Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Potatoes page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Enjoy both sweet and white potatoes.

Not that I'm trying to get anything started here, but if the carby taters send that awful flood of insulin into my body and all that jazz, I wonder how in the world I managed to break a year old weight loss stall by starting to eat potatoes in liberal quantities at that?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Enjoy both sweet and white potatoes.

Not that I'm trying to get anything started here, but if the carby taters send that awful flood of insulin into my body and all that jazz, I wonder how in the world I managed to break a year old weight loss stall by starting to eat potatoes in liberal quantities at that?
    Was that on the potato diet?

I think I read something about that, the potatoes don't provide the right type of something for you, so your body has to break our your stored fat reserves to get it.

So nothing-but-potatoes is a great fad diet, but inadequate long term.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Was that on the potato diet?

I think I read something about that, the potatoes don't provide the right type of something for you, so your body has to break our your stored fat reserves to get it.

So nothing-but-potatoes is a great fad diet, but inadequate long term.
    No, It wasn't the all potato thing. I simply decided to up my carbs from 60 - 70 to the 130- 140g. range by basically adding cooked and chilled potatoes to my dinner.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Fair enough.

We've added potatoes back in too, and basically always have a 'starch' as part of the evening meal (rice/potato/kumara/carrots).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

miata is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes have been great for me if I eat them with fats. I do more with Japanese satumaimo and Okinawa purple, but use small white potatoes with a lamb stew or Thai style curry.

NATLES is offline Member
    I did find on the website, sweet potatoes are ok. I am going to have a nice one tonight with butter, yum!! I have actually been doing pretty well, after getting on the FitDay page and entering my day's meals, maybe need a little more carbs but getting more calories than I should. I figure, I have lost almost 10 lbs since Monday so I think I'm ok on calories. Having 3 or 4 pieces of dark chocolate at night to keep me going and it seems to help. Thanks for the replies!!

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    I went a year without potatoes, but I've added them back into my diet now, and I am LOVING them!

OMG! Potatoes rock my world! LOL
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I eat potatoes on occasion. Sometimes they give me heartburn, as do other nightshades.

To me, if you are trying to lose weight, potatoes can be easy to overeat. You can eat a lot bigger volume of cauliflower than potato for the same calories. But an awareness of that is easy enough to cultivate.

Insulin, ketosis.... all that science aside, but I feel like primal/paleo diets mainly work because they eliminate foods that are easy to overeat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes are full of nutrients and good for gaining fat.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    I went a year without potatoes, but I've added them back into my diet now, and I am LOVING them!

OMG! Potatoes rock my world! LOL
    I cut out potatoes for a year too - and most other obvious carbs. But I began to feel v weak, listless and tired all the time. Adding potatoes back into my diet - some most days - sorted that out. Two years now WITH potatoes and I feel great. Digestion better, weight has stayed stable, and sleeping better. Win win for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast