Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book: Primal Body - Primal Mind page

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I'm wondering if anybody has read Primal Body - Primal Mind, by Nora Gedgaudas? I'm in the middle of it now and I'm enjoying it. But I've noticed that nobody in the paleo blog community seems to mention her much or link to her site. I also read a comment that when Mark was asked about her book he said that he had "no comment".

Just wondering what the deal is with this?

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

I don't know....I read the book and I thought it was well written and instructive.

Sooze

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

I read Nora's book before I read Mark's, so I credit her with getting me into Primal. Honestly, I think EVERYONE should read her book- it expands upon the Primal Blueprint and talks in depth about things like leptin, glycation and heart disease (things the PB doesn't cover or only touches on).

It also gives invaluable advice about using supplements to aid in switching the body from carb to fat burning (because a lot of us know how NOT fun that can be!!)

I love both books! I found PB more fun and motivating and PBPM more serious (although still funny!) and, honestly, a kick in the ass. If you need extra motivation to cut the carbs, Nora gives you all the SCARY reasons you don't want to eat too many - like glycation, temporal lobe damage, hormone imbalances, reduction in LDL particle size, etc.

prib81 is offline Senior Member

I also read PBPM before PB. It certainly has a more scientific or analytical bent, which appeals to me as an engineer. I bought Good Calories, Bad Calories and have read some of it but it's a slower read for sure.

I'd say for un-primals who are curious, PB is the best starting point of the 3 (easily accessible and fun, like hazyjane said), followed by PBPM and then GCBC.

Acmebike is offline Member

I loan out Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" more often than I loan out Gedgaudas' "Primal Body, Primal Mind". I really see zero conflicts in the information and approaches presented by either one. Sisson's is more useable, clear and understandable to most people. They both have their place and are both VITAL to read and apply.

She does podcasts, has a blog and some decent online info. No where near as prolific as many of the other bloggers I follow, maybe that's why few people link and mention her work?

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

[quote]

She does podcasts, has a blog and some decent online info. </blockquote>

She&#39;s had a couple of good interviews on Jimmy Moore&#39;s show (she was one of the "top 5" guests on his show for 2009, all of whom were invited back for a year-end interview; Mark was one of those top 5 as well). I also highly recommend checking out her podcasts/weekly radio show; some of those have been really good. (I currently spend two hours a day commuting, so I do a lot of podcast & audio book listening!; was nice getting the couple of audio bonus items from the PB buy on the 17th -- wish there were more regular podcasts/audio stuff from Mr. Sisson).

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

I agree that PB is better for the average person. I come from a background of 17 years of reading nutritional books, so PBPM isn&#39;t too heavy for me, but it certainly could be for a total newbie. PB is perfect in that respect.

PB is also better in terms of putting everything together into a program, so after reading it, you feel like you know where to start. I think that&#39;s so important and it has really helped me to actually implement everything I learned from Nora&#39;s book and to be much more consistent.

Legerity is offline Junior Member

It&#39;s good to hear other people have gotten a lot out of it too. I have to say though that getting into the second section I found the some of the information less convincing, maybe its just me. I think I also started to feel overwhelmed by supplement recommendations.

Acmebike is offline Member

Yah, she goes heavy on the supplements and some of that just makes me roll my eyes and think aloud:

"Eat food. As much as I want. Mostly wild animals." My take away from loads of reading on this stuff.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

I haven&#39;t read it yet, but I will eventually.

I&#39;d imagine that if there&#39;s friction there, it&#39;s over the the use of the word "Primal" in the title. Mark was using the word before she published.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast