Thread: Tribal Living page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Tribal Living

I just wanted to share my that I got to spend 5 days living totally tribal at my annual get-away to Wickerman. Nearly naked, waking with the sun, eating and swimming at our leisure, sleeping when tired. Lots of walking, some running, carrying heavy things. Only thing not Primal was the amount of booze ingested, but even by our usual standards I didn't drink that much. I even ended up bringing some home!

Most Primal moment... squatted next to the dish-washing pans, washing the camp's breakfast dishes, wearing only a sarong. Perfect moment.

It was just a really great week. It's nice getting to experience what it really means to be a native human, even for just one week out of the year. Only 360 days until Wickerman 2013. *sigh*

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure there was plenty of mind altering substances pre-agriculture, just not beer Sounds awsome.

I'm very much looklng forward to our solstice gathering this Wednesday with my 'tribe' though with all the kids there won't be any mind altering substances, they do your head in enough without being stoned. Nakedness is also mainly kept to the under fives for some reason too.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Sounds interesting. Wickerman as in Wiccan culture?

Wickerman is an art event. Mostly it's about gifting and radical self-expression. Many Pagans go, but there are all kinds of people. My camp alone has Pagans, atheists, Christians and people in between.

Wickerman Burn

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I wish Christians were more en masse "in" to this type of culture. I love it. Lots of oldschool hippies were Christian and/or vice versa. Such a joyful communion.

Didja get any pictures? I saw some on the gallery you linked but it'd be cool to see your personal experience.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    Wow! Sounds interesting. Wickerman as in Wiccan culture?
    Wiccan culture? I must have missed something not being brought up in America.

The wicker man is something the Celts were supposed to have constructed in which burn people as human sacrifices. Caesar refers to this -- IIRC, in the Gallic War, but I don't recall where in the text:

Gaul is divided into three parts ...
    The Internet Classics Archive | The Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar

It provides a theme for horror films -- there was a 1970s film with Edward Woodward in which people on a Scottish Island in the 1970s were burning people alive as human sacrifices. About as likely as finding a snowball in the Sahara but I suppose it makes good entertainment.

The reality behind comments in someone like Caesar, who was writing for an audience for personal political ends and not trying to be accurate anyway, is difficult to gauge. The civilization he was writing about was not itself literate but an oral culture and has left no written records. There's so much room for misunderstandings and miscomprehension and tall tales.

And who were "the Celts" were anyway? Whole books have been written on the subject.

BBC - History - Ancient History in depth: Peoples of Britain

As for whether the Celts ever did burn anyone alive, there's no way to know now. They certainly seem to have practiced human sacrifice, since there's not only source material from the classical world that suggests that but, for example, archaeological evidence of sacrificial pits with spikes for impalement and traces of human (and animal) DNA:

http://www.amazon.com/Druids-Ancient...dp/0500273634/

But did they burn people in wicker structures? ... "maybe". That's about all you can say.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I wish Christians were more en masse "in" to this type of culture. I love it. Lots of oldschool hippies were Christian and/or vice versa. Such a joyful communion.

Didja get any pictures? I saw some on the gallery you linked but it'd be cool to see your personal experience.
    I have a handful of pics, some of me, but none that are really internet-safe. LOL