Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Quitting smoking tomorrow! page 5

nevermore is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    That odd craving will never leave you. That is the insidious nature of this drug. It is so ingrained in one's being that it is truly a lifetime thing. I quit almost 25 years ago and I still sometimes have vivid dreams where I am smoking and I can taste it like it were today. The good news is that smoking again is not even remotely an option. I am in far superior shape/health than those who kept on smoking and the gap gets bigger exponentially each year.

As I said earlier, there is no luck involved. You MUST decide to absolutely quit smoking forever or it's not going to happen. It'll keep pulling you in. I don't think that OP is ready for such a commitment. Not to be negative either. His words and actions tell me otherwise. I have never even once see a regular smoker "quit" but only have one or a couple while drinking or for stress etc etc, that hasn't gone back to full fledged smoking. Not once. And every single one of them argued with me that it was no problem that they had it under control. Some to the point of getting down right pissed off! In every case, they were in a very short time back to full on smoking. This stuff is that addictive. To stop for good you must come to terms with the fact that you can't ever have even one ever again. Its that cut and dried. This applies to the vast vast majority of people. Almost everyone.
    This is true. I quit 14yrs ago and still crave a smoke when I'm really stressed out.

Scott FM is offline Junior Member
    Just quit..do it. I quit cold turkey after 20 years. It can be done.

And take what you spent every week on smokes and add it to your 401k..you'll be floored by the results after a while.

Good luck..and strong will

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I used the quitnet website and was amazed to watch the ticker go by and realize how much money I'd saved (approaching $10,000 at this point, and that's not accounting for price increases).

It also counts how many cigarettes I haven't smoked (26808), but in my mind, that will always only be one, the next one, because that's the only one I ever have to pass up.
    I'll second the idea of using something like that. I used an app on my phone called QuitNow! that both had those numbers, and some progress bars for stuff like "CO and O2 leves back to normal", "Taste and smell regained" and several others. Was a good morale boost to use the app and see things improve over time! I still look at it from time to time seeing the very last health progress bar improving

I actually didn't initially quit for health reasons, it was because I was forking out almost $10 a pack. I mean, why pay to kill myself when I can probably do it for free? But after I hit that magic 3-week mark when I knew that I pretty much had this monkey off my back, I decided that I never, EVER wanted to go through the withdrawal of quitting again. Man, it sucked. And did I ever cough up some interesting stuff....I think I discovered a new colour that I can only describe as "grellow".

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    To stop for good you must come to terms with the fact that you can't ever have even one ever again.
    That's me too. There is just no such thing as one for me, if I had one I'd be back on a pack a day in a week. It wasn't til I could accept that I'd probably want a cigarette for a long, long time that I finally did stop. (My dad smoked from his teens to his 50s, he is now 85 and still kicking. If someone asked him "How long is it until you don't want a cigarette any more?", he'd say, "I don't know, it's only been 10 years!" or however long it had been.)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott FM View Post
    And take what you spent every week on smokes and add it to your 401k..you'll be floored by the results after a while.
    Yeah, realizing I was spending more money a month on cigarettes than I was on my truck payment was a shocker.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Haven't seen the OP around for a few days now. Perhaps all the well wishes and encouragement weren't enough? Or maybe that one he had and the one he said he may have before never smoking again, turned into more and more. Funny though, he said he knows how it works for him and had it under control. I don't know.

Maybe chime in and let us know how you are doing with it??

mycon is offline Junior Member
    That odd craving will never leave you. That is the insidious nature of this drug. It is so ingrained in one's being that it is truly a lifetime thing. I quit almost 25 years ago and I still sometimes have vivid dreams where I am smoking and I can taste it like it were today.
    I heard that from friends as well, but I can tell you it wasn't like that for me. I was smoking heavily for 10 years (the two packs a day heavy), but one morning a bit more than 4 years ago woke up and was extremely disgusted with it. I tried to quit a few times earlier, but wasn't quite ready.

That morning I felt so gross it was just completely clear to me, like an epiphany, that I would never smoke again. I actually quit halfway through a pack, and had it sit around in my flat for half a week before I threw it out, and was never ever tempted. And haven't been since.

I can't even imagine to smoke anymore, and get no odd craving either. Maybe I was lucky, but it happens.

It's kinda ironic how unhealthy I used to live (carbs, cigarettes and alcohol) compared to where I'm at now. Amazing.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mycon View Post
    I heard that from friends as well, but I can tell you it wasn't like that for me. I was smoking heavily for 10 years (the two packs a day heavy), but one morning a bit more than 4 years ago woke up and was extremely disgusted with it. I tried to quit a few times earlier, but wasn't quite ready.

That morning I felt so gross it was just completely clear to me, like an epiphany, that I would never smoke again. I actually quit halfway through a pack, and had it sit around in my flat for half a week before I threw it out, and was never ever tempted. And haven't been since.

I can't even imagine to smoke anymore, and get no odd craving either. Maybe I was lucky, but it happens.

It's kinda ironic how unhealthy I used to live (carbs, cigarettes and alcohol) compared to where I'm at now. Amazing.
    Oh to be clear I've never been tempted at all. When I got to that place where I was never smoking again, that was it. For me its the odd dream where I'm actually smoking then I wake up very thankful that it was only a dream. You may experience the same at some point. It really does stay with us. But no worries. It seems you got to that essential place and that is a MUST!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is probably the second best thing you could do for your body. Go for it! Rooting for ya!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast