Thread: Can someone help me with an explanation..... page

Mission Possible is offline Junior Member

Can someone help me with an explanation.....

I've been primal for 7 months and read a ton. However, everyone wants to know what I'm doing and when I tell them I get an common response. Oh your doing Atkins.

Now, I am NOT familiar with Atkins and don't want to waste free time studying it.

Can someone familiar give me the key differences of the two (diet only not primal laws here) or a concept of Atkins so I can better differentiate to those who say this?
    Don't just survive....THRIVE!!!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    "I try my best to avoid processed food" is probably the best thing you can say to the average person.

Atkins, in its current form, is all about demonizing carbohydrate. Food quality is not much of an issue. On the PB, we try to eat the way people ate until about a hundred years ago, when obesity was practically nonexistent and degenerative diseases were rare.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission Possible View Post
    I've been primal for 7 months and read a ton. However, everyone wants to know what I'm doing and when I tell them I get an common response. Oh your doing Atkins.

Now, I am NOT familiar with Atkins and don't want to waste free time studying it.
    But you don't mind wasting our time in typing out an answer for you?

But don't worry. That's OK. <grin>

If you were to open a copy of the latest version of the diet New Atkins New You in a bookstore and spend 5 minutes looking at the sample meals in the back, you could actually answer your own question fairly quickly.

It's mostly the same sorts of food in the same sorts of amounts. Both diets are low carbohydrate diets (although Atkins Induction phase is <20 g per day, which is Mark's "Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning" phase, which he suggests is "only for a day or two" ... unless you're diabetic. But then Induction in Atkins is optional.) The different phases in Atkins Induction, Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre-maintenance, and Lifetime Maintenance don't precisely map onto the sections in Mark's schema, but the two schemes are pretty close:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

Can someone familiar give me the key differences of the two (diet only not primal laws here) or a concept of Atkins so I can better differentiate to those who say this?
    Well, I tend to think of Paleo as being as much an attempt to eliminate novel foods that are known to cause autoimmune problems for many people as anything else. While Paleo is low-carb (but not generally as low as the figures Mark gives for Primal in the diagram linked above) that's perhaps a lesser concern. i think it's as much about eliminating certain foods as anything. (There are also a heap of lesser concerns around omega-3/6 ratios and so on ... but then those aren't unique to Paleo).

I think Primal has the same concern with "novel" foods -- "neolithic foods", as people sometimes say -- as Paleo. That's not generally a worry for Atkins, which includes dairy products -- minimized in Primal and totally absent in Paleo. Atkins might let you have the occasional piece of toast, too, since, again, problems with gluten haven't historically been on the Atkins radar.

There are no precise borders between these different ways of eating. The current version of Atkins tends to emphasize food quality more than the original one did. But you could say Primal's more about food quality and the elimination of foods that cause food sensitivities.

You could say to these questioners something like, "Yes, i do eat a fairly low carbohydrate diet, but I also like to emphasize whole foods and and to eat gluten- and casein- free."

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Atkins is about low carb.
    Primal/Paleo is NOT about low carb but eating whole real foods and removing those foods that are potentially toxic to the body.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

AussieNana is offline Member
    They come from slightly different theoretical backgrounds but in practice I eat the same things on the Paleo as I did on the Atkins.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, are you doing Atkins? If you aren't then tell them, no, it's not the same because you don't count carbohydrates. You get all your carbohydrates from roots and tubers and fruit.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I just tell people I eat real food that agrees with my body.

I don't know how anyone would confuse primal with Atkins, when even the LC version of primal has you eating the carb equivalent of 2 cups of rice a day. Many of us who are done healing our bodies don't limit carbs at all.

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    When I get that question, I just tell people that Atkins is for beginners. I don't count anything, I don't eat meal replacement bars, I don't eat low-carb bread and tortillas, and I eat a whole lot more fruit and veggies than I did in my Atkins-following past.
    Ed W. Age:35 Height: 6'4"
    SW: 289 (1/1/12) CW: 195 (11/1/12) GW: < 200 (Hit 198 on 10/3/12) Now onto body comp.