Thread: Any Mortar and pestle recipies out there? page

Denvergoofy is offline Junior Member

Any Mortar and pestle recipies out there?

Primal Fuel
    Hey there,
    I just got a mortar and pestle, and I'm looking for a few ways to use it besides pesto.

So, if you have one, how do you use it? Please be specific... Don't say dressing.... Give 1 actual recipie!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I make a mint drink with it. Just water and mint.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Um, I use a pestle and mortar sometimes, but don't have a 'recipe'. Just sounds weird. I have a knife. Does anybody have a knife recipe?

Use your pestle to grind things up. Cumin and Chili seeds are what I grind the most (not at the same time).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I have a knife. Does anybody have a knife recipe?
    I've heard that paring knives are in season now and the seared chef is fantastic.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Um, I use a pestle and mortar sometimes, but don't have a 'recipe'. Just sounds weird. I have a knife. Does anybody have a knife recipe?
    +1, odd question!

I use mine for grinding up whole spices. Not only are whole spices cheaper, they keep the flavour considerably better than pre-ground spices. Also you can gently roast them first if you want.

Really??? I've heard of crockpot recipies, pressure cooker recipies, and recipies for a smoker. Besides, if you look at my post, the question I ask is "if you have one how do you use it?"

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i use mine to grind salt. celtic gray sea salt is like $5/lb for coarse and $10/lb for finely ground. i also use it for spices (allspice, fennel seed, cumin, cloves, cumin, coriander...) you could also smash garlic, but i find it's easier with a garlic crusher.

Thanks for the reply. I've now used it for any marinade, paste, or sauce that calls for garlic or herbs. A few examples are chimmichurri sauce, balsamic Vinegret, and aioli. Most of the recipies that I used it for came from the book "well fed" So I won't list the recipie, but you can get them here Well Fed: Paleo Recipes For People Who Love To Eat | theclothesmakethegirl

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Curries have you grind a LOT of spices. Go nuts.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome