Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure meds page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Blood Pressure meds

So here's my dilemma...I've been reading Protein Power Life Plan along with a more recent book by the Drs. Eades, and they suggest stopping all meds that impact liver function, including Atenolol, which my doctor prescribed last summer when I had a weird interval. (I've since thought it was probably an allergic reaction, but whatever.) He prescribed 25 mg. a day, which doesn't seem like much, but I am quite anti-pill if I don't have to take them. (I've declined statins and other potentially harmful prescriptions.)

I'm feeling MUCH better, haven't actually been back to the doctor since last summer. I've lost 30+ pounds with Primal Blueprint since last September, and I exercise more (as much as I can with arthritis and no cartilage in my knees.) I look better, I've got no GERD, acid reflux, heartburn only a couple of times in the past year, no insulin spikes or weird cravings, etc.

So I've been weaning myself off Atenonol, though they say you should do that under a doctor's supervision. Mostly I was taking it every other night, now I'm skipping two nights in a row. My BP remains good, whether I take it or not. (My husband had a home BP cuff which I monitor when I think of it.)

Anybody have any thoughts on that? After 2 nights of no pill, my BP was 121 over 73. This is GOOD, yes?
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Keep a log of when you take a pill (or 1/2 or 1/4 of a pill) and also record your BP in a log, either daily or twice daily.

Your doctor will be much more likely to go along with your self treatment if you can demonstrate objectively the effects of the treatment.

My dad did something similar. One of his pills made him sleepy, and a second pill have him nausea. He experimented with combining the doses and came up with 1/4 of 1 pill and 1/2 of the other, to get better results and no side effects from either. But since they are produced by two different pharmaceutical companies I can't ever see there being a clinical trial demonstrating the efficacy of taking them in combination the way he did. His doctor was opposed to it, but once he saw the logbook, he was ok (and i guess, seeing the writing on the wall).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Here is some great news.....It is your body, so your allowed to do what you want with it! I would monitor it of course from the standpoint of your own N=1 and coming off it a little at a time seems prudent. I would expect you'll do just fine without it. Congrats on taking the bull by the horns!

Adwan Paul is offline Junior Member
    than x Neckhammer!!
    i would also like to use it thoroughly !!
    again thanx!!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Keep a log of when you take a pill (or 1/2 or 1/4 of a pill) and also record your BP in a log, either daily or twice daily.
    Taking a portion of the pill is better than skipping days, this will keep your blood dosage level stable. Providing better more useful data.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

Your doctor will be much more likely to go along with your self treatment if you can demonstrate objectively the effects of the treatment.

My dad did something similar. One of his pills made him sleepy, and a second pill have him nausea. He experimented with combining the doses and came up with 1/4 of 1 pill and 1/2 of the other, to get better results and no side effects from either. But since they are produced by two different pharmaceutical companies I can't ever see there being a clinical trial demonstrating the efficacy of taking them in combination the way he did. His doctor was opposed to it, but once he saw the logbook, he was ok (and i guess, seeing the writing on the wall).
    Good advice, thanks! I took half a pill last night, we'll see how the old BP reads this morning. And good for your dad!
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Here is some great news.....It is your body, so your allowed to do what you want with it! I would monitor it of course from the standpoint of your own N=1 and coming off it a little at a time seems prudent. I would expect you'll do just fine without it. Congrats on taking the bull by the horns!
    It is mine indeed, Neckhammer! That's why I've declined statins and meds for bone densitiy...I just adjusted my diet and got more sunshine, plus taking vitamin D. I do plan to be around for a nice long time, though, so the Eades' advice to just STOP taking Atenolol seemed a tad abrupt. And thanks!
    Best--
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Taking a portion of the pill is better than skipping days, this will keep your blood dosage level stable. Providing better more useful data.
    Yes, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. Of course I never go to a doctor unless I really NEED to, but I've been thinking new numbers might be useful. I'd like to see what Primal Blueprint is doing inside me, too...I'm pretty impressed with what I can track myself.
    Best--
    Kate

So, I'm down to 1/4 pill a day, unless I forget altogether, and my BP is running pretty consistently 116 or 119 (so far, tops usually in the 120s) over 70-something, unless I've just been exerting myself. Feeling good! (Still haven't gone to the doctor to have numbers checked, but what the heck...)

Thanks for the good advice, guys!
    Best--
    Kate

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The last few days have popped up into the 130s systolic, no idea why (down to 124/66 today, though, so good)...and I DID go to the doctor for a Well Woman checkup this week, waiting for lab results. It was really not that great at the doctor's, but not a big surprise I don't think. I REALLY expect better numbers than last year, and certainly showed a significant weight loss. More on our home scale, natch, but still...good.
    Last edited by Kate Ruckman; 08-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Best--
    Kate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast