Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can thyroid gland regenerate? page

lindacat is offline Junior Member

Can thyroid gland regenerate?

Primal Fuel
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid when I was 18. I am now 62 and have been on thyroid supplement all my life; currently on Armour Thyroid for 10+ years and feel great. However, I was just curious about whether or not the damage/destruction to the thyroid that is caused by Hashimoto's can ever be reversed? - i.e. will I ever be able to stop taking the Armour thyroid? Just curious if anyone had any thoughts - I have been Paleo only for 3 months, but losing weight and inches and loving the way I feel now!

Paleobird Guest
    I am not an expert on Hashimoto's but my thyroid took a serious beating from chemotherapy and is now back to full healthy function again.

Our bodies can do an amazing amount of healing if we quit poisoning them. Keep at it.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lindacat View Post
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid when I was 18. I am now 62 and have been on thyroid supplement all my life; currently on Armour Thyroid for 10+ years and feel great. However, I was just curious about whether or not the damage/destruction to the thyroid that is caused by Hashimoto's can ever be reversed? - i.e. will I ever be able to stop taking the Armour thyroid? Just curious if anyone had any thoughts - I have been Paleo only for 3 months, but losing weight and inches and loving the way I feel now!
    Dr. Buist at the Yahoo Iodine Group says yes. Join her group for individual help, over 6,000 members have had success.
    iodine : Iodine
    She also gives you all the documentation required to get you started on the path to healing your thyroid & all of this is $free.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-18-2012 at 12:14 PM.

otzi Guest
    8 years ago, my TSH was in the 60's and T4 very low. Doc started me on Synthroid, and I was on it for 7 years. I started questioning him about why I was on it, he said I either had an autoimmune condition or some other cause. I stopped taking the Synthroid, went back in 3 months and my TSH was just slightly elevated, T4 slightly low, no autoimmune. I started taking 5-6 kelp pills and 3-4 brazil nuts (iodine and selenium) and now my TSH, T4 and T3 are all in normal range. Doc just said "Hummph, maybe you had thyroiditis and didn't need to be on Synthroid afterall." I had been primal for about a year when I stopped taking Synthroid. Your mileage may vary--please keep your doc in the loop and test often.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    8 years ago, my TSH was in the 60's and T4 very low. Doc started me on Synthroid, and I was on it for 7 years. I started questioning him about why I was on it, he said I either had an autoimmune condition or some other cause. I stopped taking the Synthroid, went back in 3 months and my TSH was just slightly elevated, T4 slightly low, no autoimmune. I started taking 5-6 kelp pills and 3-4 brazil nuts (iodine and selenium) and now my TSH, T4 and T3 are all in normal range. Doc just said "Hummph, maybe you had thyroiditis and didn't need to be on Synthroid afterall." I had been primal for about a year when I stopped taking Synthroid. Your mileage may vary--please keep your doc in the loop and test often.
    Wise words. Please don't go self-diagnosing and experimenting with extreme dosages just because a website says so. Excess iodine can be just as dangerous if not more so than insufficient iodine.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well since it is an autoimmune disorder I would be focusing on an autoimmune paleo approach first off.

Another thing....for Grizz, I have read that treating hashimoto's with iodine is like pouring gas on a fire. It increases levels of TPO which in turn increases levels of TPO antibodies indicating an autoimmune flare up. I have not read much of the pro-iodine stuff, but if you have anything to that specifically I would be interested.

I've read for many other forms of hypothyroid iodine is very much an important supplement....just not advisable in these autoimmune instances.

otzi Guest
    My biggest obstacle was making my doctor understand why I wanted off Synthroid. I had gotten off meds for high bp, high chol, high trigs, and gout, but telling him I wanted off the Synthroid was not cool at all with him. He said Sythroid is just as good as what your thyroid puts out, except I don't quite buy that. First off, it's synthetic and not really identical. Secondly, a normal functioning thyroid also produces T1 and T2 and possibly other things not fully understood by modern medicine. Thirdly, natural seasonal and circadian rhythms of thyroid hormones are disrupted when on thyroid replacement therapy.

If you have to take it, you don't have any other choice, ie. autoimmune or no thyroid. But I proved them wrong when they told me 'Synthroid is for life'.

If you have to stay on the medicine, be glad you are taking Armour--my doc wouldn't even consider it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well since it is an autoimmune disorder I would be focusing on an autoimmune paleo approach first off.

Another thing....for Grizz, I have read that treating hashimoto's with iodine is like pouring gas on a fire. It increases levels of TPO which in turn increases levels of TPO antibodies indicating an autoimmune flare up. I have not read much of the pro-iodine stuff, but if you have anything to that specifically I would be interested.

I've read for many other forms of hypothyroid iodine is very much an important supplement....just not advisable in these autoimmune instances.
    Thank you. Yes, to the OP, please be careful and include your doctor.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

Dr. Buist who owns the Yahoo Iodine Group is extremely well qualified to discuss & treat your autoimmune disorder. She has a proven track record of success with her 6,000 members.
    iodine : Iodine

I can say this, iodine requires supplements to treat your autoimmune disorder. The required supplements totally prevent thyroid flare-ups and Dr. Buist has years of experience with this.

If you were to join our own iodine group, I would send you directly to Dr. Buist.

Grizz

Paleobird Guest
    Anyone making medical diagnoses over the net without ever meeting their "patient" is not a real doctor, IMO, and should have their license revoked. That is the height of irresponsibility.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast