Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got in a discussion today... page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Guy in my husband's class was arguing with me about food/nutrition today. His mom is into nutrition and taught home ec for something like 35 years. Very CW, very food pyramid.

The guy thinks our country's obesity problem is all because people aren't eating according to the food pyramid, are eating larger portions and more McDonald's, and are lazy non-exercisers.

Basically I gave him my spiel about eating things we evolved to eat, whole foods in their natural forms, that we don't need grains, that the insulin/glucose rollercoaster causes all types of problems... tried not to be too detailed with things until he probed me for details (by arguing w/CW "facts", not by asking).

I felt pretty good because every thing he brought up, I was not surprised by and had facts to back up "my side." Also felt GREAT that my husband who was sitting there joined in a bit... he pointed out to his friend that our brains are made up of mostly fat and that it's necessary for us to eat fat to function... and that when he eats the food I cook he doesn't get hungry between meals but that when he brings sandwiches to lunch, he comes home and searches for a snack immediately...

It was definitely cute/cool to see my husband jump in.

And definitely cool to have the knowledge to back me up.

Still don't think I changed our friend's mind even a little bit... he's very stubborn, as people are when they think they're doing everything by the book... but it was a little bit of fun.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

I always try to avoid discussions. Talk is cheap, and fattening.

"Guy in my husband's class was arguing with me about food/nutrition today"

Actually, you were arguing with *each other*. Nobody can have an argument with someone that doesn't argue back. :-)

I don't engage people in these kinds of discussions because a) it's an unnecessary drain on my generally positive energy and b) it's a fruitless effort. When it comes down to it, very few people are actually motivated by arguments. Shrugging your shoulders, smiling, and continuing to live a healthful, happy and awesome life is much more persuasive than a battle of facts could ever be.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

Good for you FlyNavyWife. I have learnt so much from changing my diet and reading all the research. It's nice that your husband is singing from the same hymn sheet too.

A year ago I would have scoffed at the ideas behind low carb eating but now I am a complete convert. You never know, people can change their ideas - look at us.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Awesome, FNW. Nothing like a little challenge to convince you that you really do know what you're talking about!

I agree with jo; a year ago I was mostly vegan and convinced that I had it right, nutritionally. Now I'm full-on Primal. People can change.

That said, I think they need a motivator. I find that the only productive Primal vs CW conversations I've had are those that begin with an opportunity to share BENEFITS rather than FACTS.

People start listening when they have a real problem and you have a potential solution (if you present it properly). Also, most people need a small bite to start with.

Yesterday, a coworker told me, enviously, "you're so thin!"

I simply thanked her and said, "Lift weights and don't eat grains. That's it!"

Of course, that isn't IT, but it's the bulk of the solution. If she wants to hear more, she can ask. I often find that once the seed is planted, people come back later wanting details.

It's what every salesman knows: you're not selling products, you're selling benefits.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Awesome, FNW! It's so rare to actually get a chance to present the arguments for PB at length. I have to compress my responses into something like haiku in the hopes they will be heard. And you never know if people understand what you say, because even when the seed has been planted, people almost never display conversion from fixed ideas on the spot.

But one of my buddies at work was actually interested, gave the science a fair hearing, and read up on MDA himself. He was a pudgy chronic cardio addict like me, but after a week it's amazing to see how much leaner and healthier he is. And he is ecstatic about how he feels. It's like watching what happened to me, all over again, in another person's life! So immensely gratifying! We've already signed up for a mud-run 5K in August, by which point we should both be ridiculously fit.

To me, a rare success like that completely makes up for all the struggles with willfully ignorant people (or "mule-headed confusers" as my wife vividly describes them). But even those people are bound to be swept along on the wave eventually, once the PB breaks out more to the mainstream (and you know it will).

So let's keep on advertising our lifestyle with our most effective tools of communication: healthiness, happiness, and a generous disposition.

Blorton is offline Senior Member

That's a great way to put it, Barbeygirl! I've been telling anyone who asks not to eat manmade junk, but I like your line much better.

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

I love debating as long as everyone can keep it friendly. I'll debate politics, diet, religion, books, history, movies, and video games with anyone who cares to as long as they can avoid ad hominem attacks - which I have zero patience for.

Brewtality Guest

The easiest time I have with it, is to simply ask them what sort of "essential nutrition" one gets from grains. No one has ever been able to give me anything other than fiber (which I point out is undigestable), and carbohydrates, which is easy to prove as unnecessary in quatities over what one gets from fruits and vegetables.

After that, just point out how much more nutrition is available in the same nuber of calories from the primal foods.

The key is not to tell them grains are evil. Just that they are unnecessary. This keeps the debate friendly, and keeps them willing to listen.

I find the easiest way to disprove the food pyramid is with the dairy food group. Since only like 70% of the world is lactose intolerant, how can it be an essential foodgroup? When they bring up soy milk, point out that it has only existed for the last 20 years or so.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Another one bites the dust thanks to FNW

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast