Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High Cholesterol and terrified! page 2

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    What did your doctor say and suggest in reading the results?
    He suggested I contact the Clinic that is monitoring me as I am following a Ketogenic Diet for seizure control.
    I am being re-tested in 3 months time.
    It also appears I have low levels of Vit D and cant work out whether this can also be affecting it.
    He has given me supplements for this.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been primal?

Do you do intense exercise?

Do you have any underlying health conditions?

Do you have a family history of high cholesterol?

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    How long have you been primal?

Do you do intense exercise?

Do you have any underlying health conditions?

Do you have a family history of high cholesterol?
    Started Feb 1st this year.
    I dont do a huge amount of exercise but have started swimming regularly.
    I have epilepsy and take quite powerful drugs for it.
    Dont think I have family history of it.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You mentioned you are on a ketogenic diet. Have you been loosing a lot of weight, again I am not an expert but I understand that can affect your numbers.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    Started Feb 1st this year.
    I dont do a huge amount of exercise but have started swimming regularly.
    I have epilepsy and take quite powerful drugs for it.
    Dont think I have family history of it.
    Ah, that makes the picture much clearer.

First, check your drug side effects- have you been having your cholesterol checked regularly? Have you increased a medicine dosage recently? Is diet the only thing that's changed?

It's common for cholesterol levels to rise in response to changing diet, especially going primal. This is nothing to worry about. Do your own research on what higher cholesterol levels mean- it's not what you think.

Your trigs are the most worrying part, so do some intense exercise to bring them down- sprints and/or heavy weights. Fish oil could help too.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Have your thyroid checked; have read coconut oil which is also good for thyroid helps lower cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Have your thyroid checked; have read coconut oil which is also good for thyroid helps lower cholesterol.
    I was meant to have had that checked when he did cholesterol but it somehow got forgotten so its booked for 2 weeks time.
    Can poor thyroid function cause high cholesterol?
    As for coconut oil, which is an MCT, how can it lower cholesterol? I use coconut oil a lot of the time and it hasnt lowered mine at all.
    Ive read so much of the stuff on the net and many of the links people have kindly put on here and the advice is so conflicting Im more confused than ever!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Poor thyroid function can raise cholesterol. I think what actually lowers it is being in good health. I would avoid the supplemental fats and just eat real foods with the natural fats contained within. Only use supplemental fats to keep food from sticking to the pan. I'd also read the insert that came with the seizure meds and see if high cholesterol is a side-effect. I am guessing that it may be.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'd also read the insert that came with the seizure meds and see if high cholesterol is a side-effect. I am guessing that it may be.
    Just looked up all my meds and none of them mention cholesterol in them.
    I am approaching the menopause and I wonder if this isnt helping?
    Im using progesterone cream to help with the hot flushes, and it works very well - maybe thats a cause too.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I typed cholesterol and menopause into google and there appears to be a lot of CW news articles about how menopause causes a jump in cholesterol.

I'm betting that my own cholesterol is also much higher than it was at first. But the thing is, I feel terrific so I'm not going to change my diet. If I did change my diet I would try to eat leaner meats and maybe take lots of niacin. The thing is, if I eat too lean too long I start to feel bad (hungry, less happy and sometimes sort of anxious, desperate or heart palpitations) and don't feel good again until I eat something fatty. I can live with cycling my fat intake like that, though, if it became necessary.

I'm not sure how necessary it would actually be, however. Women seem to naturally have higher cholesterol levels and some studies show it to be protective for women, women with higher cholesterol live longer (how much higher, I do not know). There has also never been a study that showed that taking cholesterol-lowering drugs has been of any help for women of any age and any cholesterol level. These lab results are supposed to be markers for potential illness, not the illnesses themselves, and even the link between the marker and the illness is pretty weak. Weak enough that even CW is starting to look for better markers.

So at this point, I have decided that I will not seek out medical testing or treatment unless I actually feel sick. I feel healthier than ever so why invite big pharma into my life?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast