Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Periods, fatigue, and nutrition page 2

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've always had really horrible periods and they are still fairly horrible even with a good Primal diet. The cramps and nausea are a lot less now though. The things I think have helped me most:

Magnesium supplements - these aid peristalsis (movement of muscles in the bowel) and also reduce painful cramping.
    Omega 3 - I eat fish and also supplement, taking a larger dose during my period. I believe a high fat diet assists the natural cleansing down there.
    Herbal teas - Marigold/Calendula is a diuretic, it helps with bloating. Ginger tea, helps with nausea. Chamomile is calming.
    Chocolate!!! I try not to cheat too often but I think chocolate is an essential medicine at that time of the month!
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium helps me; I get by okay, but then ran out of my Mg Softcaps, and the hard ones didn't do it (even though same brand, Nature's Way). Every day of the month, religiously. Since I had da kids, I also have these weird post-mens blues, before them it was only Pre-MS. Very strange and exhausting. Fish oil def helps too, but makes me break out big time. And, funnily, using a cup instead of other stuff helps too. That one runs more under one less annoyance/less pain to deal with.
    You can also look into Monk's pepper, that helps regulate hormones. And then there is a whole thing about natural progesterone, but not sure what that is about. Might be for perimenopause or something, not sure but could be looked into.
    Good luck! It sucks to spend so much time under hormonal weather, doesn't it?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Regarding the OP, there are two critical nutritional points in the Menstral Cycle, Mensus & Ovulation, without any specific day counts between I would assume these are the two points when you feel your symptoms, fatigue etc. at Mensus as you mentioned & mood swings most likely at or just before ovulation.
    fatigue comes just at the end of menses (so days 5-8) and depression comes maybe around days 10-11. I suspect that i ovulate twice a cycle rather often (maybe not every cycle) with the second ovulation coming around day 26/27 assuming a 27-28 day cycle (pretty normal for me). I don't practice FAM so I'm not sure about the bi-cycle ovulation, just basing that off of behavioral factors (i'm very "in the mood") and CM. I should mention that i'm also nursing a 2 year old, I think this is maybe my 5th cycle since giving birth to him (lactational amenorrhea lasts a while for me). Anyway, i just wanted to point out that the days and my moods are a little different than you described.

I'm assuming iron status isn't an issue because i do eat quite a bit of red meat (usually around 1 lb per day, sometimes more or less) and a bit of greens, and also that i was tested during my last pregnancy and found to be on the high end of normal. That said, AFAIK my periods are heavy, though that seems to be evening out.

For the first one the Fatigue towards the end of Mensus, if you are not feeling significant discomfort from cramping then it is likely this is a muscle nutrient related issue, my guess is that it is in the energy supply chain to the muscles, most of the time you are fine, but when the Uterus gets into it's kneading process to discard the old lining this is draining a particular muscle nutrient from your body, hence it is reflected as fatigue in the rest of your muscles because your Uterus is hogging this nutrient. I would suggest you look into Acetyl L Carnitine & possibly CoEnzyme Q10, they go hand in hand, transporting fatty acids across the cell membrane and the into the Mitochondria, do a google to with "muscle fatigue" and each of the two supplements, they normally come from meat, but levels may be reduced by disease, medication, stress or other factors. If you try them and they work for you, then you may want to look at ongoing supplementation for a couple of months to get your levels up.
    *nods* thanks for the suggestions, i'll look into those. i think it's also relevant that my muscles tire very easily from weight-bearing exercise, and it seems recovery is much slower than it should be. i also tend to get dehydrated quite easily, especially during the summer, despite drinking what feels to be copious amounts of water. muscle fatigue makes sense.

Most Women do their iron supplementation during Mensus because that's when they lose blood, but the fact is that this blood was segregated from their normal blood supply two weeks before, so the rest of their body is not really feeling this loss.
    woah, you're absolutely right! my moods are dark, not angry. if i'm irritable it's because i just want to be left alone. but everyone's different, i'll pay more attention to iron and protein around ovulation.

As the moon grows she goes out and starts new things, when the moon is full (ovulation) she is at her greatest strengths (probably a man thing, but I imagine she is out hunting for blood under a full moon to feed her hunger), as the moon subsides she brings things to their conclusions, then when the moon is gone (Mensus) she retreates to the darkness & warmth and reflects on things transpired and emerges with new beginnings with the new moon.
    Words to that effect anyway, I think we should all try to link back into our natural cycles & circadian rythms, so to ease back at some points in your cycle is not an admission of defeat, it is an enhancement of your body and it's needs.
    That's my take on it anyway.
    that's pretty awesome, and i hope my husband is able to develop an attitude like yours. I don't usually beat myself about not exercising, but i worry about being perceived as lazy because i only do the bare minimum during this time. i mean, my family still gets home cooked meals, and i try to keep up with the housework, but really i'd prefer to stay in bed and not interact with anyone. (red tent anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    I've always had really horrible periods and they are still fairly horrible even with a good Primal diet. The cramps and nausea are a lot less now though. The things I think have helped me most:

Magnesium supplements - these aid peristalsis (movement of muscles in the bowel) and also reduce painful cramping.
    Omega 3 - I eat fish and also supplement, taking a larger dose during my period. I believe a high fat diet assists the natural cleansing down there.
    Herbal teas - Marigold/Calendula is a diuretic, it helps with bloating. Ginger tea, helps with nausea. Chamomile is calming.
    Chocolate!!! I try not to cheat too often but I think chocolate is an essential medicine at that time of the month!
    oh geez, nausea? *hugs* that's one thing that turns me into an emotional mess. I used to have some awful, gut-wrenching cramps, but more recently i've been eating a ton of greens (3-6 cups raw volume/day, for a total of 9 cups of fruits and veg/day) plus have been massaging my glutes/piriformis with a tennis ball whenever the cramps start (i can describe this in better detail if you're interested). This has made a tremendous difference, i really hadn't realized how much my pelvic tightness had been contributing to lower back and uterine cramps. during the massages, i can feel my entire pelvis just suddenly release and relax, and suddenly i have no pain. by comparison, after having three unmedicated labors i can tell you that my period cramps were close to the same intensity as transitional labor.

okay, so to recap:
    check into l-carnitine and CoQ10
    go with the flow
    iron-rich foods mid-cycle
    magnesium throughout
    omegas 3s (i'm still on the fence about omega 3 supplements)
    zinc
    electrolytes

thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Magnesium helps me; I get by okay, but then ran out of my Mg Softcaps, and the hard ones didn't do it (even though same brand, Nature's Way). Every day of the month, religiously. Since I had da kids, I also have these weird post-mens blues, before them it was only Pre-MS. Very strange and exhausting. Fish oil def helps too, but makes me break out big time. And, funnily, using a cup instead of other stuff helps too. That one runs more under one less annoyance/less pain to deal with.
    You can also look into Monk's pepper, that helps regulate hormones. And then there is a whole thing about natural progesterone, but not sure what that is about. Might be for perimenopause or something, not sure but could be looked into.
    Good luck! It sucks to spend so much time under hormonal weather, doesn't it?
    yeah, magnesium citrate does nothing for me (Mag calm or whatever that's called) unless i take it past "tolerance level." also, interesting that you have post-mens blues post-kids but not before. i really didn't have mood swings before kids (but then again, if i wanted to spend the day not talking to anyone, i could) and have only started dealing with post-mense blues after #3. this tells me it's probably nutritional (though i suppose "aging" is a possibility).

I didn't like the cups (i used a diva for a while), but i like Insteads. unfortunately, they're not as reusable, but oh well. diva seems to be held by PC muscles, creating a bit of muscle tension for me, whereas Insteads fit like a diaphragm over the cervix. much more comfy to me, and less rigid. anyway...

I've never heard of Monk's pepper. do you have any info on that?

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Regarding magnesium, I understand the best is chelated. Glycinate or malate.

PrimalCon New York
    gotcha. i just decided to get it straight from my vegetables instead of messing with different forms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12