Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused newbie about balancing nutrtion, and being full. page

Michaeljwjr is offline Junior Member

Red face Confused newbie about balancing nutrtion, and being full.

Shop Now
    Since I went primal/paleo ~ 45 days ago, I've been full almost all the time. The only times I'm really ever hungry, are about 2 hours after my morning workout, but lately not even then.

Now I am overweight. I'm ~275lbs and I generally fast after my Friday morning meal till Saturday morning meal. I'm thinking of just fasting the whole weekend soon, but I've wondering about balancing in required nutrition to maintain healthy, and to help recover after my morning workouts.

Should I just consolidate my entire daily intake of nutrition into one meal, and make sure to get that meal every day, or is it ok to skip meals even though I'm working out every weekday morning? If I waited till I was hungry, i'd often be waiting quite awhile.

Yeah I don't ignore hunger signals, part of my daily mediation is acknowlding what my body is telling me and it's just not telling me I'm hungry. I now eat just to get my daily protein and vegetables, as opposed to eating because I feel I need to eat food. If I could just not eat I would and wait till I was hungry. I might try that next week and see how it affects my workouts. Just skipping "meals" until i'm hungry.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I love my 8 hour eating window, but I don't workout until 3-4 usually. Depends on your workouts, if you are trying to loose weight, your workouts should be geared towards that, I would take bcaa's for recovery after your morning workouts for recovery and muscle repair, and once you start eating, give yourself an 8 hour eating window, I fill up on all my nutrients in about 2 meals, works for me.

Example:
    wake up 8am-2pm ( coffee, black)
    2pm- 4pm ( bcaa's post workout, protein shake after)
    4pm-9/10pm ( eat until 10pm or stuffed, usually 2 meals in there, big post workout, and then a smaller one before bed)
    fast 10pm-wake up 8am

repeat

Sorry Wolfman, not familiar with the term "bcaa".

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Eat when you are hungry. I think it's better to eat when your body tells you to than to force feed yourself when you are not hungry. You will be building good habits by listening to your body.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljwjr View Post
    Sorry Wolfman, not familiar with the term "bcaa".
    BCAA = Branched chain amino acids

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    although i agree with not forcefeeding yourself, you have to really be careful with fasting/one meal a day templates because that can really up your cortisol without you realizing it. I would say try to get in 2 meals a day at least, morning -early evening so that your body doesnt think theres a lack of food in the environment and stores fat. Make sure youre getting a nice solid whop of protein in both meals,and a nice amount of fat and veggies. You might try doing a little carb load post workout to stimulate the appetite a bit and for recovery purposes, nothing too big maybe half/whole sweet potatoe? go with what works for you. Keep an eye on your sleep/recovery times/and general energy levels throughout the day, if those stay stable thats good, but remember that what works for you now may hurt you later, so always stay open minded and be willing to change direction if you feel detrimental affects. good luck!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    Check out my blog where i talk about health,fitness,travelling and changing your mindset
    Primal Ascendance
    Eat.Sleep.Learn.Train.Ascend

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljwjr View Post
    Since I went primal/paleo ~ 45 days ago, I've been full almost all the time. The only times I'm really ever hungry, are about 2 hours after my morning workout, but lately not even then.

Now I am overweight. I'm ~275lbs and I generally fast after my Friday morning meal till Saturday morning meal. I'm thinking of just fasting the whole weekend soon, but I've wondering about balancing in required nutrition to maintain healthy, and to help recover after my morning workouts.

Should I just consolidate my entire daily intake of nutrition into one meal, and make sure to get that meal every day, or is it ok to skip meals even though I'm working out every weekday morning? If I waited till I was hungry, i'd often be waiting quite awhile.
    You had a question? Sorry, I was just too busy looking at that handsome face and forgot what it was. Pay no mind to the lecherous old lady.

But seriously, Mark has a concept he calls WHEN which stands for When Hunger Ensues Naturally. I think that might be a good starting place for you. Look up his MDA post about it as compared to other types of IFs.

Best wishes to you.

Thanks you all for the advice (and compliment) I'll try it out through the next week.

ryan54 is offline Member
    If you're not hungry, there's no need to eat. My body's been telling me to not eat every day for the last week plus, and every day I eat. And I've felt crappy. Working out while not eating might be a little scary, but I did it the other day and felt fine. No hunger signals after the workout either. Don't eat just to eat! Sometimes your body needs a break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast