Thread: IF on Primal and major constipation.. serious pain. page

The Primal Pimp is offline Junior Member

IF on Primal and major constipation.. serious pain.

Shop Now
    Hi all I've been off and on primal for a year or so and started back up early April after taking the winter off(argh) I was doing all good until i tired throwing IF in there. It started out ok but after a week or more of fasting from nine pm till one pm i noticed that i was only having a bm once every two days or more it didn't worry me until i started going longer like three days. I was eating three times a day but there were very big meals. At the peak of this i developed minor cramps then within a half a day or so it seemed i was soo backed up that my insides felt like there were going to burst. It was one of the most painful experiences of my life to say the least. I rushed to the store and got a big thing of apple juice(that was recommended online to help me bm)and drank almost the whole thing and curled in the showed for probably a hour or more until i was able to bm. It went away after a day or so and just yesterday it happened again. I had been eating out since Wednesday and stopped fasting due to my work and was consuming starchy foods and things not on the blue print, also i had quit caffeine on Friday of last week. I had at least 3-4 good size restaurant type meals a day between Wednesday and Friday and hadn't produce a bm sense Tuesday. Is this some what normal? I seriously thought my insides were going to burst. If anyone has any insight please respond. I'm thinking of stopping IF all together,i do not ever want to experience this AGAIN! Thanks for you time.

js290 is offline Senior Member

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    if'ing isn't a requirement on primal. and until you're more adapted and your gut more healed, i don't think it's a good idea for you.

if you've been on a grain-heavy/crap oil diet for a long time, switching over to veg and meat can be troublesome for your gut. it's become sluggish and lazy and the flora are completely disordered.

add probiotics and a magnesium supplement. i do better with cooked veg rather than raw, especially greens.

i'd also make up my mind to commit to clean eating for 30 or 60 days instead of jumping on and off the boat. i eat out often and have no problem eating clean.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thank you guys for the input. I will hold off on IF for awhile and try some supplement's and probiotics.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    I definitely recommend magnesium. I've been dealing with constipation my whole life, and Primal didn't help at all. When I first started, I didn't poop for like 2+ weeks, no joke. Probiotic pills do nothing for me, nor do any of the foods people suggest (pickles, bananas, more fat intake, etc). Only thing that helps me is magnesium. I take 500mg a day, or twice that if it's starting to have been a while.

Last week I stopped taking all my supplements for no particular reason, but since I stopped taking magnesium, I stopped pooping. Took 2000mg last night and produced normally today.

Also, keep in mind that if you are seriously having a POOP EMERGENCY and you feel like you have a brick in your gut and it's been over a week, head down to the drug store and buy a little bottle of magnesium citrate (not milk of magnesia). Get some that is lemon flavored if you can, because magnesium citrate is kinda sour. Anyway, pop it in the fridge until it's cold, then chug it down with 2 glasses of water and you should have a massive poop in a few hours. The stuff works by pulling a ton of water into your bowel (it is a salt), and basically flushing things out. So you have to drink a lot of water with it or you'll get dehydrated. But there are no other negative effects.

Good luck!

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    you can also do a salt flush or drink senna tea, which works well overnight. herbal, no chemicals.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    you seem to be worrying and bouncing around too much. Do high starch/high fat/mod protein for awhile to just get your system used to handling large amts of food, i believe everyone should be able to handle any of the macros with no problemo. Stay 100 percent primal, no crap, just eat past satiety(force feeding), try to do this for as long as you can,30 days if possible. the point is to not only teach the digestive track to work at full capacity, but also to psychologically get over this whole diet yo yo crap. food is not the enemy. youll be flooding your body with nutrients this way and rlly help up the metabolism, naturally your body may gain some weight like this, but it will regulate itself(the body is smart when you pump it full of healthy,real food) and eventually you will feel pretty damn awesome. after that you will just naturally start to just eat when hunger ensues(i dont advocate force feeding for a long time, its just a short period), its very difficult to continue to force feed urself on real foods, eventually you want to die and i think this is extremely healthy compared to this low calorie to lose weight bullshit people go on. after force feeding your body will know theres a surplus of food and will naturally tell you how much it wants to eat thru hunger signals, then with good sleep,good food and just moving your bum around(doesnt have to be exercise per se just dont be sitting if you can) the weight will drop off and you will feel awesome and have a strong digestive system. good luck!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
    Check out my blog on how to change your mindset,improving yourself as a person,health/fitness and travel
    Primal Ascendance

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Stop the fasting, just eat good food, moderate exercise no hard workouts, a tablespoon of psylium husks (solouble fibre) mixed in a glass or water or juice, before or during meals, if you get to 3 days no action then try epsom salts (Magnesium Sulphate) a few teaspoons in a glass of water, knock that down and don't stray too far from the toilet.
    Keep doing the same healthy, but not excessive regime, then when you are regular start to increase your exercise, workouts, etc.
    Don't try fasting till you have been regular for 3 months, you probably need to bias your diet to the fruit and veg side as it is likely a lower intestine issue and the extra fibre will get your bacterial numbers up and build proper stools.

Wow thank you so much everyone for the input! I have a really good idea of how to deal with this now. Just for the record i am in pretty damn good shape 5'10 150 pounds with a fair amount of lean muscle. Before i started primal i was about 165-70 and decently toned. Im trying to reach my "true form" and im getting pretty close to it. I wish more people could wake the fuck up and stop denying what is truly best for them.

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Go easy on the IF'ing. Go back to normal eating intervals and slowly increase IF time by 30 mins every week