Thread: Vitamin K2 page

JoeyA is offline Member

Vitamin K2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm trying to determine how much of Vitamin K2-4 (MK4) Grok would have been getting back in the day.

I was wondering if any of you have any good information on this.

So far, this is what I've come up with.

A chart from Weston A. Price

FOOD
    VITAMIN K2 (MCG/100G)
    Natto
    1103.4 (0% MK-4)
    Goose Liver Paste
    369.0 (100% MK-4)

Hard Cheeses
    76.3 (6% MK-4)
    Soft Cheeses
    56.5 (6.5% MK-4)
    Egg Yolk (Netherlands)
    32.1 (98% MK-4)
    Goose Leg
    31.0 (100% MK-4)

Curd Cheeses
    24.8 (1.6% MK-4)
    Egg Yolk (United States)
    15.5 (100% MK-4)
    Butter
    15.0 (100% MK-4)
    Chicken Liver
    14.1 (100% MK-4)
    Salami
    9.0 (100% MK-4)
    Chicken Breast
    8.9 (100% MK-4)
    Chicken Leg
    8.5 (100% MK-4)
    Ground Beef (Medium Fat)
    8.1 (100% MK-4)
    Bacon
    5.6 (100% MK-4)
    Calf Liver
    5.0 (100% MK-4)
    Sauerkraut
    4.8 (8% MK-4)
    Whole Milk
    1.0 (100% MK-4)
    2% Milk
    0.5 (100% MK-4)
    Salmon
    0.5 (100% MK-4)
    Mackerel
    0.4 (100% MK-4)
    Egg White
    0.4 (100% MK-4)
    Skim Milk
    Fat-Free Meats

This chart seems to be generated from 2 studies, one in 2000 and one in 2006. Probably on CAFO animals.

100 grams is about 1/5 to 1/4 of a pound, so assuming grok would eat a pound of meat (is this under or over estimating?), some of these would get Grok eating 150 mcg of MK4 (goose leg). goose probably wasn't CAFO like a lot of the other animals on this list.

I haven't been able to find good information on various concentrations in organs, which grok would have eaten. Maybe one (i think i've read the brain mentioned before) has very high concentrations?

How much do you think grass feeding would affect MK4 levels in animals?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm quite interested in this. I think I've read the same resources as you....WAP and Chris Masterjohn. They have this to say:

"The best sources of vitamin K2 are fermented foods and grass-fed animal fats. These foods contain a wide array of nutrients that may act synergistically with vitamin K2 in ways we do not yet understand. Price 's vitamin-rich butter and butter oil concentrate provided not only vitamin K2 but also vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and other nutrients. Nevertheless, some people may wish to supplement with vitamin K2 if they do not have access to high-quality food, wish to use a higher dose to treat a health condition, or want extra insurance."

That said I have not seen a breakdown that gives exact numbers of K2. I have seen it for Omega 3, CLA, Vitamins A and E all favorable. Actually looking at "egg yolk Netherlands" vs. "egg yolk USA" probably should give us an indication of where it trends....I would guess the Netherlands treat their chickens better than the USA.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-19-2012 at 09:53 AM.

JoeyA is offline Member
    I think the difference may be from grain vs. free range.

I think that most animals convert their K into K2 in the body, so the higher amounts of Vitamin K in the grass would result in higher concentrations of MK4 in the body/eggs lain my chickens that are free range. I've heard we aren't great converters, which would make sense if our bodies adapted to receiving MK4 through meat and therefore shut down endogenous production.

I'm mostly wondering whether or not there was some organ that had very high levels of MK4 in it or if grass fed animals had substantially higher values. It would make sense to me because we seem to tolerate high amounts of MK4 MUCH better than high amounts of MK7.

I'm a little bit wary of MK7. I've heard mention of heart palpitations, headaches, and other issues with it's supplementation (these are low doses, <500mcg), whereas people are taking 45 mg of MK4 (90x the amount of MK7) and only getting a few negative reactions.

I'm interested in supplementing with MK4 because I think it's too important to leave to chance, so I'm trying to figure out how much to supplement with.

Here is a link to another chart:
    Top food sources of vitamin K2 (Menaquinone-4)

And another (just scroll down):
    How much K2 is in grass fed butter? - PaleoHacks.com

That chart however was for total K, so some only some was vitamin K2, but a study here http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2userfiles...54_463-467.pdf showed that the majority was of Vitamin K was MK4, meaning that we can expect greater than 50% of the vitamin K in the above chart to be MK4.

pork 992 mcg in 2000 cal

beef 1102 mcg in 2000 cal

chicken 1184 in 2000 cal

cutting that in half is about 500-600 mcg per 2000 cal.

How many calories did paleolithic man get from meat?
    Last edited by JoeyA; 06-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.