Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can thyroid gland regenerate? page 5

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Grizz. You do this all the time. Whenever anyone has ANY problem, they're automatically deficient in the next miracle nutrient or must go through the latest protocol in order to get their health back. You go through phases where all you seem to do is promote the next best thing in every thread where the poster has a problem that they would like advice on, regardless of what the problem actually is. There are no silver bullets.

Nobody is disputing the importance of Iodine; they're disputing the importance of being cautious instead of ramming head-first into the latest health craze and possibly making themselves worse because of their lack of concrete evidence and insight.

Seriously, quit with the fads. It gets old REAL fast.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    Owl, can you point me to a credible source that says bromine is an inhibitor of iodine?
    Joey, I have been reading a lot of articles on iodine over the past year. Most will state that all halogens compete for the same receptors. Hakala Labs, Hakala Research - Home where I had my testing done, also tests for bromide. I had both iodine and bromide tested. I was low in iodine, and high in bromide. When I retest, I expect to find that's I'm high in iodine and low in bromide, which will mean that iodine has kicked out the bromide. My diet during this time is consistant, I've been gluten free for 2 years, and totally grain free for 1 year.

From Hakala Labs Hakala Research - Home
    "If the body is exposed to excess bromide, it can result in the bromide interfering with Iodine utilization in the body and creating a state of iodine deficiency.
    While your body has receptors for and needs iodine to make thyroid hormone, there is no known physiologic usefor bromide in the body. When bromide binds to the iodine receptors in the thyroid gland, it disrupts the normal physiologic functioning of that gland.
    The body is very slow at eliminating bromide. The normal half life of Bromide is 12 days and in cases of salt restriction and chronic bromide exposure, the half life of Bromide can be as high as 40-50 days.
    People who ingest bromide may feel dull and apathetic and have difficulty concentration. Bromide also causes depression, headaches and irritability.
    When iodine is deficient, the toxicity of bromide is accelerated.
    Bromide toxicity may develop when bromide, acquired through environmental or dietary exposure causes bromide levels in the body to rise high enough to inhibit iodine utilization. Iodine supplementation will increase bromide excretion thereby reducing bromide toxicity."

This article from King Arthur Flour shows that potassium bromate used to condition bread dough is also a possible carcinogen, and has been banned in many countries. Bromate Fact Sheet - King Arthur Flour

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Oh good lord!

I'll post some more about the dangers of high dose iodine. The fact that you seem to hang your hat on 2 complete hacks like Dr davis and Dr kruse should give people more than enough reason to have cynicism on your recommendations.
    Thank you.

But he HAS to be RIGHT because he uses CAPITAL letters. Oh, good lord, indeed.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Grizz. You do this all the time. Whenever anyone has ANY problem, they're automatically deficient in the next miracle nutrient or must go through the latest protocol in order to get their health back. You go through phases where all you seem to do is promote the next best thing in every thread where the poster has a problem that they would like advice on, regardless of what the problem actually is. There are no silver bullets.

Nobody is disputing the importance of Iodine; they're disputing the importance of being cautious instead of ramming head-first into the latest health craze and possibly making themselves worse because of their lack of concrete evidence and insight.

Seriously, quit with the fads. It gets old REAL fast.
    When your "evidence and insight" are a list of vague symptoms that could apply to many conditions found on a blog such as "I feel tired", that is not enough reason to be dosing yourself with a potentially harmful substance.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Joey, I have been reading a lot of articles on iodine over the past year. Most will state that all halogens compete for the same receptors. Hakala Labs, Hakala Research - Home where I had my testing done, also tests for bromide. I had both iodine and bromide tested. I was low in iodine, and high in bromide. When I retest, I expect to find that's I'm high in iodine and low in bromide, which will mean that iodine has kicked out the bromide. My diet during this time is consistant, I've been gluten free for 2 years, and totally grain free for 1 year.
    I have no objection to what Owl is doing. This is the safe and sane way to approach it.

belphoebe is offline Junior Member

Please do not take iodine if you have Hashimoto's or a selenium deficiency

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Anyone making medical diagnoses over the net without ever meeting their "patient" is not a real doctor, IMO, and should have their license revoked. That is the height of irresponsibility.
    I made the mistake of taking iodine, thinking I was doing something good for myself and I got iodine induced autoimmune hypothyroidism. It DESTROYED my thyroid and sent my life into a tailspin. STAY AWAY FROM IODINE TREATMENTS PLEASE! THEY ARE DANGEROUS. Especially for the thyroid. A once daily supplement and a proper diet will give you all the iodine you need. Anything more is dangerous. Take it from me. Don't make the same mistake I made. I almost died and am lucky to be alive. Find a doctor you trust, preferably an MD who also does TCM. Consult with that doctor before you take ANYTHING. A good doctor would know iodine is, yes, like throwing gasoline on a fire for hashimotos. Stay away!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    OP has Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. I have that same condition, and it is IRRESPONSIBLE for anyone to suggestion iodine supplementation. As someone has mentioned, with Hashi's, that's like throwing gasoline on the fire; it will cause further problems.

The OP's question about 'regeneration' of the thyroid can be answered simply. It doesn't happen with Hashi's. I've only been diagnosed for 10 years (the OP much longer), and an ENT doctor I consulted about another issue commented that my thyroid was likely 'dead' by now. The OP has had this disease much longer, and damage to the thyroid is likely extensive. No reputable physician talks about 'regeneration' of the thyroid gland that has been attacked by Hashi's.

I take both T4 and T3 hormones, since it's characteristic of Hashi's to have 'conversion' problems. When that happened, and my T3 tanked, I was a total basket case. I know only too well how I would be unable to function without my thyroid hormones, and my body simply doesn't produce enough for me to function without supplemental hormones.

I don't like the idea that I must take these hormones for the rest of my life, but I like the alternative a lot less. At age 71, my thyroid hormones are the only Rx I take, but they are essential to keep me healthy since the thyroid controls so many bodily functions.

Any questions about treatment should be referred to one's personal physician--not debated on the internet by people who know little about this condition but have strong opinions.
    Last edited by emmie; 02-26-2013 at 04:39 PM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by belphoebe View Post
    I made the mistake of taking iodine, thinking I was doing something good for myself and I got iodine induced autoimmune hypothyroidism. It DESTROYED my thyroid and sent my life into a tailspin. STAY AWAY FROM IODINE TREATMENTS PLEASE! THEY ARE DANGEROUS. Especially for the thyroid. A once daily supplement and a proper diet will give you all the iodine you need. Anything more is dangerous. Take it from me. Don't make the same mistake I made. I almost died and am lucky to be alive. Find a doctor you trust, preferably an MD who also does TCM. Consult with that doctor before you take ANYTHING. A good doctor would know iodine is, yes, like throwing gasoline on a fire for hashimotos. Stay away!
    This is kind of a bizarre first post, but thank you for sharing.

I have had been hypothyroid for almost 10 years now, with no known cause, just high TSH and cold feet. I was taking Synthroid for 8 years or so, then found PB, lost tons of weight and got into the best shape of my 48 year old life. I quit taking the Synthroid and my TSH crept slowly up. When it got out of range, I started on Armour. The Armour corrected it very slowly and made me feel hyperthyroid. My T3 was out-of-range high and T4 low-normal. New doc put me back on Synthroid and we are tweaking it now.

In numerous visits to respected Endocrinologists over the years, not one ever mentioned an Iodine deficiency. I was toying a few years ago with doing the iodine drops, but decided to eat tons of seafood and a brazil nut a day (selenium). Eating 4-8 oz a day of good salmon, oysters, sardines, or shrimp etc... did absolutely nothing for my thyroid.

I'm glad I did not go crazy with iodine after reading this today.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    About 4 years ago I did a biofeedback at a local healthfood store. Thyroid came up as being a problem so she suggested I take Iodoral. I don't remember how much I was taking but I took it for a while. I certainly don't remember feeling any better while taking it.
    Fast forward about 1 year and I finally talked my endo into checking my thyroid and guess what... I was hypothyroid. I have type 1 diabetes and looking back I've had hypo symptoms for 10+ years and none of my endos would check my thyroid and when they did I was put on levothyroxine and then synthroid.
    Now I'm on Naturethroid and looking into low dose naltrexone in the near future.

Anyway... looking back I think the Iodoral did more harm than good.

shoumart0 is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It has next to no chocolate in it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345