Thread: Too little fat? page

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member

Too little fat?

Shop Now
    I am wondering if perhaps my body fat is getting a little too low for a female who wants to have babies at some point in the next ten years.
    Some details: I'm a 24 year old female, 5'7" and about 126 pounds. I do yoga about 3 times a week and crossfit about 3 times a week. I started crossfit about a month ago; prior to crossfit, I was doing yoga almost every day and weighed about 122 lbs. Obviously I have put on some muscle (I put on muscle really easily). I think I am getting enough rest (some days I don't do any workout, some days I'll do yoga + crossfit, some days one or the other) and I try to actively recover with long walks and bike rides. I have also been eating a lot more since I started xfit and have upped my starch intake. I don't know my body fat % but I don't appear to have a ton of it (I can see my abs - not six pack style but I can see them).
    Basically, I love being active and I have tons of energy. I want to get stronger, I feel good with my level of activity and don't want to give it up, but if this is what happens after only a month of crossfit, I am afraid that I will turn into some infertile freak woman with no fat, which is not natural. Should I just add more food? More carbs so I can maintain body fat?

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    I would say as long as you are having normal cycles and periods that you can keep going with your regimen. Fertility is complex behind the scenes, and you won't know til you try. I'm betting over the next decade you'd have no trouble. Age really seems to be the big factor, ie if everything looks good on the outside with cycles and flow but you are old, infertility goes way up. My friends in their mid thirties are having difficulties trying to having their first.

Mommymd

Yes, unfortunately I've never had normal cycles. I was on and off of the pill since age 16 and whenever I was off, my period was irregular. Sometimes it's been missing for as long as five months! My ob/gyn has run tests upon my request, but he doesn't seem to have any answers for me as to why it's irregular. I have been off of the pill for about a year and a half and my cycle seems to be getting more regular (about every two months) but this is still far from ideal. So, for me, menstrual cycle is not really a good indicator of what's going on. Ugh!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    add more food and see what happens. it's the only way to know for sure.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    You can pick up a set of calipers at GNC for about $10, not exactly super accurate, but it makes for a good ballpark on your body fat with a few percent if done correctly.

A good calculator and instructions:
    Body Fat Calculator 6 formulas to calculate body fat percentage

Going under 14-15% isn't going to be good, generally speaking. Personally (just my $.02)I find 15%-19% range the most attractive, you can see some ab outline, but no six pack.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Thanks Wanderlust! Yes, I was at 14% a few years ago when lifting heavy and I looked good but let's just say I don't think I would have been able to get pregnant. I'll pick up some calipers.