Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corelation between magnesium and obesity/weight loss page 2

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Minerals play a role in weight loss, yes.

Ailvayn is offline Junior Member
    To give you all an update: Prior to starting taking magnesium supplements I was 169lbs and on a plateau there. Now, not even two weeks later, I'm 162. I haven't changed anything else.
    I do, however, as most of my family does, store fat around my middle but have the notorious "chicken legs" (though not as bad as my aunt and my dad does) and quite seriously a very flat butt. So perhaps it is a thing for people with abdominal fat. I'll keep updating everyone as time goes by.

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    I've been seriously magnesium deficient (due to IBS and poor diet) and its not pretty (fibromyalgia symptoms, terrible back spasms, etc) so I now take it religiously. I've seen no weight loss I can contribute to Mg. But its quite likely that you will plateau easily if your Mg levels are low. Mg is also required for vitamin D metabolism which can have a big effect on weight loss. I would say research the foods high in Mg, if you get your daily requirements (plus 50-100%), and you don't have any GI issues, then adding Mg will probably not help you. Just keep eating well.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium deficiency inhibits carb metabolism.

The irony is that many folk exacerbate this problem when they cut out potatoes.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    I noticed the biggest change after we made the complete switch to all grassefed meat and dairy thats when it seemed the mag kicked in for us!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    This has got me interested. Not for the weight loss, been losing plenty there, but for the Insulin resistence. Magnessium could be the missing piece for me. I have been Primal for almost a year, and have seen no affect on my Type II diabetes. I have glanced at other posts on Magnessium, not really paying much attention to them, but I recall there being more than I type? Could be wrong. So what type of Magnessium should I be taking?

Thanks.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

katemary is offline Senior Member
    the advice I took away after reading many many Mg threads on here, particularly from the knowledgeable Cillakat (sadly, not around much anymore) is to pick a form that ends in "ate". Mine contains mainly Mg orotate and Mg aspartate

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think the type of magnesium is going to be fairly individual. I know everyone raved about chelated magnesium glycinate, but it didn't work anywhere near as well for me as crappy old magnesium oxide from the drugstore. Other people have problems with that type.

I do know that magnesium is lacking for most people, and that it does help the body and brain function better.

In my case though, I'm not taking it for insulin resistance, I'm taking it for migraines. I don't know if that makes a difference.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Dontcha just love articles like that?

Anyway, if you want food sources for magnesium instead of taking a pill, this is a pretty good source: WHFoods: magnesium

There is an extensive list of food sources for magnesium about two-thirds of the way down the page.

SaraShaw is offline Junior Member

Magnesium

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am currently taking Magnesium and it is helping in my weight loss. I am already on a diet and it seems to help a little bit. I had been losing weight before without it... then I started taking it and noticed things speed up. So I can see that people that are not dieting or not trying might not notice anything. I am taking a liquid that alleges it is ionic and more easily absorbed.

It has also given me more energy and nips those headaches in the bud. It seems to work best during PMS. Keeping me from being super tired, no cravings, and it seems to stop the bloat.

I think your results will depend on what kind of magnesium you take and if you are already dieting. For me it seems to add like .5 lbs to my weight loss each week. But I can imagine that if I wasn't dieting it wouldn't do anything but keep me stable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12