Thread: Sore Toe. What to do? page

wiltondeportes Guest

Sore Toe. What to do?

I've had what I think is called "turf toe" for almost two months now. It's a real annoyance because it just doesn't seem to want to heal all the way.

Does anyone have advice on healing the damn thing? Rest, ice are a couple obvious ones. What else?

I recall reading about possibly an Aborigine medicine man who treated an anthropologist's sore toe by rubbing something on it, and the pain went away almost immediately. Anybody know anything about this or maybe other alternate treatment methods?

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Good heavens! I googled images to see what is a turf toe and found a picture of a camel toe

What exactly is affected, the nail or the joint?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Good heavens! I googled images to see what is a turf toe and found a picture of a camel toe

That's the magic of Google Images.

It's basically a soreness in the connective tissue and joint of the big toe. It was overextended when it was injured. These are very long-term injuries; in fact, I think I re-injured it a couple months ago from an injury that goes back to years ago. (Of all stupidness, I think I first injured it when I asked myself "why doesn't the toe stretch up more?" So I stretched it until it hurt.)

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post

Ha!

Hope your toe feels better soon.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    ... in fact, I think I re-injured it a couple months ago from an injury that goes back to years ago. (Of all stupidness, I think I first injured it when I asked myself "why doesn't the toe stretch up more?" So I stretched it until it hurt.)
    You're not alone. You remind me of an excellent book I have on stretching I should post a note on in case it's of use to people. Sadly, it seems there's a fair amount of damage among sportspeople, and others who stretch regularly, caused precisely by incautious stretching. It's an interesting example of the way our efforts to correct problems sometimes make things worse. People try to stretch a muscle in postures in which the muscle needs to be partially contracted, overstretch, choose positions that muck up alignment, put pressure on the sciatic nerve, and stress ligaments. Overstretching a muscle puts a load on the tendon, and since tendon is tougher and less elastic than either muscle or the bone covering (periosteum) it won't stretch, which means that (usually) either the muscle or the periosteum will tear, although it is possible even to damage tendon.

Presumably, you've either damaged tendons or ligaments. I should suppose the latter, but I'm no authority. I'd think, as you say, that rest and ice are the obvious solutions. I think that's about all that's likely to help. I guess glucosamine and chondroitin -- or, better, homemade bone broth -- are some help for joints -- maybe for tendons, too, since those are mostly collagen.

To be honest I'd be a little skeptical of Aboriginal medicine men. I think they probably have a great deal of practical knowledge -- so, for example, no doubt the paste can reduce inflammation a little -- and practical psychological insight into their patients. They've probably also managed to develop some propensities that are weaker with us, like ESP. But ... well ... one of their techniques is to produce a quartz crystal that has been "taken" from a patient's body. Has to be palmed, hasn't it? I can't see that can be anything other than conscious trickery.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Any reason not to use an NSAID, like Ibuprofen or Naproxen? Also tape the big toe to the next toe.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    cut it off *thumb up*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Any reason not to use an NSAID, like Ibuprofen or Naproxen? Also tape the big toe to the next toe.
    Not necessarily. I know that is the typical advice along with rest and ice.

Bone broth is an alright idea.

Lewis: as best as I can tell, the medicine man must have rubbed something on his toe that promotes blood flow. It expands blood vessels. I don't have time to look up the name for that attribute. Anybody know of a good product that does this? I think it's a vascilidator.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eat more fat.