Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb up! page

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member

Carb up!

Primal Fuel
    As my weight loss has stalled I've just had my first ever carb up primal feast, as a late lunch. I got up late and skipped breakfast then went to the supermarket and cooked this:

Main course: 2 trout fillets pan fried in a dessert spoon of coconut oil with a spinach, rucola and watercress salad with a pesto dressing, and 600 g jersey royal potatoes with 2 dessert spoons of garlic mayonnaise, spring onions and fresh coriander.

Dessert: 300 g full-fat goat's yoghurt mixed with approx 70 g maple syrup, 2 shots of dark rum, 40 g broken meringues, 125 g raspberries, 125 g blueberries. Yummy!

Washed down with two gin and tonics.

Should I be eating less fat on a carb up? I usually eat about 100-120 g carbs in my evening meal which is post-workout 4 days a week, 40 g at lunch and 15 g at breakfast.

My tummy hurts. Think I'm going to have to go for a little lie down.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely decrease fat on days you are higher in carbs. The high fat/high carb diet is what most people do that gets them overweight. Hopefully, by decreasing fats you can stay in a calorie range where your body burns through the carbs and does not store anything as fat. Going higher. Carb only on days you have a pretty hard workout will help you burn those carbs up as well.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Carb ups seem to be most useful for those who steadily restrict carbs to bellow 100g/day on a consistent basis. Then you have one day every couple-few weeks where you get lots of carbs. Being that your day to day falls in the 150g + range I really don't know why you would need it.

If your exercise routine is ultra intense 4x/week I would just do like you have and increase carbs by about ONE sweet potato for each workout being that 30-50g is likely all the extra glucose you burned. Of course that is assuming that your workouts fall in the "primal" range. If yours are like split routines twice a day, or your banging away for 2+ hours each workout that would obviously make a difference.

Guess thats not your question, but I do wonder why you feel you need to "carb up"?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.

My workouts are 2-3 hours - a bit of yoga followed by lifting and 60 - 100 mins of low-level cardio with sprints. I burn at least 100 g of glycogen during a workout. I watch TV at the gym so I don't get bored. I have a very sedentary job and was very active when I was younger, so I need the physical activity. Mark recommends 5 hours of low level cardio a week - I feel better when I exceed that.

Thus my carb intake (mostly starch) is low with that taken into account, and I go into ketosis for a few hours each day.

I believe I may need a higher carb intake than average as my muscles have to work harder due to having hypermobile joints. My muscles are definitely very insulin sensitive as my blood glucose readings are always in the ideal range.

Anyway, I think at least one high carb day a fortnight will help boost my thyroid function. I'm starting to need more sleep and finding it harder to get up in the mornings - I think the awful weather we've had for the past 10 weeks plus a few stressful events in my life haven't helped.

It often seems to pay to mix things up. There's no harm in experimenting - that is in my nature.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    oh lord so many numbers.

just eat and feel good.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    oh lord so many numbers.

just eat and feel good.
    I don't count anything strictly or have a set number of calories per day - I just ballpark. I do try to listen to my body and adopt an intuitive approach. I think if anything I should start counting fat!

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I have a question about this and didn't want to create another thread.
    When people say to lower fat intake when carb refeeding, approximatively how low should I go please ?

Thanks
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've gone back and forth about decreased fat on high carb days. Stick with whatever amount of coconut oil you usually eat & remember potatoes don't taste good without butter. Actually the trick I used to do is to chill the potato; cold potatoes are actually pretty good without butter.

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post

Main course: 2 trout fillets pan fried in a dessert spoon of coconut oil with a spinach, rucola and watercress salad with a pesto dressing, and 600 g jersey royal potatoes with 2 dessert spoons of garlic mayonnaise, spring onions and fresh coriander.

Dessert: 300 g full-fat goat's yoghurt mixed with approx 70 g maple syrup, 2 shots of dark rum, 40 g broken meringues, 125 g raspberries, 125 g blueberries. Yummy!

Washed down with two gin and tonics.
    Can't help, but I'd just like to say: NOM-DIDDLY and please can I come to your house for dinner?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    yeah, if you're going to make it a point to eat really high carb on one day, for whatever reason, i would limit fat. not because of any problems eating carbs and fat together, but simply because if you don't - that's a huge caloric hit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast