Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - been a veggie - feeling sick eating meat page

Mindi Guest

Primal Fuel

Just read the book and it makes so much sense!

I was recently tested and as I long suspected am allergic to gluten, dairy, and eggs, (also avocados and almonds?) I'm not allergic to any meats. Problem is I have been a vegetarian for many years. Have been eating a little meat now and it makes me feel nauseated and heavy. Also have basic gross out that I am eating a cow, pig, etc. Anyone else have these problems and/or suggestions? How about any alternative non-dairy, non-meat protein sources?

Help and thanks!

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

There's been a lot of talk on here about it, but have you read The Vegetarian Myth? It might at least help you get over the gross out factor.

The only other suggestion/question I have is, what about fish?

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm a reformed vegetarian, myself.

What helped me in the beginning were STIRFRIES and SOUPS.

It's easier to eat a soup with chunks of cut up chicken than to eat a drumstick at first. It's easier to eat a nice, hearty vegetable stirfry with pieces of fish cooked with coconut milk and lots of spices than a rare steak at first. The stuff cut up looks a little like tofu chunks.

It helped me, too, that when I did go back to eating meat, I was fastidious about my sources. I pretty much only buy from farmers whose farms I have visited so I can see how they treat the animals. As long as they are treated well, pastured, grassfed, free-range, etc., I feel good about the choices I make.

It also helps to say a prayer or blessing before meals, thanking the animal for its nourishment, kind of with the reverence that traditional hunters feel for their prey.

Good luck....and keep at it,

Sooze

Mindi Guest

Thank you for your support and suggestions!

I'm going to have to read The Vegetarian Myth because the gross out/upset factor is a major stumbling block. It has been recommended several times now by ex-vegetarians so it must be good - thank you.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever be able to eat fish, I can't even stand the smell of it. It's more of a physical aversion than a mental one.

That's very hardcore, going to the farms. I admire your dedication to checking on the quality of the animal's life but if I actually looked into those big brown eyes, it would make it even harder. I will try your suggestion of cutting meat up and putting it in soups and stir fries.

Most of all, I like the idea of saying a prayer before meals and thanking the animal for its nourishment. That may help me more than anything else I have read, gratitude and reverence. Thank you very much for that suggestion. An animal is so much more than just calories and protein and that is a beautiful way to acknowledge it. There are many Native American stories about their relationship with the land and plants and animals. I think that is what is missing for me here, a sense of spirituality and "right living." Thinking more about it, I'm beginning to understand more how you could go to the farms and later eat the animals.

twinmama is offline Senior Member

Hi there... just a little note, as the daughter of a commercial fisherman... FRESH fish, does not smell AT ALL! If you can smell it... toss it... yuck!

You might try some white fish (halibut, tilapia, etc.) Find a fish monger... and you're likely to be set... Good luck with the meat issue. I'm sure it's a hard conversion...

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Mindi, look in those soft brown eyes, and then realize that they wouldn't be there at all if no one ate meat. That animal wouldn't have a life, good, bad, or indifferent. If the life is good, feel gratitude that you can be part of keeping that creature, contented, in its pasture.

Mindi Guest

PrimalWannabe, just want to let you know that I passed the prayer suggestion on and another member found it helpful as well - thank you.

twinmama, it's quite possible that I have never had FRESH fish. I will have to try it as an experiment and see - thank you for the tip.

piano-doctor-lady, hi again, and thanks again, I have to figure our how this website works! LOL

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned, Mindi, this website works damned well! Never found anyplace quite like it.

Catalina is offline Member

Mindi,

Keep in mind that part of the nausea could be from coming off of the grains/carbs. It happens to a lot of people. You might want to check out this website:

http://www.certifiedhumane.org/

It has information about resources that humanely raise the cattle, etc. I try to use these kinds of sources, along with organic products. I think that kind of appreciation for the source of all food is important.

Mindi Guest

Thank you for the link Catalina. I'm still learning what things like "certified humane" really mean. The website makes it very clear.

I have to say that I am extremely shocked at how few farms and ranches have this certification! The majority of them are for eggs. I hope the popularity of Primal Blueprint increases the demand for humanely raised animals.

That said, it's a real stretch for me to pay the extra money for organic, certified humane, and other high quality foods. (Still feels weird to call animals food.) I'm shifting my budget around so I can make it a priority. This is a big lifestyle change for me. I know I'm going to have to ease into it, but I once I get up to speed I have no doubt I will feel much better than I do now.

I do think the nausea is from eating meat and it has been suggested that I try digestive enzymes, so I'll look into that.

The fact that people on the forum are so supportive and helpful also speaks well for this diet/lifestyle.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast