Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Full Fat Greek Yogurt? page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

Why Full Fat Greek Yogurt?

I eat 8 oz daily of Chobani non-fat plain greek yogurt. Started looking at full fat options but found they tend to contain just as much or more sugar and less protein. So why do Paleo folks prefer full fat? If you want more saturated fat, why not add some shredded coconut or eat a couple slices of Kerrygold Dubliner cheese? Thanks.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Why should I have to add something if they sell it the way I want it right there? (why not buy 95% fat free ground beef and add lard?) Full fat is a little less processed, for one thing. Plus more milk fat means less room for lactose.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Why should I have to add something if they sell it the way I want it right there? (why not buy 95% fat free ground beef and add lard?) Full fat is a little less processed, for one thing. Plus more milk fat means less room for lactose.
    Right. I wanted full fat primarily to get less sugar - the same reason I use hal & half. But if the full fat has more sugar, I would rather not have it.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I eat 8 oz daily of Chobani non-fat plain greek yogurt. Started looking at full fat options but found they tend to contain just as much or more sugar and less protein. So why do Paleo folks prefer full fat? If you want more saturated fat, why not add some shredded coconut or eat a couple slices of KerrygolDubliner cheese? Thanks.
    Try the Fage yogurt instead, a lot more protein than the Chobani.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    my full-fat fage has 20 gms protein in 8 oz. it's also much more sating than non-fat yogurt. i stir in 2 raw egg yolks and some coconut milk and i am set up for hours afterward.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Grocery stores around here have virtually stopped selling full fat yogurts.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    last few months, i have had an easier time finding the fage. maybe it's cuz i buy 3-4 at ago, lol. stonyfield also makes a whole milk one, but i found it waaaaaay too sour. you may also see some armenian or lebanese yogurts, depending on your demographics.

trader joe's sells a goat milk yogurt that i get sometimes too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Nancy's makes plain whole fat yogurt that is not Greek-style but is extremely thick. Also made from milk from grass-fed cows which I prefer as a replacement for Fage. The whey separates when it sits so I just don't stir first if I want it thicker. It's carried at my local organic food store. The flavor is fantastic!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    I too have trouble finding full-fat yogurt , even at the local HFS. Once I made a batch of plain yogurt using heavy cream only and it was fantastic IMO. Somewheres I saw an article, perhaps here on MDA, that gave instruction in homemade greek-style. I think I am going to try it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Try the Fage yogurt instead, a lot more protein than the Chobani.
    Don't think so. Fage full fat has 20 grams per 8 0z and Chobani non fat has 23 grams per 8 oz. Both have 9 grams of sugar.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast