Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Imagine.............what if?.......... page 4

KatFish is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hunter-gatherer societies relied on vast expanses of natural forest. There is not enough forest to sustain our current population. Industry allowed us to grow to numbers not possible in "nature" and on lands that arn't really suitable. Hence why many poor countries now rely on food handouts from richer countries. I don't believe this way of living is sustainable. :/ If land cannot support a population then we shouldn't be living there.

If we somehow reduced our population then it could be possible, however for the time being it is not as simple as that. The main difficulty lies in the corporations, they are short-sighted and are driven by profits. They will not see the advantage in switching to grass fed beef or switching from coke to say health supplements. It is not in there best interest, it is a human interest... this is why I am so against coporations. They're a seperate entity, a profit-driven beast if you like.

The only way to fix this insanity is to simply not participate in it. The more people that ignore this wretched beast, the less power it will have. Oh shucks, I sound crazy..... lol

I wish we could all just jump back into the forests, that would be awesome.

@PDC yes, little population differences like that make me happy.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

WEll I am a hardcore anarcho-primitivist~ When I think about everyone living PB, two things immediately come to mind: Brrzt, no. If everyone lived PB, we'd still have the same basic problems that industrial culture does. The problem comes from everyone living the same way. More variety is needed. Two, can I get my grass hut now? ;3

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

KatFish ... you make a lot of good points.

It seems to me that if the paradigm shifts away from the low-fat dieting, and subsidized grain growing, we could write Congress and make a ruckus, and ask to have the subsidies for corn, soy, and wheat industrial-sized farms gradually phased out and subsidies for grassfed meat phased in. After all, pastured meat has been facing unfair competition for decades because feedlots' grain and soy have been subsidized and hence unnaturally cheap.

The best thing we can do, even if it seems tiny and powerless, is to buy what we want and avoid buying what we don't want. Also, take our money out of too big to fail banks and brokerages, and move it to local credit unions. And stop using credit and carrying debt, because every use of loans pays interest to the very people we should not be supporting. In my humble opinion ...

If we take our money back and put it in local small institutions, and buy local food, and pay off debt, and spend some of our capital for land and tools to grow our own food, it will be like gradually taking one ounce after another off the scales, away from Big Agro, Big Pharma, Big everything. The balance can gradually almost imperceptibly shift, even though it is slow, like steering the Queen Mary. These very tiny, very subtle grassroot changes should frighten Big Everything, because though tiny, they are very hard to control or eliminate.

shastagirl Guest

dont forget all those millionaire and billionaires and their vast expanses of manicured lawns. what a waste of beautiful land that could be used to grow nutritious vegetables, keep happy animals, or have beautiful native forest grow upon it.

avocado is offline Senior Member

PDL, I've thought about it (Oregon) :-) ... but dang, I do love my sun. Then again, I've always lived in suburbs. I might not like urban as much as I think I would. It's not that I think it's a perfect solution, obviously. But I am sick of 'burbs. And I don't have a rural career path.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

There's sun in the summer, avocado, but yeah, the winters are dark and damp.

Oregon has cities, burbs, semi-rural areas, and really rural areas. It has a lovely coast, and coastal forests, and real mountain forests east of the Willamette Valley. It also has a tremendously sunny eastern 2/3, east of the Cascades. But the progressive state of mind tends to dwell in the north-western part.

anniegebel Guest

Maybe kids would learn where food comes from. I grew up in farm country, but I've met some adults who've driven through my hometown and seen a cow for the first time.

What a world it could be!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

I imagine a world where everyone has more useful skills. A few years ago, my husband and I noticed that we could do very little to help ourselves with problems- we have to hire someone else to fix everything or we had to buy everything we needed. We are focusing on making more things ourselves and learning to repair our own problems. This is a direct result from my PB switch, and really it all started with cooking. That led to growing my own food. Pretty soon it meant that he was splitting firewood (rather than picking up a bundle at the store) and fixing our frozen pipes.

I'd love to send my kids to a school where they learn more practical skills. I could have used it.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Oh, yes.....education. It would be so different. There are wonderful studies out there that show that the right kind of physical activity grows more neurons. (see networkleader.pbworks.com/.../Research+Linking+Physical+Activity+and+Cognition.d oc - )

Can you imagine schools in which classes started with a sprint, or a dance, or with physical work in the greenhouse in which all schools grew a portion of their fresh vegetables?

Sooze

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

As for what we'd see in schools...

I am obese (working on that, obviously), and it makes me very sad that the students I teach are either very athletic--but starving, and spending 3-4 hours a day exercising at a time in their lives when being fit should come easily--or they are just plain fat and sedentary.

There's not a whole lot in the way of naturally-healthy young bodies in the hallways, and that's sad.

It's like many young people look at their athletic peers and think, "If that's what I have to do to look good/be fit, then nevermind--at least I won't be having knee surgery every summer."

And the athletes look at their fat peers and think, "What I'm doing is unpleasant and painful and I'm assuming I'll have knee surgery again this summer, but I guess it's better than being fat."

I imagine that in a primal world most of the kids I spend my day teaching would be a whole hell of a lot happier--more fit, rested, and alert; and they wouldn't be having knee surgery every summer...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast