View Poll Results: Do you subscribe to Gary Taubes's alternative hypothesis of obesity?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 40.58%
  • No

17 24.64%
  • Eh, kinda

24 34.78%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you subscribe to Gary Taubes's alternative hypothesis of obesity? page

Timthetaco Guest

Do you subscribe to Gary Taubes's alternative hypothesis of obesity?

Primal Fuel
    Just curious.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    It may be one factor in some cases, but that's about it. Plenty of people on this forum disprove his silly overstatements because we lost weight by *increasing* carbs.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Yes, with the proviso that he's talking to a specific group: those genetically predisposed toward obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes. Carbs were my downfall; attempts at controlling things via low-fat/carb-rich/calorie restrictive diet (with or without exercise) led nowhere; and adjusting my diet along the lines of his carb-insulin hypothesis (and Mark's carbohydrate curve, for that matter) has played out exactly as described in GCBC.

I understand his approach isn't universally applicable, and if I were a 25-year-old bodybuilder seeking to trim my last few % of BF I'd go a different route...I certainly don't begrudge anyone their sweet potatoes. But as it is, I credit Taubes as much as Sisson for my results (115+ lbs lost and innumerable health issues gone along with them) and often tire of seeing him maligned.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    Yes, with the proviso that he's talking to a specific group: those genetically predisposed toward obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes. Carbs were my downfall; attempts at controlling things via low-fat/carb-rich/calorie restrictive diet (with or without exercise) led nowhere; and adjusting my diet along the lines of his carb-insulin hypothesis (and Mark's carbohydrate curve, for that matter) has played out exactly as described in GCBC.

I understand his approach isn't universally applicable, and if I were a 25-year-old bodybuilder seeking to trim my last few % of BF I'd go a different route...I certainly don't begrudge anyone their sweet potatoes. But as it is, I credit Taubes as much as Sisson for my results (115+ lbs lost and innumerable health issues gone along with them) and often tire of seeing him maligned.
    I fall into that group, yet once I healed my body, carbs ceased being the enemy(and ketosis became very uncomfortable). If it helps people great, but while his intentions are good, he doesn't come close to explaining, let alone treating, the obesity epidemic.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I think his info is pertinent to a sub set of the obese, wish it were true for all, well actually I wish there was any theory that was true for all. Not sure what the reason for the "obesity epidemic" is, but I know that I did not become obese from sitting around eating fast food and drinking soda. Pretty sure we are going to find out that there are a huge number of less obvious factors in play.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

afroette is offline Member
    I do. I wasn't consistently losing weight until I severely restricted my carbs.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

Paleobird Guest

I agree but I would add that one doesn't necessarily have to be genetically pre-disposed. One can become at risk by age, other illness or injury, years of CW eating abusing the body. In my case inactivity due to several surgeries plus a blasted thyroid from chemo equaled weight gain. The low carb diet worked for me when nothing else did. And it has worked for a lot of people. It is not some small subset.

Bioletti is offline Member
    Yes I do. Gary Taubes is a great writer and researcher.

I look at it the way I did teachers and class periods in high school. My first period I had Dr. Atkins, lit a spark. The bell rang and then I went to Mr. Sean Croxton's class, learned how to say "Yo, what's up y'all!" and about a book called "Good calories, bad calories". The bell rang again and I went to Mr. Taubes class, learned a boatload of head scratching scientific stuff. Another bell rang and I went to my locker and let everything I had learned sink in while walking down the hallway.

Now I'm in Mr. Sisson's class and it's cool, cause I get to go barefoot, play outside and splash in the water like a kid and act like a Neanderthal. Life is good!
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Moochy is offline Senior Member

Same here. I was pre diabetic and only by lowering carbs under 70 grams per day was I able to lose weight. People who are metabolically unimpaired probably have no problem increasing their carb intake, especially if they do serious sports or exercise. However, go to the mall, the majority of the people you see are metabolically damaged and overweight...they are not lean or crossfitters.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

This is my experience too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast