Thread: Baby Weight page

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I need some advice from any postpartum primal ladies out there. I gave birth to my second child almost 6 weeks ago. I gained 35 pounds total during my pregnancy and lost 20 pounds quickly within the first 2-3 weeks. I have not lost another pound since then and I am getting very frustrated!

I am nursing and feel very hungry and thirsty all day long. My daily calories seem to be from 2700-3000 per day, with about 60% from fat. My daily carb intake is typically between 100-120 grams, mostly from eating 1 or 2 pieces of fruit per day, and protein is around 150 grams.

I have mostly just been walking since the new baby arrived (4-5 hours per week), although I have been able to work in some light jogging and body weight exercises in the past week. After my 6 week postpartum checkup in a few days I will be able to incorporate more intense exercises like sprinting.

I would love to hear about your experiences with baby weight and eating a primal diet. Im not sure what I can change at this point, but would love to hear any ideas. Thanks!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

It may not be specifically a postpartum issue. To lose those last 15 or so pounds usually requires the following:

1) caloric deficit (not necessarily daily)

2) elimination of dairy

3) IF

4) further restriction of fruit and nuts (a couple times a week at most)

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Are you breastfeeding? I know a lot of people whose bodies held on to 10-15 "extra" pounds while they breastfed (makes sense - your body wants a little extra "store" in case you have a mini famine and still need to make milk for your baby) but as soon as they stopped, it dropped off.

Also obviously if you are breastfeeding please don't do calorie restriction/IF in order to try to lose the weight.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Yup.....you are hungry and thirsty because making milk is a metabolically costly process....on average about 500 calories/day over that needed to maintain weight.

You don't want to lose fat rapidly during this time, because all of us in this industrialized world store toxins in our fat, and these will pass into breast milk at higher concentrations if you liberate them from your body stores quickly.

Plus, it's a stressful time, after the baby. Sleep deprivation, the demands of caring for an infant 24/7....even if it's your second baby, you are a new family with a second child, and it is an adjustment.

I wouldn't focus on the scale at all right now....just eat well, rest when you can, focus on that all-important low-level activity, and enjoy your baby. The body will come back better and easier if you don't push it, but allow yourself to recover.

Having a baby is A Very Big Deal.

Sooze

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

Yes, I am breastfeeding. I also breastfed my son but didn't have any issues losing the weight I gained. I think that is what is most frustrating, since I didn't have any problems before.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I always went by the "nine-months on, nine-months off" thing. Lack of sleep will keep you from loosing weight & you're certainly right there in lack of sleep land!

Keep in mind, too, that the first 20# would be a lot of water weight from blood volume changes as well as just plain ole water retention. Especially with breastfeeding, you don't want to restrict you calories too much. Maybe cut out the fruit? I wouldn't try IF'ing with such a small little one.

You've been doing PB while pregnant, right? You may have gained some muscle while preggie. If so, you might not go down to the pre-preggie weight.

Tarlach is offline Member

My wife was back under pre-pregnancy weight (after her second child) in about 10 weeks.

She ate strict paleo during and after pregnancy, never restricted calories, and did very little exercise.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

femininefigure is offline Junior Member

I wasn't perfect both during and after, though Primal eating is always ideal. I'm 5'6" and I gained 40 lbss--went from 125 to 165. I lost in "chunks". After a few weeks, I weighed 142 and was steady until I spent a couple weeks being very strict at around 4 mo. pp, and I lost another 10. The last 10 came off suddenly at 8 months pp,and now I'm 123. I havent exercised much. My son is 9.5 months.