Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fertility on Primal page

maguire73 Guest

Hello ladies (and gents who have ladies). I really want to know how PB has impacted your fertility. Has anyone out there had trouble conceiving prior to PB and has then achieved pregnancy on PB?

Actually, I guess I should ask men as well. Have any of you had low sperm counts and trouble conceiving with your partner, only to find that PB helped?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Before I was ever using birth control, I had symptoms of PCOS... and what worried me most was that I only had periods something like 3-4 times a year (And so was only ovulating 3-4 times a year).

Then I was on birth control for something like 6-7 years... and was worried that when I wanted to get pregnant it would take a long time due to the irregular ovulation... was really nervous about it.

Went primal in June and also got off the birth control in June. In July we also stopped using "other methods" of preventing pregnancy (condoms) and I became pregnant in October.

MUCH faster than I thought it would happen... I can't say for sure it was PB but I feel like if I hadn't made the change in diet and lifestyle, that I probably would've had the same issues with ovulating irregularly that I had had before.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

also a good book to read is Real Food for Mother and Baby by Nina Planck.

She's a Weston A Price person but even says in the book that grains aren't necessary to eat and that they're not exactly nutrient-dense - just that she doesn't want to give them up so she chooses to soak/sprout them so they're easy to digest.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

jicamamama is offline Junior Member
    I have PCOS and am going primal to help my body get its balance back. We are hoping to conceive this fall and right now I have a ton of weight to lose. I am hoping by going primal I will reduce my PCOS symptoms, start ovulating more than 3 times a year.

Heidi Adams is offline Junior Member
    Hi there,

Thanks for your posts on fertility, my first question is, what is POCS?
    I eat mainly primally but every 3 weeks or so, I get this insatiable hunger, which always leads me to eating carbs, not quite sure how to control these cravings? (Let me know if anyone has any tips) However, I am having trouble conceiving, and wondering if you have any advice, I seem to be on a 35 day cycle, my body does not produce much progesterone, so I am using the Whiley protocol, and have progesterone cream that I rub into my skin.

Any tips would be most welcome.

Cheers

Primal K@ is offline Member
    PCOS is Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's not fun. I've had it for years.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    There was a guy posting a few weeks ago that tried to conceive for years and was only able to post-primal . . for what it's wort. . i think its under success stories.

Ali
    Ali is offline Member
    I'll just chime in and say that I've been tracking my cycles for over a year (including when I ovulate) for the purposes of trying to conceive and the months where I ovulated very late (and thus there wasn't enough time for the egg to implant, if there was a fertilized egg) were the months where I had 'fallen off the wagon' and was on a carb binge (not that it necessarily lasted a whole month but I tend to categorize things as a 'good' or 'bad' month). The months where I was 97% PB, my cycles and ovulation were much more textbook. Not to mention easy periods with no pain vs. hellish horrendous cramping and bleeding when off the wagon.

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    My DH and I did not try to conceive for many years, but we also did nothing to prevent it and I never got pregnant. Then I was diagnosed with PCOS and we decided to see an RE so we knew what we'd need to do in order for me to get pregnant. I had seen the RE and started South Beach Diet at the same time. The day before I was meant to get some serious and semi invasive testing (and 3 weeks after I started SBD), I got a +. Same thing with my second pregnancy, we tried for 4 months without anything, 4 months with OPK's (ovulation predictor kits) and then I went onto Glucophage and SBD and 3 weeks later I was PG with my second.

With my third, I did not think I could get pregnant on my own given that we tried so hard with # 2 and it was not easy so we were not careful and when my son was 6 months old I started SBD again and lo and behold, 3 weeks later I was PG with my third.

So while SBD is not primal, the principles during the first phase are similar (meats, vegetables and nuts with no fruits during the first two weeks), I am sure that eating primally will be good for your body and prime it for pregnancy. I do not know how it affects sperm though.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had/have PCOS as well... didn't get my period for nearly a year (and irregularly, maybe 4 or 5 times a year, before that). Going on metformin/glucophage helped make my periods regular, and ever since I quit the drugs, I had one regular period and the next one should be coming any day now. I have noticed, though, that I have more angry mood swings during PMS, rather than sad/depressed mood swings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast