Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Will a crockpot make any beef tender? page 4

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Yes to long cooking, not peeking, adding an acid such as lemon or wine (tomato paste is great, too). I'm just finishing an awesome crocked pork shoulder + hocks that I did very, very little to and I can't believe it's this good. about 4 lb meat, a big onion, diced, a spice rub of salt, pepper, cayenne, and a couple other things, 6 hours in the crock and then top with balsamic vinegar or lemon and copious fatty liquid.
    I have a flank steak recipe that cooks the meat in a little beef broth, lemon juice and minced garlic. You only have to cook it for an hour and it is so good and tender. Of course, since it's a conventional recipe, they tell you to put the drippings over noodles, which I don't do. Sometimes I'll make rice or smashed potatoes or just use the extra to dip the meat in.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Does the stew meat come out of the slow cooker or pressure cooker tasting "livery" as most less-expensive cuts of beef usually taste?

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Not mine. The flavor is really good. 'Course I add things like onions or tomato paste or balsamic vinegar or mirepoix, etc

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    It'll make any muscle meat tender since the "fall apart" effect is essentially the muscle fibers collapsing. Something like liver is a different story since it's an organ and not a muscle.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    Does the stew meat come out of the slow cooker or pressure cooker tasting "livery" as most less-expensive cuts of beef usually taste?
    I've never had any cut of meat taste livery except for liver, which unfortunately I cannot stand.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    The tougher cuts of beef usually have that livery flavor. Maybe it's just me. I dunno.

Young092 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You absolutely cannot cook anything and have it come out tough.
    Last edited by Young092; 06-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234