Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brownies page

Kryz is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm making a batch of brownies for a party, hopefully using this recipe:

http://joyofbaking.com/barsandsquare...eBrownies.html

(I know, I know, not primal at all)

I went to Trader Joe's to pick up butter, chocolate, eggs, and almond flour (my attempt at making it semi-barely-not-quite-primal), but sadly they didn't have any of the latter...the closest to it was almond meal, which according to the label can only be used to replace 50% of the flour in a recipe because it doesn't hold together well. For brownies, would that matter very much? Is there any way to increase the holding power of the batter so that I can use 75% almond meal or even 100%?

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

I know this will sound like a cheap plug, but I've actually done something similar to this and I've used my own chocolate protein powder and extra egg(s) to help bind it all. The protein powder plus almond meal helps achieve flour-like consistency and really holds together well.

http://www.primalnutrition.com/responsibly-slim-i-3.html

Basically the Worker Bees and I have played around with variations on this recipe:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/

and have found Responsibly Slim to be a tasty and helpful addition. The vanilla powder works well with nut and fruit bars. Chocolate would be perfect for your needs.

I'd be interested to hear other ideas from forum members. If you've tried something like this chime in with your thoughts and experiences!

Also, check back next week. If things go according to plans I'll be bringing you a Primal ice cream dessert recipe. (If not ice cream some other cool treat.)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Almond meal IS almond flour, btw... so they did have it. Same thing, different name.

I haven't tried it yet, but heard that coconut flour is "fluffier" than almond, more like regular wheat-based flour. So that might be better than almond flour for the brownies. Maybe I'll play with it later, and I'll let you know what I discover.

What were you planning on using for sweetener? Maybe applesauce + stevia? It would change the consistency but you might be able to compensate with more coconut flour.

Hmm... my husband would love it if I came up with primal brownies. I'll put that on my list.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Thanks, Mark! One of my roommates has whey protein powder but I can't do too much experimenting, since the party's tomorrow. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future brownie goodness.

Fly: Oh, woops. I didn't know they were the same thing. Will it work okay if I use all almond meal and no flour?

I saw a bunch of stevia at Trader Joe's today, wish I had picked it up. I might just end up using brown sugar...not primal, but I can limit my brownie intake. I'll see if I can cut some of the sugar out too, since there's so much chocolate in the recipe.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

You could try it... it won't act the same way as flour, but may be enough to hold it together. It's not like brownies have to rise or anything. haha.

Let me know how it goes if you do go the all almond-flour route. Good luck!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

grandma is offline Member

http://www.bakingandbooks.com/2008/04/16/fallen-chocolate-souffle-cake/

It's a classic, plain and simple. No need for flour subs.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Only difference between almond meal and almond flour is that almond meal still has the skin of the nut on it, right?

Reminds me of the time SoG made primal fudge.

tallguy Guest

Roger, you can't just mention the 'primal fudge' and not leave the recipe, i've just drooled on my keyboard !!!

Regards

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Hahahaha sorry, here ya go:

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/02/recipe-dinosaur-droppings-primal-fudge-balls/

He called them Dinosaur Droppings which is fitting in regards to how they look, but they taste amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast