Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can thyroid gland regenerate? page 4

JoeyA is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    deleted.
    Last edited by JoeyA; 06-19-2012 at 10:09 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There's a third choice. Get. A. Blood. Test. It's not that hard. Then you would at least know what you are trying to correct and not just shooting blindly in the dark (and quite possibly shooting yourself in the thyroid).
    That's fine, I'm always a fan of getting some data. However, I think the point is that the data may not be helpful. Sort of the way Vitamin D3 levels were set at the point that would prevent rickets well before it was understood that D3 was a hormone with lots of functions outside of bone formation or the way that TSH was considered "normal" at 5 before they understood that those values could indicate disease.

None of this is really my point though. My point is that is it possible to disagree with someone on a topic without calling them stupid. The recommendations given to us by our physicians are based on the data they have at hand - which is ALWAYS flawed. That is just the nature of the beast.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    Why are there so many ad hominems on this forum? Is this common here? (I'm new)

I don't believe in the iodine stuff, but I do think it's rude to refer to people not even in the argument as a "circus" or "lemmings".
    Yeah, Joey. I probably could have chosen more polite language there but it just gets my goat to see people in danger of doing serious harm to themselves because they just believe something on an internet forum.

Also, if you read much of the iodine thread you will see that it does wander off into ridiculousness. I mean, painting your testicles with iodine, c'mon.

And the fervor with which Grizz jumps on every thread regarding any sort of ailment and assures them that they MUST supplement with iodine IMMEDIATELY or their health will SUFFER , etc. gets a little tiresome. He actually tried to talk a person out of real cancer treatment in favor of iodine the other day. The guy is a clown but he is also dangerous.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    ... iodine can be deadly for the wrong person in the wrong quantity.
    Do you have proof of this - a study that supports this? Or just anecdotes?

That's nice Grizz but how many of your band of lemmings are actually having blood tests done before taking paintbrush to testicles?
    Blood tests are not the best. A 24hr urine iodine-loading test is more reliable. And yes, I did test before starting iodine. I'm on 50mg/day now, and my body temp has gone up from 97.8 to 98.2. I've been on NatureThroid and T3 for a year, and although my bloodwork is optimal, I could never get my temp up to close to normal, until iodine.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Blood tests are not the best. A 24hr urine iodine-loading test is more reliable. And yes, I did test before starting iodine. I'm on 50mg/day now, and my body temp has gone up from 97.8 to 98.2. I've been on NatureThroid and T3 for a year, and although my bloodwork is optimal, I could never get my temp up to close to normal, until iodine.
    Great. I have nothing against this. A real test. A real deficiency. Appropriate action. Terrific.

I am not anti-iodine. I am anti-recklessness.

edit: a well balanced article about iodine : http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=18395

A quote from this article : "Taking in excess iodine can cause or worsen hypothyroidism." http://www.thyroid.org/patients/pati...hyroidism.html

And one specifically about Hashimoto's : http://suite101.com/article/iodine-a...iditis-a100630
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Baba is offline Member
    To the OP:

The antibodies of Hashimoto's destroy thyroid tissue. Somehow I cannot believe that it will simply grow back. Plus some people also believe that if you take thyroid hormones it will make your thyroid shrink because it kind of feals unemployed with all the external hormones. An ultrasound will tell you the size of your thyroid, but please note that doctors usually only know "too large" - "too small" doesn't register with them. Educate yourself.

Now with some people the thyroid will grow and not shrink, but this growth consists of scar tissue, which does not produce hormones. The ultrasound can also tell you the texture of your thyroid: basically little or no echo and/or an inhomogenous texture means scar tissue.

Personal experience: my need for thyroid hormones knows only one direction: up. Pretty stable usually, but it never went down.

That said, you can actually try to reduce/stop taking hormones. This will not kill you soon, that would take months/years. Record your symptoms and well-beeing, get labs drawn often and be ready to pull the brakes if and when things go wrong. Usually free T4 goes down and TSH (and sometimes free T3) will go up when you reduce external hormones. You probably know the symptoms of cold extremities, weight gain, tiredness, brain fog, etc.

I would personally never do that as I remember life with low thyroid all too well.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member

A quote from this article : "Taking in excess iodine can cause or worsen hypothyroidism." Hypothyroidism - Thyroid.org
    Doctors who promote iodine have found that taking 200-400mg/day of selenium for at least a month before starting iodine prevents Hashi's from getting worse from iodine.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=18395
    This article is behind the times in information. "In North America, iodine is added to salt and bread." Bread now has very little iodine. Potassium bromate is now used to condition dough, and bromides are a direct inhibitor of iodine. They compete for the same receptors.
    Only about half of US households use iodized salt. And with a lot of people eating low-salt because of hypertension, very few people get enough iodine from salt. BTW, commercially prepared foods must list "iodized salt" in their ingredients if they use it. In all my years of reading labels, I've only see that one time. So the vast majority of salt people ingest is not iodized.
    And it is not so much that we don't get adequate amounts of iodine, it's that there are so many halogens (bromide, chloride, flouride) that we now ingest that block absorption of iodine. Higher amounts of iodine are needed to kick out the halogens. Once that is accomplished, then the amount can be lowered to a maintenance level.

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/pati...hyroidism.html
    This second article sited is total CW. They say that TSH is the most important diagnostic test, Synthroid only should be prescribed, and there is no mention of Reverse T3 at all.
    Last edited by Owl; 06-19-2012 at 11:35 PM.

JoeyA is offline Member
    Owl, can you point me to a credible source that says bromine is an inhibitor of iodine?

Grizz is offline Banned
    I will conclude this discussion with Paleobird. She has made her EXTREME negativism very clear.

1) Iodine with required supplements are essential for human health

2) Iodine detoxes our bodies of Halogen Toxic chemicals, including Fluoride, Bromide, Chlorine & heavy metals
    The Bromide Dominance Theory
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

3) I have presented Doctor reports, including a video

4) I have presented testimonials

5) For more information on iodine:
    * Visit the Yahoo Iodine Group with 6,000+ members
    * Download their document, "The Guide to Supplementing with Iodine"
    * Visit our Sister Discussion Group, CureZone Iodine Group
    * Examine the many Doctor Reports & Research Reports at our Iodine References:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    * Visit the BreastCancerChoices Group

6) There is a choice between CW Doctors and Iodine Doctors
    If I ever need a doctor, I will choose one from this Iodine List.

I suggest that everyone do their own research and do what is best for your own health. If anyone has any further questions, join us at our iodine group.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45205.html

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-20-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz;874092
    6) There is a choice between CW Doctors and [URL="http://breastcancerchoices.org/ipractitioners.html"
    Iodine Doctors [/URL]
    Oh good lord!

I'll post some more about the dangers of high dose iodine. The fact that you seem to hang your hat on 2 complete hacks like Dr davis and Dr kruse should give people more than enough reason to have cynicism on your recommendations.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast