Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corelation between magnesium and obesity/weight loss page

Ailvayn is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Corelation between magnesium and obesity/weight loss

Primal Fuel
    Considering I work at a Walmart as a cashier, when business dies down and we've got nothing to do, we go stand at the end of our isles and wait for customers. In the mean time, we get to stand there and look at all the headlines on the magazine racks. One caught my eye, that eating a diet rich in magnesium can help you lose weight (of course, vitamins and minerals are only a small part (though they make the whole) of the right diet for healthy eating) and can help reduce stress and anxiety and joint and muscle pains. I didn't bother to get the magazine (why should I when I have the internet, after all?) but I did come home and look it up.

So here's a link to an article I found about it, and I figured I would share, since I didn't see anything relating magnesium to weight loss or the deficiency of to obesity.

Magnesium - The Weight Loss Cure

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I do agree that magnesium is incredibly important, and that the vast majority of people don't get nearly enough of it. And I do believe it helps the body and brain function better.

I can't say it helps with weight loss, though. I take quite a bit of it - 1000 mg every day - and it keeps me from getting migraines, but I haven't see it make any kind of impact on my weight, for better or for worse.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I take about 600mg daily and it hasn't had any impact on my weight at all. I wish it had.

How long have you been taking it, though? I would hazard a guess that if you've been taking it for a very long time and eating healthy, or only for a short time, that you might not have noticed any difference made by a magnesium supplement. Maybe it makes a bigger difference in habitually unhealthy eaters?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I can't speak for others, but I was eating Primal for a few months, then started taking magnesium and have been very faithfully for almost a year now. I haven't seen it make a difference in my weight, though it has made other positive changes, like significantly reducing migraines and eliminating restless leg syndrome. But no difference in my weight.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

KimNKY is offline Member
    I don't take magnesium daily so can't say whether it's helped with weight loss, but (not wanting to be TMI) it's great for helping with PMS symptoms.

I've been primal for about a year, started taking magnesium about 6 months ago. Weight loss stayed the same as before I started taking it, except for this past month where I've been super stressed out with some personal problems and have actually gained 8lbs.

That article also talks a lot about magnesium being related to insulin resistance and abdominal fat, neither of which apply to me. I've always had normal blood sugar levels, and I do not carry weight in my abdomen. It's almost all in my legs/butt. Maybe it only helps people who have the abdominal fat/insulin resistance? I don't know, I just know it has no affect on MY weight loss.

Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to give it a test myself, between my mother and I (if I can convince her to take it every day...) and see what I come up with.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hope it works for you! Wish it would make me lose weight, lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast