Thread: 3 Day fasts page

joelprimal Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey, so I've used intermittent fasting with success, but have any of you had any experience with a slightly longer fast. To me, it seems primal; there were probably times when grok would go a few days without eating. I've been thinking of doing a 3 day water fast, and was wondering what you all though about slightly longer fasts.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I dunno... that seems like a really long time. I was reading this:

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008/08/11/part-1-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-fast-energy-production/

And it seems like up to 48 hours is probably beneficial (though shorter fasts are still beneficial), but that longer than that would be "starvation."

So maybe 2 back-to-back 36-hour fasts, with a meal in between?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I did 8 days over a year ago. Can't say I'd recommend that, nor a three-day fast. If there is any "cleansing" to be had by an extended fast, I'm pretty sure it starts after the 3 or 4 day mark, and if you're going that long, you should have a doctor's supervision. But it gets harder and harder up to that point. I'm not sure the discomfort is worth it when 24 to 36 hours seems to work fine.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

I did a 14 day water fast one time.

My energy sank to near zero (I slept 18 hours a day) and my body all but forced inactivity on me, but honestly after the second day I didn't experience real hunger.

That said, I didn't notice any real benefit from the fast.

My stomach did shrink up a bit so I had to consume smaller portions for a couple days until it stretched back out again.