Thread: Carbs - does this sound correct ?? page

tallguy Guest

Shop Now

Have been low carbing for about 3 months now and have embraced the Primal way of eating. If i ever have to eat a lump of carbs, say 20g, i feel awful, bad brain fog, total lethergy. Is this right have i turned carb intolerant ??

I guess the motto is don't eat a small piece of birthday cake !!!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Does that include fruit? I mean, a banana has more than 20g of carbs.

But yeah, in general if I eat something non-primal now (especially anything with high fructose corn syrup, even a small amount) I really feel it... not in a good way.

But yesterday I had a little bit of rice and a small piece of bread for politeness' sake, but it didn't affect me negatively at all. Maybe because it was paired with really good, fatty French cooking.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Yeah, "lump of carbs" is pretty ambiguous. A waffle with syrup hits the stomach much differently than a navel orange.

FlyNavyWife, I've noticed, too, that when I eat something sugary but pair it with something fatty, I don't feel nearly as bad afterwards.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Dollface is offline Member

I too feel this way, I try not to lump really high carb foods at one sitting and spread them out during the day. Birtday cake always gives me a mean headache so I avoid it!

tallguy Guest

Sorry primalchild "lump of carbs" is a little misleading, what i should have said was "a lump of crap carbs, not a piece of fruit." The offending article was a piece of chocalate sponge cake with whipped cream - never again, killed me for 3 hours afterwards.

A banana, apple, orange etc. are all fine. Anyway glad to see i'm not the only one who has developed a physical response to crap carbs !!

Thanks again guys !!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Last time I went off and ate something crappy, I went through that too.

Trinkwasser Guest

My carb tolerance varies through the day, I'm still stuck around 15g at breakfast and was at 30g by evening but probably due to a massive reduction in insulin resistance my evening tolerance has improved considerably.

However I can still knock myself out quite effectively by succumbing to my aunt's "just the one won't hurt you!" when she brings round the cakes. Last time I thought I'd demonstrate the effect by nodding out in the armchair, I think it's finally sinking in!

The effects of a relatively brief glucose spike can last for several hours.

My usual antidote is a brisk walk *immediately* after eating the offending article: when my insulin output is at its somewhat pathetic maximum, exercise can pack away the glucose at a rate that can drive me hypo, a trick worth trying but not making a habit of.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

And was that "whipped cream" really Frankenfood Cool Whip? I am so astounded at the success of that product. It is crap food, you have to keep it in the freezer if not using it soon, and all that polyethylene container to hold a few oz of mostly air boggles me.

At least Redi-Whip is real cream and the steel can is so recyclable. Not as pure as whipping up your own topping from cream, but a good trade off of keeping it in the fridge for when you need it. IMHO, of course.