Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Praise for CAFO meat and ethnic grocery stores page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Praise for CAFO meat and ethnic grocery stores

I finally got around to checking out a small, local grocery store. It was recommended for the meats. Oh my, why did I wait so long? Pork bellies. Pork livers. Tongue. Stuff I had no idea what it was. I know none of it is grass fed, but there was everything you could ever want there. Everything was bilingual and some things were only in Spanish. I asked the butcher for heart and he didn't know what that was so I pointed to my own heart and he was like oh, yeah, we have that. I brought home a corazon de res for about $8. $2.50 a pound. Grassfed, that sucker would have been minimum $9 a pound and the only way I would be able to get it is to order online and go pick up in a tiny, inconvenient window of time on the one day during the week they let you pick it up.

I hate feedlots, I think they are inhumane and bad for the environment. But in my town all the grassfed stuff is mainly $20/lb ribeyes, NY steaks and $8/lb chuck roasts (thank god for chuck). Where does all the offal go? There's a whole lot of waste somewhere in the grassfed world. A whole lot of dogs must be eating the offal that should be mine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i shop in asian markets often. yes, it's conventional meats, but yesterday they had packages of duck heads! YES! right in the freezer for broth! i buy chicken heads, backs and feet there too. beef neck bones, shank and "foot", also for broth.

still trying to figure out what to do with the fertilized eggs they carry.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Also the ethnic markets seem to have a wider variety of animals on offer. I don't really think the CAFO/GF distinction means that much when it comes to things like goat, rabbit, venison, and game birds like goose and squab.

I get most of my meat at an all meat CSA for $8/lb for an 8 pound grab-bag of cuts per month. I also order a bunch of offal and bones from them on the side which they are happy to get rid of really cheaply.

wider variety of meats, offal and greens as well. all kinds of greens that i do not know what they are, but they taste great with butter, lol.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 06-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

icz
    icz is offline Member
    Check with a grass-fed farmer. My guy at the farmers market
    has given me liver on a couple of occasions because no one will buy it - ha!

meat csa shares here are very spendy -- out of my budget.

Ernest Hemingway

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I moved to a rural area 7 years ago and learned a bunch about buying meat, at least as it is done here. Many of the locals have a bit (or a lot) of land and raise a cow or two for beef (as well as pigs). There are a couple of local processors in this county who kill and butcher the animal. Those who don't care to have so much beef at one time offer the other half for sale informally in the family / circle of friends, so those family / friends can benefit from small-farm, slow-raised, local, at least partly pastured meat. Stupidly, the locals do NOT eat liver, heart, tail, tongue, bones, tallow, etc. I benefit from this by buying entire beef hearts for ONE dollar EACH, for example.

My point to this is: if you go visit some processors in more rural areas and ask around for nicely help, I am sure you could eventually hook up with someone local who would love the money for the half beef and you could ask to take all the trimmings from the whole animal. Processors do whatever you want them to in regard to cutting - that is what they are there for.

If you are not in the mood for a freezer of beef, still ask what unpopular bits they have or can save for you. The one I visit has walk-in freezers full of stuff waiting for purchase - like the beef hearts - because nobody wanted them in their order (even though the cow came equipped with it). And even though I am rural, I am not exactly stranded out in the middle of Nowhere... the nearest medium-sized city is only less than two hours away - we don't get a lot of traffic simply because urban / suburban folks don't think there is anything here worth spending the gas on (but that is okay - retains the quietness and open space, which I love...). Lots of folks drive farther than two hours just for weekend fun.

Hope this give you some helpful ideas.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I went to the local ethnic grocery store last Friday and didn't find much in the way of animal foods but otoh found a lot of other things I will eventually want to stock up on. I had a Coke, the first one I've drank in years.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Those are great ideas, crabbcakes, however the rural areas where I live are full of money. I mean not just money, but MONEY.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Also the ethnic markets seem to have a wider variety of animals on offer. I don't really think the CAFO/GF distinction means that much when it comes to things like goat, rabbit, venison, and game birds like goose and squab.
    I wonder about this a lot...I just found an amazing asian market that has EVERY weird body part of every animal you could think of - I picked up a bag of brains not realizing what it was at first. They even sell 'pig faces' and a lot of stuff that's not labeled, so it's anyone's guess.

I really wanted to get some of it, but my husband is really paranoid about eating organ meats, brains, and marrow from animals that aren't grassfed, raised in a super healthy way...he paints visions of massive CAFO toxin bombs waiting to sicken us...so he talked me out of it, but damn, I really wanted to embrace that bag of brains.

There was goat there, too, and I wish I knew whether it was safe enough to eat, or if I should just stick with the expensive pastured stuff I've been getting from the farmers market.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast