Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Living and Gaining Muscle page

TroyB Guest

I am about to embark on a Paleo Lifestyle. I have ordered The Primal Blueprint and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

I have a question. Is a Paleo Lifestyle conducice to gaining muscle. I am currently 69KG with about 15%BF. I want to get to 80KG with less than 10% BF. I am 183 cm tall. I plan on hitting the weights with a trainer 3 to 4 times per week.

I am a 25 year old male.

Are my goals even remotely possible on a Paleo diet?

SullynNH Guest

I'm on a similar trek, been eating primal for about 2 weeks. I notice it takes my body a couple reps in the first sets to gt going, but I find I have more strength now. I don't see why it would not be possible as long as you are taking in enough calories and aren't in a deficit.

Mark Sisson is online now Administrator

Troy B, Check back next week for a post on How to Put on Muscle... the PB Way.

TroyB Guest

Thanks, Mark! Perfect timing. Hope my book arrives soon. Can't wait to read it and start putting on muscle while losing fat!

SullynNH Guest

Mark, that's awesome...can't wait to read it! I tend to be a hard gainer, get very strong though like Bruce Lee, a skinny dude to quote the PB

Tarlach is offline Member

I find that eating pure paleo has made it a lot easier to put on muscle. I spent years in the gym, eating protein powder and creatine and got no where.

I have put on more muscle in 6 months eating paleo and working out at home than I did in 3 years at the gym. I also don't use protein powder or creatine.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Conan Guest

To answer your question in one word - yes.

mseibel is offline Junior Member

Mark, I'm looking forward to reading that post as well. I'm in the same boat as these other guys. In the last couple of weeks I've swapped out a lot of calories from carbs to fats, so it will be interesting to see what kind of results I get.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Troy,

I can't guarantee you'll achieve everything you're looking for, but you can absolutely put on muscle with the primal lifestyle. I've gained 15 lbs since changing my workouts and diet. I haven't tested my composition, but my pants fit the same as 15 lbs ago and everybody tells me how big (muscular) I am.

What I don't know is how much of my lean tissue increase is due to exercise and how much due to diet. I started eating primal the same time as I cut way back on my running and started doing a lot more high intensity strength work.

Your protein intake will probably go way up when you go primal...I feel like that has had a lot to do with my muscle gain, although I don't have any proof of that. I also feel like the explosive, high intensity strength work has helped a lot. When you say you'll be lifting a few times a week, I wonder if that means conventional lifting or more CrossFit style workouts? Conventional lifting, in my opinion, isn't going to do you any favors in losing significant bodyfat. Read up on CrossFit and blast your body to smithereens with their workouts...that'll help you lose fat.

Best of luck, keep us updated on your progress!

mseibel is offline Junior Member

I think I unwittingly did this experiment. When I started the Paleo diet I was 10%bf (how I got there is another story). I was eating low fat, about 1g protein per body lbs, vegetables, and a lot of fruit. I don't know what the nutrient breakdown was exactly, but I was eating about 2400 calories a day. I was doing P90X, so I was working out. I did this for about 9 months and I went to about 14%bf and no discernable muscle gain. Since I've switched to PB over the last couple of weeks I've swapped carb calories for fat and am now at 13%bf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast