Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My low fat diet made me SO fat. Primal is the way to go! page

2LiveAgain Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi everyone! I found this websit last weekend and just can't get enough of this! I have been heavy all my life, and grew up eating tons of flour and sugar in the traditional "country" way. I have been on every diet imaginable. My mother started dragging me to her weight watcher meetings when I was only 14 years old and forced me to eat low fat, higher carb foods. I have spent my entire life trying desperately to get healthy and feel "good". By the time I graduated from high school, I was 180 lbs and felt like a little barrel with legs. By the time I graduated from college, I weighed 230 lbs and felt aweful physically and emotionally even though I was maintaining a low fat, fake food (lol) diet. Then I got married and started having kids (3 beautiful babies, lol). Now in my 40's I am only 5'3" and weighed in at a whopping 281.5 lbs. The last diet I was on (my medical doctor put me on this, gasp!) was a 1000 calorie, low fat, high carb diet in which I ate fake food (some type of bar). I was literally dying on this diet because I had NO energy, mood swings, and stayed in bed to the point that I had to miss school. I felt horrible!!! Of course, I know that type of diet really was killing me! So on Wed., March 17, 2010, I decided to throw the bars in the trash and give this a go since my low fat diets only made me fatter and more unhealthy than ever. I started eating the Primal way that day and I am in love with this "diet" already. For one thing, it really isn't a diet at all, it's a great way to eat for life. It is absolutely incredible that I have already lost 5 lbs in only THREE days!!! Also, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and hypothyroidism which after doing lots of research, is probably directly related to all the wheat products that were in my diet for forty years. I am really excited to see where the Primal way of eating takes me as I will no longer deprive myself of healthy fats, nor will I fill my body with wheat and grains! Meats, fats, low carb veggies, and low carb fruits are my new staples! Thank you Mark for creating this website!!! I hope to be known in the future as the incredibly shrinking woman who quit dieting and got her woo-sa on, the healthy way!

shepherd is offline Junior Member

Welcome to the Tribe, 2liveagain! We're glad to have you and equally glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery from the RA and thyroid troubles.

In your face, Space Coyote!

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Welcome! Low fat made me fat too. I put on anywhere between 70-80lbs.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Welcome! You're not going to feel hungry at all on this diet, and the weight will fall off.

Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Good to see another person awaken from the CW spell.

Low fat eating set me up for extreme weight swings over my lifetime.

185>145>205>170>230>173

Been at 173-175 for probably 3 months now, effortlessly, I should add. Best thing I've ever done, for sure!

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Welcome, 2LiveAgain, and congrats on your early success! From your story, it sounds like your ailments are completely reversible. I never would have thought that possible about my own ailments, except that my body proved otherwise once I gave it a steady diet of PB.

Have fun! It might be a rough couple of weeks as you turn your metabolism around, but when you see the progress add up, following the PB becomes easy. And life becomes truly livable!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I love the gesture of tossing the "bars" into the trash! ("TAKE THAT! and STAY OUT, TOO!!!!")

I've lived far too long right around 281.5. I know all about how that goes, and I'm ready to leave it behind for good.

I'm just getting the first little visible improvements after switching over and gradually eliminating the addictive foods, like cheese.

I think we're onto something good.

2LiveAgain Guest

Hey, thanks everybody!!! It's great to have all of this support. I really appreciate it SO much!!!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Welcome! So glad you found your way here.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

I'm so excited for you! There is definitely a strong link between gluten in general and hypothyroidism (and hypothyroidism and RA), so you're on the right path:-)

There is a great book called "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms" by Datis Kharrazian, that I highly recommend. It addresses the underlying auto-immune factor in most hypothyroidism (which especially applies to you, since you have RA). I guarantee it will change your life!

http://www.thyroidbook.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast