Thread: You had me at 'Evolution'- Another Journal page

KimNKY is offline Member

You had me at 'Evolution'- Another Journal

Hi everyone,

I started PB about a month ago, and wanted to start a journal to hold myself accountable. In the past I've needed to report into someone or track my habits to keep on track... but I've also had issues with counting every single calorie/carb and having it turn into disordered eating behavior. So I hope keeping a general journal will be a nice middle ground between those!

I'm 30 years old and living in the Cincinnati area, and I'm not comfortable sharing exact numbers but I need to lose 44% of my body weight to get to "healthy" (according to CW/my medical insurance company). I was attracted to Primal Blueprint because I studied anthropology and human evolution in school, and it just clicked with me- reading through Mark's Daily Apple I had a huge "OMG" moment where it all made so much sense and I couldn't believe I hadn't realized it before. Since I started eating primally I lose about 3 pounds per week when I'm doing a good job, although I've had some slips abusing the 80/20 principle.

Here are a few things I need to work on to get past those slips and really start getting into shape:

-Quick meals for weeknights. Most days my commute to work is at least an hour (45 minutes on a good traffic day), and when I get home I'm tired and lack the energy to cook a decent meal. Most of the time I cook a lot on weekends and reheat during the week, but it doesn't always work out that way. I need to work on prepping meals in advance, so I'm not tempted to get something quick instead (like last night, where I forgot to thaw my steak and ended up ordering pizza, then eating too much until I wanted to throw up... more disordered behavior I think).

-The same for breakfast... I'm one of those people who can't function without it, and since I started the PB I realize it needs to have fat to hold me over until lunch. The issue here is I have trouble sleeping and getting out of bed on time, and if breakfast isn't ready in advance I'm stuck grabbing something near work- and there is almost nothing that isn't covered in wheaty carbs. So I need to find ways to have a filling breakfast ready in advance most days.

-I also need to ramp up my exercise. I'm doing a decent job making it to the gym on weekends and one night per week, and on the days I can't make it there I walk 20-30 minutes around my neighborhood or on my lunch break at work. I need to start on weights, but find them intimidating at the gym. I might start out with some hand weights and an exercise ball at home, until I have more confidence.

-All of this also ties in to sleep, which has been so bad I'm thinking of having a sleep study done. I have tons of energy at night and have trouble getting to sleep (although once I do there's no trouble staying asleep), then waking up in the morning is horrible. I average 4-5 hours a night and because of that depend way too much on caffeine. I've switched some of my coffee intake over to tea, but still need way too much caffeine to get through a day.

I think that's all for now! I look forward to making new online friends- if you read and have any advice or constructive criticism, please feel free to share.

KimNKY is offline Member
    So for today...

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, most of a peach
    Lunch: Shoulder steak braised with tomatoes, onions, chicken stock, and rosemary (fresh from my garden!)
    Snack: a little bit of chicken breast + a couple of strawberries
    Dinner: Salad with red leaf lettuce, tomato, sunflower seeds, blue cheese crumbles, and primal-ish homemade Ranch. Baked apples and peaches with honey, cinnamon, pecans, and cashews.

I made enough lunch for a few servings. but just ate one and will save the rest for during the week. I also put a chicken in the crockpot to slow cook all day- once it cools I'll shred up, then freeze half and save the other half for next week. I'm thinking of lettuce wraps, and mixed with sauce and eaten with spaghetti squash. Will also make broth out of the carcass and freeze that!

I did about a 20 minute walk around my neighborhood but ended early when my ankle started bothering me. I'm toward the end of recovering from a fracture that had me in a cast for 6 weeks, so just trying to be careful. If it's still not behaving tomorrow I'll do some walking with a brace and pilates/floor exercises.
    Last edited by KimNKY; 06-16-2012 at 06:21 PM.

KimNKY is offline Member
    Today's schedule was a little weird, since I was out and running errands most of the afternoon.

Breakfast: Leftover baked fruit and nuts from last night
    Lunch: Leftover braised shoulder steak and vegetables from yesterday, a few bites of leftover cod
    Snack 1: 2 small cookies (less than the size of my palm, counted in the 20%)
    Snack 2: about 10 raw cashews
    Dinner: Teriyaki pork tenderloin and frozen vegetables stir fried in coconut oil, some raw pea pods on the side.

Didn't do an "official" workout, but I worked in my garden for a while and walked around a mall for almost 2 hours. So I'm counting that but will work harder tomorrow!

Funny story about the cookies- I was at a friend's house and she offered them to me, then said "OH WAIT, they're not in your paleontology diet, are they?" She also said it must be working because I looked really good. So at least someone IRL has my back, even if they're a little off. :P

To prep for this week, I packed up 2 meals of stir fry leftovers and baked a pound of uncured bacon for breakfasts. Also, the chicken carcass from yesterday was in the crockpot overnight with some vegetable peels and water, and I froze a few pints of homemade chicken stock.

Back to work tomorrow, but I have new shoes so maybe it won't be so bad!
    Last edited by KimNKY; 06-17-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Primal-JoJo is offline Senior Member
    Hey Kim - welcome to the boards, and to being primal!! Primal really does make sense -- I felt the same way when I read about it - it just seemed right.

I can totally relate to your issue with preparing meals. I've been primal for about 10 months now, and the major thing I'm looking forward to changing in the next year is making meals more convenient and not cooking as much. Even though I absolutely love cooking and it was a major draw for me when going primal (so many cool new recipes to try out!!) - when your spending 30 minutes minimum almost every single day there's some days where you just wanna say "eff this" and go back to some old favourite convenience foods (well, not REALLY - but some days I just get cranky!).

Anyways, I've been thinking about this lately and here are some of my plans to deal with this (plans because I'm currently at my parents' for the the next while, and am not in full control of my food).

• Pick one day a week and prepare some things ahead that you will use up that week. I.e., I eat veggies almost everyday, so on sundays I'll chop as many as I can up and store it in tupperware ready to go. Also could make a few sides ahead - like cauliflower rice, or a soup or broth to eat throughout the week. Bake/grill extra meat and throw it into salads or just reheat quickly during the week.
    • Plan hardcores. I've always planned my food weekly ahead of time, so I generally know what I'm going to eat all week. So I plan to up this a notch by doing some of the make aheads above.
    • Use your crockpot more. You seem like you have the perfect lifestyle for this. Take advantage. I'm usually working from home, so crockpot actually usually pisses me off lol. BUT I came across the idea of crock pot breakfasts! Genius, throw something in before bed, wake up to breakfast! (you can go beyond standard breakfasts foods here as well for more flexibility)

Anyways, hope that gives you some ideas. I think I'll be following along to see what you come up with! Also, to cheer you on with your success!

Cheers!
    Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
    My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
    Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

KimNKY is offline Member
    Breakfast: 1 egg fried in coconut oil, 2 slices of bacon. This was not enough and I was hungry way before lunch, so next time I'll add some extra egg whites and/or vegetables.

Snack: a few cashews to tide me over before lunch.

Lunch: Catered at work, so not much of a choice. At least it was Chipotle instead of the usual pizza, so I had a burrito bowl with pork, salsa, cheese, and vegetables piled on.

Dinner: Big-ass salad with red leaf lettuce, avocado, tomato, cucumber, turkey breast, and a little bacon. Made up a ranch-ish dressing out of Greek yogurt, some hot sauce, and seasoning.

No exercise today because I seem to have screwed my ankle up wearing heels before my ankle was ready for them (toward the end of recovering from a torn ligament from an accident earlier this year). When I got home I took my air cast out of storage and put it back on, hoping immobilizing/supporting my foot for a while will help. I'm jealous of Grokette not having to wear makeup and dangerous footwear to be taken seriously!

KimNKY is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal-JoJo View Post
    • Pick one day a week and prepare some things ahead that you will use up that week. I.e., I eat veggies almost everyday, so on sundays I'll chop as many as I can up and store it in tupperware ready to go. Also could make a few sides ahead - like cauliflower rice, or a soup or broth to eat throughout the week. Bake/grill extra meat and throw it into salads or just reheat quickly during the week.
    • Plan hardcores. I've always planned my food weekly ahead of time, so I generally know what I'm going to eat all week. So I plan to up this a notch by doing some of the make aheads above.
    • Use your crockpot more. You seem like you have the perfect lifestyle for this. Take advantage. I'm usually working from home, so crockpot actually usually pisses me off lol. BUT I came across the idea of crock pot breakfasts! Genius, throw something in before bed, wake up to breakfast! (you can go beyond standard breakfasts foods here as well for more flexibility)
    Hi Jojo, thanks for the advice!

I actually did use my crockpot a lot before I went primal, to cook beans and pasta dishes. I kind of forgot about it for a while but started to realize it's great for cheap tough cuts of meat or just cooking something without using the oven. Last summer on the really hot days I'd put dinner in and stick it outside so I didn't have to run the A/C as much- it was great!

I work from home on most Wednesdays, so my plan for this week is to cook something all day in the crockpot just to freeze or save for later, and a separate meal to have for dinner. What kind of breakfast foods have you made in a crockpot? All the recipes I've seen are heavy on the grains and oats.

I do like your point about planning ahead for a whole week! I think that would get rid of the last-minute stuff where I just go for the easy/quick meal. Even if I had some vegetables already cut up, that could become a small meal on its own if done right.

In term's of breakfast I've been really branching out for ideas here. Although you can make a basic egg casserole in the crock pot - eggs and lots of veggies and meat. Haven't tried this yet. But I'm sure if you googled it some recipe would come up.

I've mostly been thinking of making stews to have as breakfast. And then maybe throw in a fried or poached egg with it. I feel like a breakfast stew would last a few days, so the convenience factor would be great. Also make a hunk of meat in the slow cooker and have some for breakfast... So many ideas. I've found it helpful to go beyond "breakfast" foods and eat whatever.

Anywho, I'm passing out right now, but I'll post a few recipes I found next time I'm around!
    Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
    My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
    Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!