Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: High Cholesterol and terrified! page 7

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    When I ate fat like that my weight sky rocketed!
    I use MCT oil as directed by my Ketogenic dietician. It helps keep me in ketosis. I deont have loads of it though - about 3 tsp a day maximum.
    Keep listening to your dietician. Get the cholesterol rechecked at some future point. It can vary quite a bit from one test to another.

yogashmoga is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalTatoolover View Post
    I suggest not drinking any damn coffee at all, anything that fiddles around with your hormones like coffee does isnt worth it. not to mention the addictive properties to it, oh yeah and the fact that most coffee beans are such bad quality the microtoxins attached to them fudge the living shit out of people. Free yourself from coffee people, water is all you need.
    water is all YOU need. i give up a lot in life in pursuit of health/fitness and have given up coffee before. coffee in moderation is an indulgence i'll likely keep.

looking for info on french-pressed coffee and cholesterol, specifically. would love your resources if you see this, jammies.
    this wounded bear is gonna find ALL the answers...health, reveal thyself!!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I will say that there are a few good reasons to have a spoonful of coconut oil every day. I don't cook with it, I cook with butter because I really didn't like the taste when I did. But I am trying to heal some brain issues, and supposedly coconut oil is good for that. So, when I remember (which is, ironically, one of my brain issues) I have a spoonful each day.

On the other hand, I don't really give a rat's ass about my cholesterol right now, or any other numbers for that matter.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    I have familial hypercholesterolemia, apparently my liver does not have enough receptors to remove oxidized LDL from my system. My last test came back horrible, with unexplainable high TG (93) and my APOB is so bad doctors put me on statins the same day.
    I hate statins, I feel like crap all through the day, tired and stressed out and in need of something to eat (I feel starved though I'm not hungry, it's hard to explain as a feeling, like fuel in the tank but no way to get it to go to the engine).
    Numbers where more than bad, Achilles tendon xanthomas were reforming so hello fluvastatin goodbye high energy levels. Guess I'd do anything to go statin clean.

Get a second opinion on your meds. You didn't answer the earlier questions so its hard to help you. TG of 93 is not bad. You want it lower but not a lot. You can take control and get off the meds but you have to overcome the fear and feel configent in the measures you take.

If you take this path, you must:

* be strict about your diet - yes you can have the occasional piece of birthday cake etc but never think about a 20% cheat entitlement
    * focus your diet on being anti-inflammatory. Mark has many blog posts about anti-inflammatory foods. Go through those posts and incorporate the food into your diet
    * check whether any specific food groups are inflammatory for you - dairy, nightshades, fodmaps - and eliminate if they are
    * I include cocoa, turmeric and red wine in my daily routine for their blood thinning properties
    * exercise - you must get lots of exercise. I walk briskly for 6km each day. Some other workouts are good too but I would really focus on lots of "moving slowly"
    * Vitamin D, Vitamin K and Magnesium are essential for arterial health
    * sleep, and play shouldn't be underestimated either

In other words, follow the primal blueprint fully with an emphasis on an anti-inflammatory diet.

Caveat - I've only been doing this for about 3 years, following a heart attack, and am a N=1 experiment. However, I've never been healthier and my last stress echocardiogram showed me to be at very low risk of a repeat event. I have taken no drugs for 2.5 years, not even aspirin
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Get a second opinion on your meds. You didn't answer the earlier questions so its hard to help you. TG of 93 is not bad. You want it lower but not a lot. You can take control and get off the meds but you have to overcome the fear and feel configent in the measures you take.

If you take this path, you must:

* be strict about your diet - yes you can have the occasional piece of birthday cake etc but never think about a 20% cheat entitlement
    * focus your diet on being anti-inflammatory. Mark has many blog posts about anti-inflammatory foods. Go through those posts and incorporate the food into your diet
    * check whether any specific food groups are inflammatory for you - dairy, nightshades, fodmaps - and eliminate if they are
    * I include cocoa, turmeric and red wine in my daily routine for their blood thinning properties
    * exercise - you must get lots of exercise. I walk briskly for 6km each day. Some other workouts are good too but I would really focus on lots of "moving slowly"
    * Vitamin D, Vitamin K and Magnesium are essential for arterial health
    * sleep, and play shouldn't be underestimated either

In other words, follow the primal blueprint fully with an emphasis on an anti-inflammatory diet.

Caveat - I've only been doing this for about 3 years, following a heart attack, and am a N=1 experiment. However, I've never been healthier and my last stress echocardiogram showed me to be at very low risk of a repeat event. I have taken no drugs for 2.5 years, not even aspirin

Sorry I haven't seen questions, I've been away working and that can get extremely hectic -models have a temper, places are not primal friendly, and sometimes you even miss internet connections out there.

I am strict, more when I'm home or working by the seaside, things get mad when I'm at Rome or Milan -maybe I should fast more but that is not a permanent option and sometimes I'm away for weeks.
    Nightshades have been eliminated, and so have gone fodmaps, I'm working on dairy.
    Vannucci 100% bars are a daily staple, I really lack a taste for sugar if it's not in the form of ice-cream. I have extremely low PCR outcomes for my condition given the fact that a foreign graft is permanent source of inflammation anyway -I stay on the low end of normal numbers.
    Vitamin D gives me serious reactions and I still don't know why, I need a new K2 supplement and magnesium I take daily or my bowel goes to sleep -and then my liver stops working which is not nice.
    I sleep as much as I can but this are troubled times and my cell phone rings, a lot. I play a lot, my playing includes going out dancing and I usually loose a couple kg each time (last week were more than a couple 2.8 and I felt awful for three days, it never happened before and when I was younger I trained up to 9 hours in a row.

My medical care depends somehow on how my check outs come back, I have wonderful results if you don't count damn apob reading over 400. There must be a way to get those receptors to wake up, because as I understand slowing my endogenous cholesterol production is not helping a zip to lower my small dense LDL particle count.

Thank you, I'll try harder to stay 95/100 -sometimes it looks like a conspiracy you know, all but unprocessed genuine food in a dinner and job consisting in eating and being kind and charming to people.
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but I'm curious if you've got any updates for us rattybag? I had similar numbers, but really low trigs, and I'm thinking it's a thyroid dysfunction from forcing fasts and low carbing for so long. I've yet to find the time to get my thyroid checked though.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Get to a good naturopath who can diagnose properly with a full look at trace elements, inflammation and all the rest. Get your doctor to test your thyroid and if your tsh levels are above 2 you have a problem. Don't believe a doctor who tells you that you are "in the range".

You need tsh, t4, t3, tpo and tga. If you have any antibodies you are heading towards hasimotos. Do not let your doctor put you on thyroid meds unless it's whole natural thyroid. See Thyroid Mistreatment, Hypothyroidism Scandals, and Thyroid Treatment Problems | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Don't do what I did and waste 5 years.

Get to a naturopath and heal your gut, which will fix everything else. High cholesterol is only a problem if you have inflammation and that is what a good naturopath can help with.
    Last edited by Rueben; 10-12-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but I'm curious if you've got any updates for us rattybag? I had similar numbers, but really low trigs, and I'm thinking it's a thyroid dysfunction from forcing fasts and low carbing for so long. I've yet to find the time to get my thyroid checked though.
    Im glad you brought this back! I have since had my cholesterol rechecked and I have got it down to 8.4 from 9. Not a lot of change really. I also got my thyroid checked and he said that was fine. I certainly dont feel any of the symptoms of a poor functioning one!
    Having said all this - and what I said before, I am currently reading a book called "The Great Cholesterol Con" and it has certainly reduced my fears enormously. Well worth a read!

Even though my levels seem excessively high, I know the fats I eat are animal and coconut oil, so only good fats enter my system!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567