Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a Primal/Paleo cookbook that does not include exotic foods. page 3

linuxguy0481 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    Where are you? What is exotic for one area is the norm for others.
    I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    I started off by borrowing low carb cookbooks from my local library and photocopying them, then photocopying recipes from my cookbooks and my mother's cookbooks which were low carb or could be adapted. Looked on supermarket websites and low carb websites and printed off more. Put the whole lot in clear A4 plastic pockets stuck on the back of A4 junk mail and cheap copying paper from Lidl. Now have 2 big lever arch files of recipes for me and OH.

In your case I would start with wife's recipe books, finding low carb stuff so they are familiar and then why not give cooking a whirl yourself.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It sounds to me like she's not at all interested in cooking. Fast food versus microwave dinners?

If she's not interested in cooking real food, go ahead and do it yourself. It might be a little daunting at first, but you'll get the hang of it. Just start out easy and experiment.

I have a review regarding paleo cook book. You can just see it
    Paleo cook book

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
    I told my wife recently I have to stop eating like this. As she takes out Stouffer's chicken pasta dinner. She likes it because all she has to do is put holes in the shrink wrap and heat it up in the oven. That's actually what I had tonight for dinner. The pasta, green peas and garlic bread with water to drink. She bought a few of those "dinners" from the local grocery store.

I have told her in the past. It's not healthy for me. She counters with it's healthier than eating at McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc. If you eat like this you will still lose weight. I'm not sure about that. I tried to bring her on board with this but she refuses. Then tells me the cookbook features "too many exotic foods" and "it looks expensive".

That's why I want to find a Primal/Paleo cookbook that has simple ingredients at my local grocery store than at Whole Foods grocery stores. I want us both to cook healthy meals from this cookbook.

Please help. Thank you.
    You cook! You shop!

But, if that isn't an option, go to a used bookstore and find old cookbooks from the 1930s. Or, check out The Joy of Cooking.

BARNES & NOBLE | Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer, Scribner | Paperback, Hardcover, Other Format

Stouffer's is no better than fast food. Might be even worse because at a fast food restaurant you can try to piece together a reasonable meal.

"Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook:Real Food for Real Life" sounds reasonable. Great reviews; people describe the recipes as "simple". By Sarah Fragosos

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    To OP:

Just tell her she's lazy and you bought her a pre payed package to the community college cooking course. All will be well.

jmosery is offline Member
    I like to look at low carb recipes

They are often primal and easy and you can easy add carbs like tuber, sweet potatoes or white rice to them

Try Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

That's my favorite

camel is offline Senior Member
    That's because the largest portion of meals actually eaten by Primal/Paleo people are too simple to need a recipe:
    Meat and Veggie

Vary your meat, or the method of cooking, and try a new veggie, or a new spice on the meat/veggie.

Or try a new meat on a salad

Roasted Chicken rubbed with Rosemary and stuff with a whole lemon, and a side of roasted veggie(s)
    Steak drizzled with garlic butter and a side of salad
    Pork Chops baked with apple slices and a side of steamed veggies with butter.
    Ground beef sauteed with shredded cabbage (buy a bag of preshredded for super easy meal) add lots of butter and garlic. Dinner in under 10 min - dump in pan, stir, dump on plate.
    No recipes needed!
    What could be simpler?

camel is offline Senior Member
    Sunday -
    Throw a couple of chickens and a big roast beef into the oven. Cut up and wash some of your favorite veggies. Roast or steam them.
    Put veggies in individual microwaveable dishes, top with chicken or beef.
    Dot with butter, and sprinkle a different spice or weird cheese on each.
    Put in fridge.
    Voila -
    Microwave dinners all week!

Add a little bagged side salad with a great dressing, and you have gourmet. Well, almost

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    That's because the largest portion of meals actually eaten by Primal/Paleo people are too simple to need a recipe:
    Meat and Veggie

Vary your meat, or the method of cooking, and try a new veggie, or a new spice on the meat/veggie.

Or try a new meat on a salad

Roasted Chicken rubbed with Rosemary and stuff with a whole lemon, and a side of roasted veggie(s)
    Steak drizzled with garlic butter and a side of salad
    Pork Chops baked with apple slices and a side of steamed veggies with butter.
    Ground beef sauteed with shredded cabbage (buy a bag of preshredded for super easy meal) add lots of butter and garlic. Dinner in under 10 min - dump in pan, stir, dump on plate.
    No recipes needed!
    What could be simpler?
    To me, it sounds like his wife either lacks interest or lacks confidence in cooking. Some people need recipes to follow in the beginning no matter how simple.

I LOVE the ground meat/shredded cabbage meal. Did Mark post that a while back? I've started making it with bacon. Cook up the bacon and then cook the ground meat and cabbage (I add red onion) in the bacon grease. Add caraway seeds, ghee and salt. Oh, yum. We eat a variation of this about 3 times/month. Awesome leftovers.

Hell, even burgers on the grill every night is better than microwaved meals!

If you have a grill, get a book on *simple* grilling. She might enjoy having you grill out for *her*. Weber's Big Book of Grilling that came with my grill has great info on how to cook proteins. If you don't have a grill, and you can afford one, buy one!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast