Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting very tired page 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    more sleep, yes. very few can truly function well on 5 hours. i can do ok with that a few days a week, and often have to because of my work schedule, but i don't feel "good" on those days.

magnesium helps.

have you tried sleep-inducting tricks? like a very dark room, no computer or tv at least an hour before you lay down, no eating several hours before bedtime, no caffeine past noon, etc.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I feel really tired lately, too, and I've noticed a few new threads recently with similar complaints. I wonder if around summer solstice we're all just too stimulated by the longer light to get adequate and restful sleep.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes, orange juice, fruit, Coke.

coke? seriously? that shit ate my bones.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Some good ideas here (and some dreadful ones. Coke? Puhleeeze.)
    I would say start with the sleep first. Get a good 8 hours and see if that fixes it.
    Then check the electrolyte situation.
    If all that is good and you are still tired, then think about adding carbs.

All the sweet potatoes in the world are not going to be "the fix" if you are not getting enough sleep.

fatfran is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your input paleobird, I saw my chiropractor today & he was talking with me about iodine & thyroid function. He's going to check these things out for me starting with iodine level. I try to get to bed early but I hardly accomplish it. If I do happen to get in bed by 8, I just lay there. Very frustrating considering all day I've been tired. I've read some things here about iodine so maybe he's onto something.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fatfran View Post
    Thanks for your input paleobird, I saw my chiropractor today & he was talking with me about iodine & thyroid function. He's going to check these things out for me starting with iodine level. I try to get to bed early but I hardly accomplish it. If I do happen to get in bed by 8, I just lay there. Very frustrating considering all day I've been tired. I've read some things here about iodine so maybe he's onto something.
    Careful with the iodine supplementation. Yes I know there is a huge thread claiming it cures everything from cancer to hangnails but, until a real MD runs tests and finds a deficiency, I wouldn't jump into supplements. They can do as much harm as good if not more depending on your situation. I'm sure your chiropractor is a great practitioner but he/she is not an endocrinologist.

I hope you sort it out soon and feel better.

fatfran is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Careful with the iodine supplementation. Yes I know there is a huge thread claiming it cures everything from cancer to hangnails but, until a real MD runs tests and finds a deficiency, I wouldn't jump into supplements. They can do as much harm as good if not more depending on your situation. I'm sure your chiropractor is a great practitioner but he/she is not an endocrinologist.

I hope you sort it out soon and feel better.
    Thanks for the cautions, I won't take them lightly. I've never been a fan of any sort of pill. I didn't even like taking the 1 iodine pill for the test which consisted of a 24 hour urine collection. Going to get that sent off today. I'll post back with the results.

9 Steps to Perfect Health – #4: Supplement Wisely

Iodine also plays a crucial role in thyroid function, and it prevents brain damage and strengthens the immune system. The amount iodine needed for thyroid function is incredibly small: we need about a teaspoon of iodine over a lifetime to avoid deficiency. I’m not convinced humans need to supplement with iodine above what can be obtained from seafood, but some research does suggest that increased intake of iodine is beneficial. This is especially true if you’re fighting a chronic infection or dealing with a hypothyroidism caused by iodine deficiency.
    i'd be eating seaweed and more seafood before i started messing around with iodine supplementation.

Ernest Hemingway

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I installed F.Lux on my computer to cut out blue light, and I try to go to bed when the sun goes down, or at least limit my light exposure at night, seemed to make my sleep much better quality, and it's okay to eat carbs time to time, maybe have a potato or rice after a workout.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast