Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting your Grok on in the Military page

josh301 is offline Junior Member

Getting your Grok on in the Military

Shop Now
    I suppose this is the right sub forum to put this in, so here we go.

A quick rundown: I am a 20 y/o trainee in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) for the Air Force, and will be departing for Basic Military Training in a little over a month (July 24th).

Bearing that in mind, I found MDA about two weeks ago while I was surfing the web, and have been burying myself in the articles here since. And I've already bought The Primal Blueprint and knocked that thing out in about two sittings. So needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get started going Primal. I want to get myself and my mother into this lifestyle for obvious reasons, but I think I see a problem here.

I would have enough time to go Primal for about a month if I drop everything right now and purge our pantry. So I would have enough time to probably start feeling good with my lifestyle change and then; bam, BMT. Of course in BMT I will be doing everything Grok would never do (chronic cardio, hardly any sleep, over training, and probably not-so-healthy food choices in the chow hall).

So my question is, would it be worth it to give Primal a try before I leave? Or would it just end up making me feel more miserable in training since I will be reverting to a very CW take on fitness? I know I want to try my hardest to be Primal when I get out of training and into Tech School, since I'm pretty sure a lot of USAF base shopping centers are now offering organic choices and the like.

Also, are there any Primal Military Members on this board? I'd like to hear if it's even feasible to go Primal while in the service.

Thanks in advance for reading and offering any input.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Army here,`no harm in trying it now. Not sure how AF Basic is, but it's not going to be Primal. After you leave training you'll have a lot more control over your diet.

As far as staying Primal, it's certainly doable. It's a lot easier in the AF, you guys get Hilton's and catered meals LOL. But there will be times when you just have to suck it up and eat what you can.

AAFES is getting better about stocking healthier foods, but you'll find you'll still need to go off-base to like Whole Foods or something similar.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

josh301 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the insight. Its good to hear that I can continue to pursue Primal after training.

I've certainly heard from my friends in the other branches that the AF has really nice facilities. I guess in that regard I lucked out as far as branch choice. lol.

Thanks again for the reply and good luck to you.

Well to each their own, I'm not a stay in the Hilton kind of guy. I will also suggest that if you do primal, that you don't feel "guilty" or hesitate to eat non-primal foods vs. going hungry. Probably less of an issue with AF, but for instance I've had times (lots) where I have to eat really really sh!tty food or go hungry. Just count on that and make the best decisions you can when you can.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Ill speak for my husband on this one.... He's army, currently deployed on his 2nd tour to Afghanistan.... He tries to stay primal as much as he can, but food choices aren't the best where he is. Luckily, he gets packages really quickly so I send almond butter, coconut manna, paleo people granola, and sme other staples every few wks. He's also not in the field for long amount of times so that's helpful... Wanderlust hit it on the head though. Don't feel guilty about eating non paleo foods. Do the best you can with what you have at that time!

Good luck

MmMmm I miss Afghani goat though. It's in the US I've had the most problems eating Primaly in the Army oddly enough. In A-Stan we would always pay the LNs for goat, beef, wild rice etc. Same thing in the Philippines. Stateside we are always stuck with the world's most heavily processed food know to man: the MRE.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Phresh is offline Member
    Stuck with MREs stateside?

AF is alright. You get the option at salads, fruits, and regular meat/bacon/eggs and veggies cooked far from Primally. I wouldn't worry about in basic training, just eat whatever you feel like you want/can down the quickest.

Afterwards, you'll most likely be stuck in dorms, possibly without a kitchen, having to eat at the dining facility for all your meals. Which has what I mentioned above. Luckily for me, I work shift work and can't always get away so they allowed me BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence) aka paying my grocery bill every month. And I have a teeny kitchen with a stove. The Commissary on base here is getting some more organic/natural healthy stuff so it's not too bad.

Idk, maybe go to the doc and say you have special diet needs. Have them do an allergy test on you or something, maybe you're intolerant to gluten or soy or dairy and could get them to write you up a letter to get BAS. I'd at least try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phresh View Post
    Stuck with MREs stateside?
    We play hide and go seek in the woods a lot.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Phresh is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    We play hide and go seek in the woods a lot.
    Fun. That part makes me wish I was in another branch, or at least different unit.

Go PJ or CCT.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast