Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Full Fat Greek Yogurt? page 3

stagemom23 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CradlingaLion View Post
    I eat Greek Gods yogurt. It comes in fairly large tubs and I just dole portions into tupperware and sprinkle cinnamon on top to take to work. I do buy the flavored ones, which contain added sugar and honey, but they offer plain as well. It's full fat and DELICIOUS:
    Greek Gods Yogurt!
    This.

Best yogurt ever.

I actually find myself daydreaming about this yogurt with mixed berries, a touch of honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon and chopped nuts.

imp
    imp is offline Member
    I like astro greek yogurt...10% M.G...,they are full fat >10g...also PC 9% M.G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    When I buy yogurt it's for the protein so I don't pay much attention. Siggi's or Fage 2% taste the best to me.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

elfman5150 is offline Member
    Because the full-fat or higher fat kinds taste delicious! Try Greek God's plain. Not high in protein, but tastes just like ricotta cheese. BY FAR my favorite.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Greek yogurt is yogurt with more of the water/whey pulled out, so it's thicker. Greek Gods yogurt has pectin in it which mostly bothers me because I think they only do it to artificially thicken a cheaper product, and indeed Greek Gods is substantially cheaper where I shop.

One of the reasons why full-fat products are encouraged is that many fat-free products have substitutions to bring their taste and consistency up to par. However, if you check websites and labels, you'll find a couple of brands - Fage for sure, and Ciobani maybe - that don't add anything to their nonfat brands. They do substitute nonfat milk for full fat milk in the product.

There's absolutely no reason to buy a full fat product if the nonfat one isn't adulterated. Unless of course, you prefer it. Also, full fat yogurt is easier to cook with because it doesn't break as easily.

So, watch the ingredient list, and then buy what you like and are comfortable with. As some have pointed out, it's virtually impossible to get full fat yogurt in some locations, so don't go nuts trying to find it. And choose your brands carefully.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stagemom23 View Post
    This.

Best yogurt ever.

I actually find myself daydreaming about this yogurt with mixed berries, a touch of honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon and chopped nuts.
    Just picked myself up some today. It was quite a bit cheaper than the Fage and available in FULL FAT. Dang store only carried 2% and 0% Fage. Useless crap I say! I never understood paying extra to have energy removed from my food, just so I could pay more to eat that energy in another form. Bah, pure idiocy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Greek yogurt is yogurt with more of the water/whey pulled out, so it's thicker. Greek Gods yogurt has pectin in it which mostly bothers me because I think they only do it to artificially thicken a cheaper product, and indeed Greek Gods is substantially cheaper where I shop.

One of the reasons why full-fat products are encouraged is that many fat-free products have substitutions to bring their taste and consistency up to par. However, if you check websites and labels, you'll find a couple of brands - Fage for sure, and Ciobani maybe - that don't add anything to their nonfat brands. They do substitute nonfat milk for full fat milk in the product.
    Good point.... didn't see the pectin on my first run through on the ingredient list. Yeah it was 2 24oz for 7$ vs the Fage was 3.80 for 16 oz.

tekshow is offline Junior Member
    I'm not a yogurt fan, is it worth it to try and get used to it? I miss Sour Cream (as I haven't been eating it) and really want something like it blend with meats and veggies (think tacos) that I eat frequently.
    Living the dream - One life at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by tekshow View Post
    I'm not a yogurt fan, is it worth it to try and get used to it? I miss Sour Cream (as I haven't been eating it) and really want something like it blend with meats and veggies (think tacos) that I eat frequently.
    Not really. I'm not a big fan, but I do eat it once in a while. I actually still use sour cream though. If your getting fermented food elsewhere I wouldn't worry bout it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekshow View Post
    I love sour cream! Yogurt can replace it sometimes, but it takes a little fiddling with it to learn the heat it can take before it breaks into little pieces. I kind of look at it like I get all these healthy fats from coconut oil, olive oil, pastured butter, well-raised animals, and wild fish (salmon and sardines), so if I buy something like sour cream or yogurt which I mostly use as sauces or add ons, as long as there's nothing terrible in the ingredients, I don't really worry about fat content.

If you're looking for fermented foods and don't want to do it yourself, I think Whole Foods carries something called Bubbies Sauerkraut that is a true fermented kraut. Most other supermarket brands are brined. Home fermenting isn't that hard. Lots of recipes online. Basically: take veggie of choice, put it in salted filtered water in a non-reactive container (glass or pottery). Put it somewhere not too hot or too cold. Wait X days.

I agree with Neckhammer that you don't need to make yourself eat something you're not fond of.

Bubbies - Sauerkraut
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast