Thread: Play? page

Ripped is offline Senior Member

Play?

Hi all! I have a question about this one if you don't mind!

My exercise regimen is more like the new age HIT routines where you only do one intense workout per week. And believe it or not, it actually does work quite well to keep my muscles strong. And then I just use diet to keep the fat off.

But I do realize the additional benefits I would obtain from being more active. I think the main thing I'm thinking about is the mood elevation that comes from it. Additionally, I've got 10 lbs I want to drop and I don't want to cut calories any further. Heck, if I keep my diet the same, as little as a walk a day would probably be enough to shed those last 10 lbs in about a half a year.

So anyways, I'm just wondering about some ideas. What are some good physical activities to do on your leisure time? What's a good way to give myself a kick in the but to actually do it without it seeming like a "chore" or something? I don't want to do any extra "work". But if it isn't work and its all "fun" instead, I'm all for it!

I am quite lean and healthy and I know I can do it. But I think I just have to find something that I can enjoy doing. Throw some ideas at me!

Thanks in advance!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Great question and a great rationale. Two HITs a week you would probably see better results too, but seems like you have pretty modest goals and a common sense plan to get there.

Depending on where you live this list may not be very helpful!
    Hiking
    Bouldering
    Free Diving
    Tree Climbing, you can never be too old!
    Swimming
    Bicycle Riding (not my thing)
    Volleyball (beach preferred)
    Jungle Gyms! (I've got the maturity of a 12 y/o)
    Kayaking
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Tracy is offline Junior Member
    Play tag with some friends! Seriously. You can't NOT smile and it could also count as your sprinting.

a-ray is offline Member
    I have to agree with Mark in that playing a weekly game of Ultimate is great exercise and fun. We get a group together around here and play for a couple hours at a time and the night just seems to fly by.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I play indoor soccer once a week and otherwise chase my 2yo and 4yo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hiking, backpacking and walking in an area where I can stop to watch birds are my form of play. I'm not really into sports so much as quiet, contemplative activities in nature. I would kayak too if the ocean wasn't so cold, wet and deep.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Tashimojo is offline Junior Member
    I recently bought a boomerang and have been learning how to throw it. Since it rarely comes back to me so far, it's been a great way to be active and outdoors. It's fun too... some days it involves more tree climbing than it does throwing!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Kids. If you don't have your own, borrow the neighbors. My kids always have the neighborhood kids over, and they pester me to death till I jump on the trampoline, play kickball, play dodgeball.....ect with them. I have a good time with it though. Some 40-50lb first grader tosses are better than a sandbag anyday. Now THATS functional strength.

patrickh is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with what some others have said. Having friends that will participate really makes a difference. I just recently purchased a longboard skateboard for the times when I can't find a friend to throw a frisbee or slackline. I can't wait for it to get here so I can start bombing some hills.