View Poll Results: Do you subscribe to Gary Taubes's alternative hypothesis of obesity?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 40.58%
  • No

17 24.64%
  • Eh, kinda

24 34.78%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do you subscribe to Gary Taubes's alternative hypothesis of obesity? page 5

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    No doubt. Hormonal. Seen this in many nurses. Switch em over to day shift and watch their health status improve as the fat magically melts away.
    Yes, women working night shifts have double the risk of developing breast cancer. I'd like to see this increased risk be accommodated more. For example, splitting the shift at 4 am. I'm sure it's an historical thing, but here in the UK it's a full week of night shift shifts once every six weeks or thereabouts. I'm sure that one late nighter or shift starting early morning a week would pose less risk. It'd be trickier to schedule though, hence more expensive to administrate.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Why do you believe this? We do not need carbs. We need fats and protein or we perish. Physically active people IMO have a greater need for carbs for their own personal requirement. Impaired metabolic (Diabetic II/metabolic Syndrome) people should stay very low carb. Everyone else is somewhere on Marks curve. The fact that we get vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other benefits from eating vegetables and some fruit is a bonus. But, we do not need carbs.

I stay at 70 grams of carbohydrate or below every day to maintain fat burning as my primary source. For me, sugar is a killer to my system. Obesity, diabetes, hypertension run in my family.
    Also, it's not like Taubes was advocating a zero-carb diet. He simply pointed out that excessive carb intake can make you fat even when you are not eating a high calorie diet. That's a far cry from banning carbs.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    What's wrong with his theory on activity levels? Taubes points out that many of the obese have physically demanding jobs.
    I agree with his statement that sedentary behaviour is not the cause--I know lots of very active fat people. My issue is his claim that the drive for physical activity is caused by the metabolic conditions he believes lead to obesity--that people who are obese are driven to sedentary behaviour because of internal starvation. He claims that carbohydrates "decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity" (GCBC, first Anchor Books edition, p. 454).

The obese marathoners, long distance hikers, weight lifters, and others of my acquaintance seem to illustrate that one can have a high drive to be active despite being obese, so I question whether the correlation between obesity and physical inactivity necessarily proves Taubes' belief that sedentary behaviour is driven by insulin issues, since there are other possible explanations that might offer more room for the existence of people who are both active and overfat.

For example, high body weights can cause joint and muscle pain, and carrying extra weight can in itself be very demanding, so it may be that larger people are less active for those reasons. Also, as a culture, we're all quite sedentary, but we may place more focus on that when people are sedentary and fat rather than sedentary and thin. Additionally, exercise doesn't necessarily help much for losing weight, but we know that exercise is important for people who sustain significant weight loss over long periods, so it may assist people in maintaining body weight after fat loss, thus skewing numbers.

As I've said before, I don't think Taubes is all wrong (my vote above was for "eh, kinda"). I certainly give him a lot of credit for showing that people are not obese simply because they are lazy or stupid and pointing toward metabolic issues as one major cause of obesity. But I also don't think he gets it all right, and while insulin resistance is one cause of overfatness, I don't think it's the only one. He's worth reading, but I'm not in the "Taubes said it, I believe it, that settles it!" camp. Skepticism is healthy.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345