Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I am a terrible sleeper, help me! page 4

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    I've have naturally done this at times ( for reasons unknown) but rarely. I cant say I remember extra energy the following days. Though I found Lucid Dreams are more common and often very clear when returning to bed. Accidental and intentional W.I.L.D. seems to occur more regularly after a few REM cycles followed by break in sleep - though it's a bit off topic.

So how do you wake up in the middle of the night? Alarm?
    Do you ideally wake after your second REM period? Do you use a smartphone movement based alarm app?

The segmented sleep problem may apply to a friend of mine - I'll pass the link to him.
    Nope, I use a little thing called agenda, for example, if my circadian rhythm is more-or-less where it should be after waking up at the same time a lot of days in a row, then I go to sleep after 12-13 hours from waking up and I wake up naturally after 5.5 hours, then I wake up.

After around 1 hour and a half I go to bed and sleep till I naturally wake up after 4 hours of sleep, then I stay for a bit in bed and then CORTISOL-FUELED EUPHORY.

And no alarms, never, but a trusty clock to time things out.

Quote Originally Posted by nellis_1986 View Post
    haha. With all due respect, aren't you being as narrow minded as you're claiming me to be? I did preface what I said with "different types of insomnia". There are different reasons why one cannot get to sleep at night. Not everyone is the same and we all have different types of sleeping problems, habits and disorders. Some may be more simple to fix than others. Others may be more comprehensive and take more time. If what you're saying is true, then I would have always had this problem. I've gone to bed in past times, and slept so long and hard that my head hurt from over sleeping. The only times that ever changed was when I was under stress or not eating as well as I could have. Skipping meals, eating whatever I had to at the time, with little options, etc etc. As far as self medicating, I am one hundred percent against it. I don't believe in drugs. I do however believe in nutrition and the holistic side of the spectrum. I believe it's best to get your nutrients out of the foods you eat, rather than taking a supplement. It's more efficient. I also realize that what might work for someone, may not work for others. I tried the potato starch late at night.. and not only did it not help me sleep, it kept me awake all night. lol. I appreciate the thought though. After having read up on why I had that response was "tyramine". A compound found in many different things. Potatoes being one of them. Especially the starch. It acts as a stimulant to the brain. Perhaps in some people it may not affect them that way? Since someone said it worked for them. But anyway.. My point is, to not be so quick to point a finger and claim that one person's problem fits all. Because it doesn't.
    In the same way that the primal diet works for most people, so does segmented sleep. Any sort of food combination may help your present insomnia, but a better sleep pattern could also help.

And the fact that you slept perfectly through the night doesn't prove anything, you would have slept better if you had woken in the middle of night, and now you can too!
    Last edited by Miguelinileugim; 06-10-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Cats with flamethrowers

nellis_1986 is offline Junior Member
    You kind of sound ridiculous. No offense. Broken sleep has never helped me, nor has it made me sleep better. Doctors will even tell you that. We all know our bodies, according to ourselves. I know my pattern. I know what works for me, and I know when I feel good and when I am tired and dragging myself around like a zombie. Elevated cortisol, hormonal imbalances, allergies (adverse reactions from food), emotional stress, and I'm sure an imbalanced circadian rhythm can all contribute to sleeplessness. I don't think it's serendipity or a coincidence that I just started having this problem (which is now resolving itself), as soon as I went through an extremely stressful period in my life.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am with you, Nellis. I much prefer sleeping through the night. I have to say that I haven't enjoyed this much sleep for a while, and I am half the mind of keep buying glucomannan. I tried melatonin pills btw before, and they did nothing except annoyed me with the necessity to keep it under the tongue & yuk taste.

Otzi, I think it is a combination of both the glucommannan and the higher body fat%. All things point me to the fact that I am healthier when I am plumper.

If I have sour cherries crop this year (my cherries are in their 3rd year) I will try the juice. I LOVE sour cherries & can't wait for the crops to start coming. Question: can one just eat the cherries, not juice them? Pitting will be annoying.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

OK OK, you're free to enjoy that artificial post-industrial unhealthy sleep of yours, personally I'll go primal with sleep and wake up euphoric every day.

nellis_1986 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am with you, Nellis. I much prefer sleeping through the night. I have to say that I haven't enjoyed this much sleep for a while, and I am half the mind of keep buying glucomannan. I tried melatonin pills btw before, and they did nothing except annoyed me with the necessity to keep it under the tongue & yuk taste.

Otzi, I think it is a combination of both the glucommannan and the higher body fat%. All things point me to the fact that I am healthier when I am plumper.

If I have sour cherries crop this year (my cherries are in their 3rd year) I will try the juice. I LOVE sour cherries & can't wait for the crops to start coming. Question: can one just eat the cherries, not juice them? Pitting will be annoying.

I've tried melatonin pills in the past and they never worked for me either. Synthesized supplements that aren't derived from the food source in itself, don't seem to work as well as getting it naturally through your diet. I suppose you could eat the cherries and possibly get the same effect over time. It would be easier to just buy a bottle of organic tart cherry juice. Make sure it says organic and "tart" There's dark cherry juice available as well, and I don't think it's as potent as the "tart" kind of cherry juice. I just know that I've tried everything and so far this has been the only thing that seems to be helping. That and avoiding stressful situations.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nellis_1986 View Post
    Doctors will even tell you that
    This bit adds nothing to the argument.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    Nope, I use a little thing called agenda, for example, if my circadian rhythm is more-or-less where it should be after waking up at the same time a lot of days in a row, then I go to sleep after 12-13 hours from waking up and I wake up naturally after 5.5 hours, then I wake up.

After around 1 hour and a half I go to bed and sleep till I naturally wake up after 4 hours of sleep, then I stay for a bit in bed and then CORTISOL-FUELED EUPHORY.

And no alarms, never, but a trusty clock to time things out.
    Ok, interesting.
    I see Mark has a few articles on segmented sleep - I'll read a bit more on this.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I suppose you could eat the cherries and possibly get the same effect over time. It would be easier to just buy a bottle of organic tart cherry juice. Make sure it says organic and "tart" There's dark cherry juice available as well, and I don't think it's as potent as the "tart" kind of cherry juice. I just know that I've tried everything and so far this has been the only thing that seems to be helping. That and avoiding stressful situations.
    Sour cherries are different in their nutritional make-up than sweet cherries. I am wary of commercial fruit juices, because they make me break out, cherry's one of them (orange and currants are worse). I haven't drunk commercial juice for many years now, but I juice my own veggies and fruit.

Anyway, thank you for the tip, and I am now waiting to see if the trees will make berries even more impatiently!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234