Hi everyone,

I started PB about a month ago, and wanted to start a journal to hold myself accountable. In the past I've needed to report into someone or track my habits to keep on track... but I've also had issues with counting every single calorie/carb and having it turn into disordered eating behavior. So I hope keeping a general journal will be a nice middle ground between those!

I'm 30 years old and living in the Cincinnati area, and I'm not comfortable sharing exact numbers but I need to lose 44% of my body weight to get to "healthy" (according to CW/my medical insurance company). I was attracted to Primal Blueprint because I studied anthropology and human evolution in school, and it just clicked with me- reading through Mark's Daily Apple I had a huge "OMG" moment where it all made so much sense and I couldn't believe I hadn't realized it before. Since I started eating primally I lose about 3 pounds per week when I'm doing a good job, although I've had some slips abusing the 80/20 principle.

Here are a few things I need to work on to get past those slips and really start getting into shape:

-Quick meals for weeknights. Most days my commute to work is at least an hour (45 minutes on a good traffic day), and when I get home I'm tired and lack the energy to cook a decent meal. Most of the time I cook a lot on weekends and reheat during the week, but it doesn't always work out that way. I need to work on prepping meals in advance, so I'm not tempted to get something quick instead (like last night, where I forgot to thaw my steak and ended up ordering pizza, then eating too much until I wanted to throw up... more disordered behavior I think).

-The same for breakfast... I'm one of those people who can't function without it, and since I started the PB I realize it needs to have fat to hold me over until lunch. The issue here is I have trouble sleeping and getting out of bed on time, and if breakfast isn't ready in advance I'm stuck grabbing something near work- and there is almost nothing that isn't covered in wheaty carbs. So I need to find ways to have a filling breakfast ready in advance most days.

-I also need to ramp up my exercise. I'm doing a decent job making it to the gym on weekends and one night per week, and on the days I can't make it there I walk 20-30 minutes around my neighborhood or on my lunch break at work. I need to start on weights, but find them intimidating at the gym. I might start out with some hand weights and an exercise ball at home, until I have more confidence.

-All of this also ties in to sleep, which has been so bad I'm thinking of having a sleep study done. I have tons of energy at night and have trouble getting to sleep (although once I do there's no trouble staying asleep), then waking up in the morning is horrible. I average 4-5 hours a night and because of that depend way too much on caffeine. I've switched some of my coffee intake over to tea, but still need way too much caffeine to get through a day.

I think that's all for now! I look forward to making new online friends- if you read and have any advice or constructive criticism, please feel free to share.