Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help... I've been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis... damn CRP high! page 2

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    This is an interesting blog post by Dr. Ayers. Cooling Inflammation: Dr. Oz on Gut Flora Repair A lot of his advice helped me when my guts first went haywire. Raw milk and raw milk cheeses (fortunate you being in France for the cheeses) can help quite a bit if you can tolerate the lactose, which is iffy with AS. I can handle raw cheeses and the milk seems to be okay. I was living in the Netherlands at the time and found a farmer who would sell me raw sheep's milk which I tolerated well. Yoghurt is no-go but kefir is fine for me and helps quite a bit. Fermented foods like sauerkraut can be iffy as I have problems with fructose malabsorption which makes my guts touchy. Leafy greens and herbs with just the dirt rinsed but unwashed are a big help. Probiotics alone aren't enough. Means of healing the gut should be helpful too, as that is the point of access for the bacteria that is aggravating your condition. (Bone broth, which I admit to not doing much of yet, although i just bought asome soup bones and will make a big batch soon) Cutting out the rice and potatoes is probably necessary but cauliflower is a pretty good replacement. I eat some other root veg on occasion which doesn't bother me if I don't go overboard. Parsnips, turnips.

I'm sure this is all pretty overwhelming, only having known for a month, but I don't think you need to try to implement everything at once. Again, as I said earlier I've never been diagnosed with AS but I have a lot of similar symptoms and the dietary advice has helped me tremendously, to the point I do quite a bit of heavy work (landscaping, furniture refinishing and helping on the house) without any pain other than normal sore muscles on occasion. Hopefully it will work for you, although considering how long you've been battling this it may take a while longer.

Nossar is offline Member
    I'm sorry but I don't understand the word "iffy".

Here no milk should be tried but I need some rest first. Sauerkraut is something I loooove but it contains gluten which is a no-no for me.
    I think introducing new habits one by one is easier, maybe it depends on one's temperament but mine will do fine with going one by one. Like when we threw out all the products which contained additives.

Thanks for your help.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Oops, sorry, I always forget that I use "Americanisms." Iffy means questionable. Sure, let your system rest a bit. Sauerkraut shouldn't have gluten in it unless there's a particular kind you find that has it. If there are health food stores near you they may have a good fermented type which is what you want. Eventually when you feel up to it you can make your own. I never have but I know there are recipes online and probably some in here. From what I remember it's mainly cabbage, salt and water, although something to start the fermentation may be in there are well.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Nossar if you're in France then you should have Microflorana at hand, it did miracles to my friends with gut flora imbalances (I'm on prograf because of my transplant so I can't get close to it, but as long as you won't be using this one drug you could give it a try). Read the different labels, there are fructose free concoctions out there and all the products are gluten free..

TNF are a good thing while waiting for something better, and apparently patients have a better outcome on them with better quality of life and less adverse effects. Being starch free could do better in managing adverse effects, I guess I should give it a try too (those damn

On the Nsaid front all I can say is pain is a disease in itself. The fatigue, tiredness, angst and lack of sleep are really killers. It rises blood pressure, affects heart function, flushes cortisol and really messes up with a lot of stuff so do your best to keep it manage but -and this are my two cents- talk to your doctor about some alternative choice (I'd go morphine so to avoid renal failure if I could go back in time). Pain related stress can really flare up disaster, Nsaids mess up with some stuff, other pain management drugs mess with some other stuff (when on tramadol my gut hibernates).
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Grizz is offline Banned
    nossar,
    Do you have any mercury amalgams in your teeth? You are very likely suffering from Mercury Poisoning. See this link:
    Excerpts from Amalgam Illness at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1032536)

Another good possibility is fluoride poisoning:
    http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1373107#i
    Fluoride is bombarding us from everywhere, in our drinking water, food, etc.

The best way to detox your body from Halogen Poisons of Bromide, Fluoride, Chlorine & heavy metals including mercury is the Dr. Brownstein Iodine supplement program, detailed here:
    http://steppingstonesliving.com/resources/iodine/

and here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Get yourself tested for Halide Poisoning here:
    http://www.hakalalabs.com/testing.html

See this:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Bromide-Po...ms!&id=6696823

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-18-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Nossar is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    Nossar if you're in France then you should have Microflorana at hand, it did miracles to my friends with gut flora imbalances (I'm on prograf because of my transplant so I can't get close to it, but as long as you won't be using this one drug you could give it a try). Read the different labels, there are fructose free concoctions out there and all the products are gluten free..

TNF are a good thing while waiting for something better, and apparently patients have a better outcome on them with better quality of life and less adverse effects. Being starch free could do better in managing adverse effects, I guess I should give it a try too (those damn

On the Nsaid front all I can say is pain is a disease in itself. The fatigue, tiredness, angst and lack of sleep are really killers. It rises blood pressure, affects heart function, flushes cortisol and really messes up with a lot of stuff so do your best to keep it manage but -and this are my two cents- talk to your doctor about some alternative choice (I'd go morphine so to avoid renal failure if I could go back in time). Pain related stress can really flare up disaster, Nsaids mess up with some stuff, other pain management drugs mess with some other stuff (when on tramadol my gut hibernates).
    So you mean morphine is better to handle pain than NSAIDS?

For the moment, they need to take the inflammation down since it is so high but then I should consider morphine, it was offered at the hospital.

Nossar is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    nossar,
    Do you have any mercury amalgams in your teeth? You are very likely suffering from Mercury Poisoning. See this link:
    Excerpts from Amalgam Illness at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1032536)

Another good possibility is fluoride poisoning:
    fluoride on food at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1373107)
    Fluoride is bombarding us from everywhere, in our drinking water, food, etc.

The best way to detox your body from Halogen Poisons of Bromide, Fluoride, Chlorine & heavy metals including mercury is the Dr. Brownstein Iodine supplement program, detailed here:
    Iodine | Stepping Stones Living, LLC

and here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Get yourself tested for Halide Poisoning here:
    Hakala Research - Home

See this:
    Bromide Poisoning May Be the Cause of Your Headaches, Bad Mood and Thyroid Problems!

Grizz
    Thanks Grizz, I'm aware of the mercury problem but I have very few teeth issues still I will ask my dentist if I have.

As for fluoride, we do not have it in tap water here, only in toothpaste and we can find fluoride free toothpaste without a problem.

Also Iodine supplementation is dangerous on a thyroiditis.

AussieNana is offline Member
    AS is one of the autoimmune diseases I've been diagnosed with but they've taken that diagnosis away at the moment now that the inflammation has dropped right down. My daughter has it and keeps flexible with ballet - taking it up in her 20s - and pain control with NSAIDs. I prefer to manage things alternatively if at all possible. Weeks on very high doses of steroids stopped my pain but came at a huge cost when I had to try and come off them - they sent me manic as well (my fridge and kitchen cupboards have never been so full, my house never so tidy, me never so exhausted).

I, too, wonder at inflammation flares when my diet is good and there is no apparent stress in my life. I really don't know why. I'm spending some time, too, on repairing my gut. I suspect, no, know, I still have a candida overgrowth problem and I need to be much tighter on reducing blood sugar spikes.

I know of one doctor who successfully treats thyroiditis with iodine supplements along with a diet very similar to paleo, so it can't be that dangerous in all circumstances. And I took iodine with my thyroiditis - now no more thyroiditis. I still need supplemental natural thyroid but only half the amount I needed before I took the iodine.

Nossar is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I not only suspect but have evidence of candida overgrowth, be it only vaginal with an almost disappeared Doderlein flora

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12