Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Potatoes page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCook View Post
    Potato having fat allot so,its better for weight gain but don't include it whenever your trying to reduce weight ,tomato is good for weight loss even you can add whey protein in your diet chart.
    This "guilt by association" of potatoes is nonsense. This is the same logic used by CSPI in saying that "most people fry potatoes, therefore you shouldn't eat them no matter how you cook them".

Potatoes are good. Fat is good. Losing weight is not speeded up by going fat-free, nor is being fat-free a successful long-term weight management strategy.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes have a high glycemic index and, as Cordain correctly says, contain toxins.

The toxins are easily destroyed through cooking: boiling potatoes for 20-30 minutes can remove almost all of them.
    As for the glycemic index, just have them after a workout and you won't have problems: I myself do like this, they are my official side dish for sunday's roasted meat: I cook them with rosemary, sage, thymus, savory, squeezed fresh garlic and chopped onions. And the fat of the meat of course

They are not a everyday food, they are "just starches". I consider them an alternative to rice.

Glycemic index is way overrated except as a source of income for diet gurus and diet food snake oil salesmen who sell to obsessed dieters.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    Potatoes have a high glycemic index and, as Cordain correctly says, contain toxins.

The toxins are easily destroyed through cooking: boiling potatoes for 20-30 minutes can remove almost all of them.
    As for the glycemic index, just have them after a workout and you won't have problems: I myself do like this, they are my official side dish for sunday's roasted meat: I cook them with rosemary, sage, thymus, savory, squeezed fresh garlic and chopped onions. And the fat of the meat of course

They are not a everyday food, they are "just starches". I consider them an alternative to rice.
    The cool thing about this forum is I'm not sure whether "thymus" is a typo or not

Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    The cool thing about this forum is I'm not sure whether "thymus" is a typo or not

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    IMHO Potatoes are fine. I like to have them with runny eggs sometimes to soak up the yolk. I cook a small potato in my microwave smoosh it up and put the eggs over top.

Something potatoes did for me was to keep me from getting nauseous when I was pregnant and they also seemed to help with heartburn. Smashed potatoes with cream and butter are one of my comfort foods.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Glycemic index is way overrated except as a source of income for diet gurus and diet food snake oil salesmen who sell to obsessed dieters.
    I have come around to thinking this as well. For one thing GI does not calculate what else you are eating with your meal. What happens to the GI of a potato when you eat it alone..compared to with a steak? Also, most healthy people can eat high GI foods without blood sugar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    I have come around to thinking this as well. For one thing GI does not calculate what else you are eating with your meal. What happens to the GI of a potato when you eat it alone..compared to with a steak? Also, most healthy people can eat high GI foods without blood sugar issues.
    Most people don't understand it anyway. I've been told that brown rice is much better for you than white rice because of its glycemic index, when actually the difference is not significant, while the difference between whole rice and rice flour is large.

But even so, it doesn't make much difference to the body.

Chupo is online now Member
    Japanese who eat potatoes instead of rice live longer. The preference for tubers over grains is something the people of Yuzuri Hara have in common with Okinawans.

Last edited by Chupo; 05-22-2013 at 11:20 AM.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    these 2 MDA blog posts sum the dilemma up well
    Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

they affect my blood sugar too much and as I'm trying to control my diabetes they aren't worth it for me. I find the mashed cauliflower a palatable substitute

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123