Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Book: Primal Body - Primal Mind page 2

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

If you read closely, the supplements are all just resources to help people troubleshoot and adjust. She doesn't say we need all of them.

She also works with people with imbalanced brains and a lot of hormonal imbalances, so she's coming at it from a treatment perspective.

Acmebike is offline Member

Yes, hazyjane, I shoulda mentioned that the supplement section is certainly NOT a requirement she pushes. It can become almost an overwhelming chapter to see the assortment of supplements folks can and do benefit from. My knee-jerk reaction when first reading the book was to tune this part out. I've since gone back re-read and found things applicable to me and have implemented some of it.

I suppose Nora's book can become an issue of "letting perfect become the enemy of good"! She gets so detailed in both elimination/avoidance, behavior, proper nutrition and supplementation that a newbie could be scared off.

Sisson's book has all that if you want to follow his research back, but Sisson also makes it clear that simple steps are the key to the largest success. The rest is fine tuning.

Legerity is offline Junior Member

@Acmebike: That's exactly how I felt when reading that section, that I needed to achieve perfection. I'm taking so many supplements right now for various health issues but I'd just like to stop them once they run out, I'm sick of the costs and the hassle. Maybe stick to some good fish oil and focus my efforts on proper eating.

It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the supplements that are available and everything we are supposedly deficient in. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth worrying about it at all.

MightyMite is offline Member

I think you're all scared of her prohibition on caffeine (adrenal fatigue, glucose disregulation). Sure, you'll cut (out) the carbs, but they'll pry those coffee mugs out of your cold, dead primal hands.

I have decided to give it a try, and have at least cut back from black tea to white tea.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

<<<Sure, you&#39;ll cut (out) the carbs, but they&#39;ll pry those coffee mugs out of your cold, dead primal hands.>>>

Guilty as charged. <grin>

I have just started taking a lot of Vitamin D3. I suspect, given the northern latitude and cloudy winters, that I should go on doing this, or at least get a sunlamp if D3 supplements are hard to get.

I also like sublingual methyl B12, and the other sublingual B12 with folic acid. And I take some cod liver oil for the fish oil.

I&#39;ve never seen much difference from taking loads and loads of supplements, but these seem to carry their weight.

@p-d-l

I was already doing cod liver oil after reading "Eat Fat, Lose Fat," (which also induced me to start making my own chicken and fish stocks). I did start supplementing Evening Primrose Oil for the GLA on the recommendation of PB/PM. And I am really trying to avoid MSG. I grew up on the stuff--we always had a little bottle of Ajinomoto ("Aji") on the shelf and a family cookbook put out by some of my relatives lists "Aji" in almost every savory recipe. Somehow, despite the "Aji" and high rice consumption, my relatives on both sides almost all make it to their 90s, living independently, with all their marbles intact. This is the driving force for me to make sure I take even better care of myself.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

[quote]

<<<Sure, you&#39;ll cut (out) the carbs, but they&#39;ll pry those coffee mugs out of your cold, dead primal hands.>>>

Guilty as charged. <grin> </blockquote>

Guilty here too! Although I *have* managed to cut back my coffee to less than one a day, and I stay away from my old "morning" habit -- I get waaaay too dependent on it; on days when I do have some (sometimes as a latte, others as espresso) I try to have it sometime in the afternoon, usually after a nice primal lunch.

Black teas don&#39;t agree with me unless they&#39;re mixed with some cardamom or milk (home brewed chai, etc.), so, aside from water, my main beverages for quite some time have been green or white teas.

Legerity is offline Junior Member

I do have 1-3 coffees a day, and I&#39;m way more dependent on it than I should be. I don&#39;t know if it is something I&#39;d be willing to give up at the moment, though.

PB is certainly the most easily digested; PB/PM is more challenging and GC/BC could make a Biochemist groan (at least it did for this one--remembering all those metabolic pathways that I&#39;d been too happy to forget once finals were over).

Okay, I still occasionally indulge in Earl Gray with coconut milk (you should try that, schadowrider).

Acmebike is offline Member

OH no, not me, I&#39;m off the caffeine! But good point!

Sisson got me napping, resting, playing, eating proper, lifting/sprinting hard once in a while, zeroing out chronic cardio, getting sunshine etc.

Gedgaudas&#39; work has me using protein restriction, calorie restriction just a bit, and more hours of fasted state living. Just tweaks. Plus krill/fish oil for omega 3, and Vitamin D3 when not in the sunshine. &#39;Course I buy that stuff from Sisson!

The caffeine, grains, sugars/sweeteners, legumes, starchy veggies, modern crazy fruit, vegetable/seed/industrial oils all were banished before Mark printed PB, but on information gleaned from his website. I&#39;d still say, if it were a competition, that Sisson&#39;s blog and book has more information, readily useable by more people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast