Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can thyroid gland regenerate? page 3

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Anecdote
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An anecdote is a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person. It may be as brief as the setting and provocation of a bon mot. An anecdote is always presented as based in a real incident[1] involving actual persons, whether famous or not, usually in an identifiable place. However, over time, modification in reuse may convert a particular anecdote to a fictional piece, one that is retold but is "too good to be true".

The word 'anecdote'is an amusing short story (in Greek: "unpublished", literally "not given out") comes from Procopius of Caesarea, the biographer of Justinian I, who produced a work entitled Ἀνέκδοτα (Anekdota, variously translated as Unpublished Memoirs or Secret History), which is primarily a collection of short incidents from the private life of the Byzantine court. Gradually, the term anecdote came to be applied[4] to any short tale utilized to emphasize or illustrate whatever point the author wished to make.[5]
    [edit]Qualification as Evidence

Main article: Anecdotal evidence
    Anecdotal evidence is an informal account of evidence in the form of an anecdote. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, as evidence that cannot be investigated using the scientific method. The problem with arguing based on anecdotal evidence is that anecdotal evidence is not necessarily typical; only statistical evidence can determine how typical something is. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy.
    Paleobird,
    so you are trying to tell us that that Misty's amazing success curing her fibrocystic breast pain with iodine supplements after 27 years of SUFFERING means absolutely NOTHING ? ? ?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post873407

We have dozens of similar testimonials where members of Marks Daily Apple have documented their AMAZING results from taking iodine supplements.

Just read all of the testimonials here at Iodine References.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

And you are going to try and tell us that these people & their wonderful experiences mean NOTHING ? ?

I am curious, what do you suggest people do to get their required iodine for good health? Are you trying to tell people NOT to take iodine at all ? Which form of iodine supplements do you suggest people take?

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-19-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I am curious, what do you suggest people do to get their required iodine for good health? Are you trying to tell people NOT to take iodine at all ? Which form of iodine supplements do you suggest people take?
    Grizz. Please. Take a breath.
    I never said that iodine was not an important thing for good health. I did say that too much iodine is just as bad as too little. Also that, until you have a medical diagnosis of a deficiency, supplementing based on an internet "doc's" recommendation is foolish because you could end up with too much and trash your thyroid. Vague symptoms such as "feeling tired" are not a basis for a diagnosis.

I get all the iodine I need from seafood and sea veggies. Please don't start ranting about how they are TAINTED, yada, yada. It's simply not true. That scare tactic is pushed by the people who want you to buy their "pure" iodine supplements. I prefer to get my nutrition from my food, not from pill bottles.

If someone suspects they may be deficient, they should see a real doctor, get some real bloodwork done and find out. If they really do have a deficiency, they can supplement any way they like. It's the self-diagnosis and self-experimentation with what can be a lethal substance if overdone that I find problematic.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird,
    so you are trying to tell us that that Misty's amazing success curing her fibrocystic breast pain with iodine supplements after 27 years of SUFFERING means absolutely NOTHING ? ? ?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post873407

We have dozens of similar testimonials where members of Marks Daily Apple have documented their AMAZING results from taking iodine supplements.

Just read all of the testimonials here at Iodine References.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

And you are going to try and tell us that these people & their wonderful experiences mean NOTHING ? ?

Grizz
    .....Why do you have to supplement at all.....well I googled this WHFoods: iodine ....I eat all those...eggs, raw milk, yogurt, cheese, and on and on....does this mean I have no need to supplement? Or is supplementation only for those that dont eat this stuff? Better yet if your going to ask the question of "where you get your iodine" why dont you just give a number so we can evaluate if it can be gotten by food.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Grizz. Please. Take a breath.
    I never said that iodine was not an important thing for good health. I did say that too much iodine is just as bad as too little. Also that, until you have a medical diagnosis of a deficiency, supplementing based on an internet "doc's" recommendation is foolish because you could end up with too much and trash your thyroid. Vague symptoms such as "feeling tired" are not a basis for a diagnosis.

I get all the iodine I need from seafood and sea veggies. Please don't start ranting about how they are TAINTED, yada, yada. It's simply not true. That scare tactic is pushed by the people who want you to buy their "pure" iodine supplements. I prefer to get my nutrition from my food, not from pill bottles.

If someone suspects they may be deficient, they should see a real doctor, get some real bloodwork done and find out. If they really do have a deficiency, they can supplement any way they like. It's the self-diagnosis and self-experimentation with what can be a lethal substance if overdone that I find problematic.
    Paleobird,
    I'm happy that you recommend that people take iodine supplements. How often do you recommend people eat sea foods per week?

Grizz

Paleobird Guest
    Paleobird,
    I'm happy that you recommend that people take iodine supplements. How often do you recommend people eat sea foods per week?

Grizz
    I did not recommend supplements. Eating healthy foods=/=supplementation. And it's not something that has to be x# grams/day every day. Foods containing iodine, which, as neckhammer pointed out above are myriad, not exclusively seafood, are just a part of my normal diet. If someone chooses to get their nutrition from a pill instead of their food, that is their choice. It is not mine.

Only people with real medically diagnosed deficiencies even need to worry about this.

You as the ringleader of this iodine circus really do bear a responsibility to make it clear to people that iodine can be deadly for the wrong person in the wrong quantity. How would you feel if someone on your forum following your advice died because of irresponsible use of iodine? Please. Think about it.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-19-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    That's nice Grizz but how many of your band of lemmings are actually having blood tests done before taking paintbrush to testicles?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    That's nice Grizz but how many of your band of lemmings are actually having blood tests done before taking paintbrush to testicles?
    I think it is pretty unfair to characterize everyone who is trying iodine supplementation as "lemmings". It is possible to read the research, acknowledge the risks, and still decide it is worth a shot. People with longstanding health issues that are not helped by conventional medicine are often put in the position where they are forced to experiment on themselves.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I think it is pretty unfair to characterize everyone who is trying iodine supplementation as "lemmings". It is possible to read the research, acknowledge the risks, and still decide it is worth a shot. People with longstanding health issues that are not helped by conventional medicine are often put in the position where they are forced to experiment on themselves.
    This is not a substance to be played around with. If your MD is not helping, find one who will. A real iodine deficiency is easy to diagnose by a blood test. That list of ailments on the iodine thread are almost all symptomatic of many other health conditions and/or just being overweight and out of shape.

"Forced" to risk death? I don't think so. Herd mentality, the cool supplement of the month, sounds more likely.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This is not a substance to be played around with. If your MD is not helping, find one who will. A real iodine deficiency is easy to diagnose by a blood test. That list of ailments on the iodine thread are almost all symptomatic of many other health conditions and/or just being overweight and out of shape.

"Forced" to risk death? I don't think so. Herd mentality, the cool supplement of the month, sounds more likely.
    Well, when your choices are to feel like absolute crap every day of your life or do some experimentation on yourself it is a pretty easy choice to make. Doctors and conventional medicine can be fantastic, but there are lots of diseases that they can either only help modestly or not at all. I'm not saying that iodine is the answer for anyone, I just think dismissing people who want to try something different as morons all around is pretty closed minded.

I'm not afraid to gamble a little in order to try to have a life.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Well, when your choices are to feel like absolute crap every day of your life or do some experimentation on yourself it is a pretty easy choice to make. Doctors and conventional medicine can be fantastic, but there are lots of diseases that they can either only help modestly or not at all. I'm not saying that iodine is the answer for anyone, I just think dismissing people who want to try something different as morons all around is pretty closed minded.

I'm not afraid to gamble a little in order to try to have a life.
    There's a third choice. Get. A. Blood. Test. It's not that hard. Then you would at least know what you are trying to correct and not just shooting blindly in the dark (and quite possibly shooting yourself in the thyroid).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast