Thread: coping with RA page

lindab is offline Junior Member

coping with RA

I've recenlty been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and have turned into a walking pharmacy, which I hate, with little relief from the pain and swelling. Apparently the meds take some time for results to be evident. Right now, I'm taking plaquenil and methotrexate. While not strictly primal, since starting to follow MDA 3 years ago, I've drastically reduced my intake of grains, sugar and processed foods. I also started exercising more regularly and was feeling healthy and fit. I was rarely sick and thought my immune system to be pretty tough. This diagnosis came as a complete shock. I'd be interested to know of other MDA followers who have RA and how you are managing it.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My husband has psoriatic arthristis, which is similar to RA. For him, flares seem to be directly triggered by stress and not related to diet at all. However, I've heard of a lot of people having success with avoiding nightshades.

Also, LDN (low dose naltrexone) has been a godsend for some people with autoimmune issues - it didn't work for either of us, unfortunately, but I highly recommend doing some research on it if you haven't already.

Methotrexate is serious - my husband was advised to take it and refused because he was terrified of the side effects. I'm sure you've done a ton of reading about it already and understand the risks.

I would suggest doing things that reduce your overall inflammation - another thing you might want to look into (if you haven't already) is cold showers/ice baths. There's a Cold Water thread that has lots of great links with personal accounts of how people are using cold to treat a variety of health issues. I, myself, am having really great results with it, and I can see that it's helping to reduce my inflammation issues.

Best of luck! I hear you on the walking medecine cabinet thing - it takes a lot of determination to seek a different direction, it's not eay, but it's worth the energy invested.