Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am a terrible sleeper, help me! page 3

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    EVERYBODY LISTEN

OK, I want to be clear, you're all suffering the consequences of a monophasic sleep pattern, which is as unnatural as the SAD diet and sedentarism combined.

I could give the speech myself, but I'd like to credit the author properly, so please, for the sake of the gods and your health, read this:
    Segmented Sleep | Polyphasic Society

Summary:
    -If you wake up in the middle of the night halfway of your sleep, WAKE UP
    -When you wake up, stay awake for a minimum of an hour and a half
    -This is the best time of the day for over-eighteen activities and lucid dreaming (try it! it's very hard but really worth it!)
    -Yet another bad thing you can blame on society! High five!

P.S: If you checked other articles or the forum you would learn much much more.

simon s is offline Junior Member
    I know people who monophasic sleep and they do well on it, but I wouldn't be recommending it to everyone, certainly not without medical advice.

I also wouldn't be recommending waking for a minimum of 90 minutes. If you're suffering from lack of sleep, getting up for 90 minutes isn't going to help.

Experimentation may be the key.

It takes 7 - 21 days to become entrained to a new sleep pattern, so a few weeks of making sure you get to sleep at the same time and using the same pre-sleep programme it what should be recommended.

It may be that a sleep, wake, sleep pattern is what suits you, but I wouldn't be jumping straight in.

Well, if you go to sleep 90 minutes before, problem solved. First is sleep debt, then segmentation, then my secret to waking up euphoric.

And there's no need for 7-21 days, maybe a couple of days to de-monophase yourself, and then you should wake in the middle of the night around the same time, I wake up every day after exactly 5 hours and half, without alarm or any training at all, just like nature intended.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Ditto, although I wake up to pee... a lot. Anyhow, the only tip I really have is to nap when you can. I work from home and don't have children so following that advice is likely easier for me.... I also nap quite readily.

simon s is offline Junior Member
    That's fine, but we shouldn't be making recommendations on what works for us. That is being a poor coach, just like the gym instructor who bases your routine around his because that's what works for him.

Hours travelled, hours worked, diet, hydration, relaxation time, spouse, children etc all need to be taken into account when making a recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by simon s View Post
    That's fine, but we shouldn't be making recommendations on what works for us. That is being a poor coach, just like the gym instructor who bases your routine around his because that's what works for him.

Hours travelled, hours worked, diet, hydration, relaxation time, spouse, children etc all need to be taken into account when making a recommendation.
    Of course, he should try to make his own sleep schedule, but ideally it would be segmented and with a nap if it were possible, I'm only telling my personal experience

nellis_1986 is offline Junior Member
    Okay. I think I have helped my sleeping problem a bit. I happened to be watching Dr. Oz. It was sheer coincidence, that he just happened to be talking about sleep disorders/insomnia and so on. Anyway. He suggested drinking a glass of organic tart cherry juice an hour before bedtime. It has melatonin in it at it's purest nutritional form. Depending on what kind of sleep disorder you may suffer from, it might work for you guys. I wasn't sure why I wasn't sleeping. I was pretty convinced that it was stress related. I also think I had some neurotransmitter deficiencies happening as well. Anyway. I decided to try it (you can get this at pretty much any grocery store) Just have to look hard for it. So I tried it, since I had pretty much tried everything already. I wasn't going into this with anything to lose. First night, I noticed I fell asleep faster than I had been. Second night, I slept from midnight to 5am without waking up once. Third night, I slept from midnight to 6am without waking up.. Tonight will be my 4th night and I am convinced that it's helping. Up until these last few days, I had been having trouble falling and staying asleep. The cherry juice seems to be working. It's worth a try for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by nellis_1986 View Post
    Okay. I think I have helped my sleeping problem a bit. I happened to be watching Dr. Oz. It was sheer coincidence, that he just happened to be talking about sleep disorders/insomnia and so on. Anyway. He suggested drinking a glass of organic tart cherry juice an hour before bedtime. It has melatonin in it at it's purest nutritional form. Depending on what kind of sleep disorder you may suffer from, it might work for you guys. I wasn't sure why I wasn't sleeping. I was pretty convinced that it was stress related. I also think I had some neurotransmitter deficiencies happening as well. Anyway. I decided to try it (you can get this at pretty much any grocery store) Just have to look hard for it. So I tried it, since I had pretty much tried everything already. I wasn't going into this with anything to lose. First night, I noticed I fell asleep faster than I had been. Second night, I slept from midnight to 5am without waking up once. Third night, I slept from midnight to 6am without waking up.. Tonight will be my 4th night and I am convinced that it's helping. Up until these last few days, I had been having trouble falling and staying asleep. The cherry juice seems to be working. It's worth a try for you all.
    For the sake of god, STOP IT.

Melatonin is just a temporary solution to a real problem, and that real problem is called evolution.

We're NOT adapted to sleep through the night, that's why so many of us have sleep problems, trying to take melatonin to sleep against nature is subverting it, just read the damn link and wake up in the middle of the night for 1 and a half hour every day:
    Last edited by Miguelinileugim; 06-09-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Ninja cat-pirates

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    We're NOT adapted to sleep through the night, that's why so many of us have sleep problems, trying to take melatonin to sleep against nature is subverting it, just read the damn link and wake up in the middle of the night for 1 and a half hour every day:
    I've have naturally done this at times ( for reasons unknown) but rarely. I cant say I remember extra energy the following days. Though I found Lucid Dreams are more common and often very clear when returning to bed. Accidental and intentional W.I.L.D. seems to occur more regularly after a few REM cycles followed by break in sleep - though it's a bit off topic.

So how do you wake up in the middle of the night? Alarm?
    Do you ideally wake after your second REM period? Do you use a smartphone movement based alarm app?

The segmented sleep problem may apply to a friend of mine - I'll pass the link to him.

nellis_1986 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    For the sake of god, STOP IT.

Melatonin is just a temporary solution to a real problem, and that real problem is called evolution.

haha. With all due respect, aren't you being as narrow minded as you're claiming me to be? I did preface what I said with "different types of insomnia". There are different reasons why one cannot get to sleep at night. Not everyone is the same and we all have different types of sleeping problems, habits and disorders. Some may be more simple to fix than others. Others may be more comprehensive and take more time. If what you're saying is true, then I would have always had this problem. I've gone to bed in past times, and slept so long and hard that my head hurt from over sleeping. The only times that ever changed was when I was under stress or not eating as well as I could have. Skipping meals, eating whatever I had to at the time, with little options, etc etc. As far as self medicating, I am one hundred percent against it. I don't believe in drugs. I do however believe in nutrition and the holistic side of the spectrum. I believe it's best to get your nutrients out of the foods you eat, rather than taking a supplement. It's more efficient. I also realize that what might work for someone, may not work for others. I tried the potato starch late at night.. and not only did it not help me sleep, it kept me awake all night. lol. I appreciate the thought though. After having read up on why I had that response was "tyramine". A compound found in many different things. Potatoes being one of them. Especially the starch. It acts as a stimulant to the brain. Perhaps in some people it may not affect them that way? Since someone said it worked for them. But anyway.. My point is, to not be so quick to point a finger and claim that one person's problem fits all. Because it doesn't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast